• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

wristband fast pass vs. traditional

doconeill said:
I'm only point out that it COULD be a problem, since it is 100% speculation anyways as to what they will do in this regard - and you are free to disagree with any speculation.

But several people did show the numbers that the attractions do not have the capacity to handle everyone on a given day as it is, and it is quite conceivable that even if they limit selections to 1 E-ticket per day, and give ALL slots to pre-booking, that they can be all taken before the day in question - unless, like I said, the number of people actually pre-booking who are eligible to don't. That could depend on how much the day guests plan ahead.

And whether they reserve some for day-of, or it's just the "leftovers", that doesn't get rid of the "running of the guests" trying to get what's left - supposedly one of the things they are trying to avoid.

As I pointed out back when those people were making those calculations, their logic was flawed because they were making the assumption that all park guests had the ability and interest to ride any specific 'e-ticket' ride. For instance, I like SM just fine, but I only choose to ride it on perhaps a tenth of my visits. My wife has ridden it once and hated it. She won't choose to ride it again. Our children a too young to be allowed on.

Yeah but now that FP+ is coming you'll have to come back during your scheduled ride window... :duck: joking only joking

For my family I don't know that we've ever pulled more than 3 FP's in a day anyway so that limit wouldn't be a problem for us, if that's what it is. Plus, if it's like an ADR where I can see a window of times and select then I don't think that would be too difficult to coordinate even months ahead of time. It's kind crazy to have to schedule your rides months before going, but if that's the deal then what can you do. :confused3

Then the only issue to you then will be how they will group the rides you can choose FPs for. You might have only used 3 per day before, but if you want 3 headliners, that could be a problem.

Sometimes 3 is not always 3.

As I pointed out back when those people were making those calculations, their logic was flawed because they were making the assumption that all park guests had the ability and interest to ride any specific 'e-ticket' ride. I like SM just fine, but I only choose to ride it on perhaps a tenth of my visits. Other guests will not even consider it because they don't enjoy it or physically cannot ride it or don't meet the ride's requirements.

But the differences in attendance vs. capacity were significant enough that it is entirely possible that even accounting for that it is still a large gap. And we don't know how many simply choose not to ride. If the old anecdote that a majority of WDW visitors are first-timers, I'd expect they'd want to do everything they can.

We won't get a good sense of this at all until it is completely rolled out. And again, I'm just pointing out that it's all conjecture on how Disney will or won't handle day-of FP+ so that no one goes in with a complete expectation one way or the other.

Then the only issue to you then will be how they will group the rides you can choose FPs for. You might have only used 3 per day before, but if you want 3 headliners, that could be a problem.

Yes this is true, but I'm hoping that if it's like a 180 day window like dining is, that if you jump on the ride scheduler at 6 months out, it should be no problem getting a ride time near the time you want to go. :surfweb: You just have to be proactive.

mom2rtk said:

Until more information is released, we don't know that FP+s will be grouped for selection, at all. So far, that's just more speculation.

Until more information is released, we don't know that FP+s will be grouped for selection, at all. So far, that's just more speculation.

But that speculation is at least based on testing they've been doing for 5 years :) Every test has been tiered.

doconeill said:
But that speculation is at least based on testing they've been doing for 5 years :) Every test has been tiered.

I'm not sure that this is correct. For one thing, the system that runs FP+ hasn't been around for five years. Also, according to one recent post (which might have been made by you), they only just now about to run the first full system test. Lastly, it would not at all be extraordinary if early testing does not look much like a final product.

We did the give a day get a day program in 2010. We chose the fastpasses. They were on the tiered program but were not prebooked. After I began hearing about the new fastpass + I knew we were test subjects also. Those were really nice but we had access to the regular fastpasses also. All the speculation now is killing me because we are going the first of April. We are staying at all star sports so I am not counting on being part of the current test bank but on the same hand we don't know how fast things are going to move. Sigh.

I'm not sure that this is correct. For one thing, the system that runs FP+ hasn't been around for five years. Also, according to one recent post (which might have been made by you), they only just now about to run the first full system test.

Yes, I posted that it looks like they are able to start testing the "full system" - that is, the use of MagicBands along with FP+, touch-to-pay, etc.

They've been testing FP+ itself for at least the past year, with limited, tiered selections at every test, including the most recent one just over a month ago.

Prior to that, there was the Birthday Fastpass cards in 2009, and the Give A Disney Day Fastpass cards in 2010. Both were limited, tiered selections - their first real tests of how tiered selections would be used by guests.

And even before that, from 2006-2008, there were the Dream Fastpasses, which might have been the earliest test of some sort of change in the system, but it wasn't tiered - it was simply one-per-attraction, use anytime system. If it WAS a test, it was a system they decided against, or it gave them their first data in order to determine what guests would select to definitely use vs. throw away (we only used two of the six at AK).

Now, the biggest difference in any of these tests from the way FP+ is currently advertised to work is that in all cases, you could still use regular Fastpasses. We know that isn't going to happen now - which is why there is a lot of hope that day-of FP+ will still be available.

But if they want to have a chance at keeping enough FP+ on E-tickets for day-of use (assuming none held in reserve), they would likely need to limit peoples choices by tiering.

You mentioned expanding the number of FPs per attraction - that's assuming they aren't already using the maximum practical amount to keep the attraction operating at peak efficiency. The theoretical maximum is, of course, 100%, but it is impractical since they give you at least some leeway to return, and therefore there would be natural ebbs in the flow - at times less than 100% of the guests needed to use all the seats/slots/etc., and at times more (causing the FP line to have delays) and making the standby line irrelevant. So there is a more practical maximum such that most of the guests use the FP line but the standby line still moves reasonably.

doconeill said:
But if they want to have a chance at keeping enough FP+ on E-tickets for day-of use (assuming none held in reserve), they would likely need to limit peoples choices by tiering.
That is supposition. You and I have no idea whether tiering would be necessary for this purpose, or not.

That is supposition. You and I have no idea whether tiering would be necessary for this purpose, or not.

So is everything else in this thread except the OP's initial question which was answered. Since every post I make is met with you saying "That is supposition", which I have made clear, there is no need to continue with this thread.

Every FP+ related thread doesn't have to be a potpourri of unsubstantiated supposition. Continuing to repeat these guesses buries what is actually known and confuses those who haven't waded through what has actually been released. Therefore, it is important to note when things are not known to be true and where people's conclusions seem to be inaccurate

Every FP+ related thread doesn't have to be a potpourri of unsubstantiated supposition. Continuing to repeat these guesses buries what is actually known and confuses those who haven't waded through what has actually been released. Therefore, it is important to note when things are not known to be true and where people's conclusions seem to be inaccurate

The tiering is hardly "unsubstantiated supposition" or "guesses" when Disney's been testing tiered FPs for several years, which is why I say it is likely but by know means certain. Heck, FP+ hasn't been rolled out yet, so therefore it isn't certain it will ever be. Disney HAS announced things and never followed through. So by that vein you should be arguing that FP+ actually happening is supposition.

Yes this is true, but I'm hoping that if it's like a 180 day window like dining is, that if you jump on the ride scheduler at 6 months out, it should be no problem getting a ride time near the time you want to go. :surfweb: You just have to be proactive.

I do think that if you're proactive and schedule the high demand rides at the earliest possible moment, you should be fine. Especially for the first months or even year that this rolls out and your average visitor doesn't know about FP+ or understand the importance of actually following through.

But same day adjustments? I imagine this will be like dining (at venue like LeCellier, BOG or CRT) and your odds of a same day adjustment on TSMM or Soarin (and a few others) are one step above zero.

doconeill said:
The tiering is hardly "unsubstantiated supposition" or "guesses" when Disney's been testing tiered FPs for several years, which is why I say it is likely but by know means certain. Heck, FP+ hasn't been rolled out yet, so therefore it isn't certain it will ever be. Disney HAS announced things and never followed through. So by that vein you should be arguing that FP+ actually happening is supposition.
There's a rather huge difference between guesses about how the system will work and the odds that a system that is clearly being rolled out is going to be trashcanned.

This is the problem with us not knowing how the system is actually going to be like until it is fully initiated. It's the uncertainty that is creating the concerns for us!

Maybe all of doconeill speculations will not turn out to be accurate, but basing it on his previous track record and the information that is out, I'm guessing more of it will be right than wrong! Who knows, Disney may not know at this point how the final FP+ will look like, which is why they have been running the trials for awhile now!

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

This is the problem with us not knowing how the system is actually going to be like until it is fully initiated. It's the uncertainty that is creating the concerns for us!

Maybe all of doconeill speculations will not turn out to be accurate, but basing it on his previous track record and the information that is out, I'm guessing more of it will be right than wrong! Who knows, Disney may not know at this point how the final FP+ will look like, which is why they have been running the trials for awhile now!

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

I still can't get past the idea of Disney creating a super high demand for "day of" in park fastpasses (because no matter what the pre booking numbers look like there will be far less FP available at the park the day of) and then encouraging people to rush to the parks and scramble for the leftovers. This would create an even nastier environment.

And if everyone who buys tickets logs in and automatically gets assigned a fastpick selection of three. Most of the fastpasses will be tied up in limbo.

I think Mikegood2's question on another board is interesting... What will be the rate of customers using their pre picks? We think people won't want to miss them. How will that be worked into the model, and they won't know until people participate in the full blown program.

I also think there is some value (not my preference) in not letting customers grab up all the extra fastpasses the day of (And I think there are plenty of references to support this idea)... Disney is trumpeting the idea that visitors will be able to switch out their FP+ throughout the day to ensure great flexibility. If the early birds swoop in at 9:00 am and grab all the good FP, then those people who show up at 2:00 will have nothing to exchange. That would destroy the flexibility "promise".

When does the FP+ start? This is the first I've heard of FP+. Can I get some FP+ rides reserved now? And if so, how?

Keith said:
When does the FP+ start? This is the first I've heard of FP+. Can I get some FP+ rides reserved now? And if so, how?

Not yet. Many threads already discussing.

I still can't get past the idea of Disney creating a super high demand for "day of" in park fastpasses (because no matter what the pre booking numbers look like there will be far less FP available at the park the day of) and then encouraging people to rush to the parks and scramble for the leftovers. This would create an even nastier environment.

And if everyone who buys tickets logs in and automatically gets assigned a fastpick selection of three. Most of the fastpasses will be tied up in limbo.

I think Mikegood2's question on another board is interesting... What will be the rate of customers using their pre picks? We think people won't want to miss them. How will that be worked into the model, and they won't know until people participate in the full blown program.

I also think there is some value (not my preference) in not letting customers grab up all the extra fastpasses the day of (And I think there are plenty of references to support this idea)... Disney is trumpeting the idea that visitors will be able to switch out their FP+ throughout the day to insure great flexibility. If the early birds swoop in at 9:00 am and grab all the good FP, then those people who show up at 2:00 will have nothing to exchange. That would destroy the flexibility "promise".

That's one of my biggest problems with what they intend to do.

How do you promise flexibility, yet have enough for demand? If they want flexibility, they need to reserve some. But is that the same reserve so as to have day-of as well? And what happens at 11am when I decide I want that TSM FP+ after all? Or is it a separate reserve, removing even more from the advanced pool? Saying I have flexibility by offering me Great Movie Ride instead isn't good for me.

I would LOVE for additional FP+s available day-of. I'm just now sure how they are going to pull it off for the E-tickets.

What I _think_ may happen - there will be a reserve. Not all FP+ slots will be made available in advance. There will intentionally be less FP+ available in advance for the primary E-tickets, in order to push people to other things like the new experiences. Others will be available day-of, and that will be explained at pre-book time that you _might_ be able to get some more that day. There will be some day-of limitations as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter