Wrapped or unwrapped?

SC Minnie said:
Santa never wrapped them at house ours growing up but he did at Dh's house. DH won that argument and now Santa ( :rolleyes: ) wraps all the gifts at our house.

Same here. I won the clear vs. colored lights argument, so I let him have this one! :)

Wrapped! Part of the fun of getting gifts is opening them, IMO!

All the presents are wrapped with ribbons and bows. :teeth:

Wrapped in Santa paper, but Santa only brings one gift. Our chimney is in the family room so that is where he leaves the stockings and wrapped gift for each child. The tree is in the living room and all the other packages go there - with big ones left unwrapped. Once the kids reached the age when they were brave enough to venture out of their rooms (they were afraid of interupting Santa), they were allowed to tear right in to their Santa gift and stockings. Everything else waits until we are all up.

I wrap all of Santas gifts in Santa wrapping paper.. no other gifts are wrapped with this paper.. I put special bows on them too..

Wrapped! It is part of the excitement to me too. I always wrap Santa's in Santa paper. I picked it out today!! Santa has great taste!!!! :cool1:

All gifts among family members are wrapped. DS's gifts from us are opened on Christmas Eve (just the way my family did it.) The one or two gifts from Santa are left under the tree in all their shiny unwrapped glory, to be oohed and ahhed over before we jump in the car and make :) the rounds of the grandmas' houses, where more wrapped gifts await.

I'm liking the idea of using Santa paper! Never thought of that but I think I will (next year....too late for this year!) :teeth:

always wrapped. my dmil always left them unwrapped and really had a problem when we had kids and Santa left their gifts wrapped. My DDs are 12 and 17 and she still hasn't learn to deal with it.

She even went so far as to go behind my back and try to get my DH to "influence" me to "do it his way one year". He told her he doesn't "have a way" and it he didn't mind if they were wrapped.. and he thought the kids liked it.

whoops... teeny rant there huh? :blush: sorry. ;)

Santa always wraps my DD's presents. He gets me some, too. His writing is different and the paper is different. When I was growing up, Santa always forgot to fill the stockings.

Mishetta said:
Do you wrap the gifts from Santa? I have always wrapped them but my friends just put the gifts from Santa out unwrapped. I'd love to start that tradition but it seems strange to do it now that I've been wrapping so long!

How do you put out Santa's gifts? Wrapped or unwrapped?

In our house, Santa uses the same wrapping paper every year...although rumor has it that Mrs. Claus actually does the wrapping. ;)

When I was growing up, Santa's big gifts were always left unwrapped in front of the tree. The gifts from family (parents, aunts, uncles, etc) were always wrapped and placed under the tree a few weeks before Christmas.

I think I'm living under a rock. I've never heard of Santa NOT wrapping gifts.... :confused3

It's funny all the different traditions we DIS'ers have!

Santa brings one big present and stocking stuffers and everything is wrapped in a different kind of paper than what Mom uses. Back when dd was little and had gifts requiring assembly--Santa's gifts were put together with batteries and then wrapped. He also leaves them on the hearth, right under the stockings and next to his milk and cookies.

How cute is this--my 15 yo dd told me what she wanted from Santa this year. She told me she knew I'd get the message to him. :teeth:

mookie said:
I think I'm living under a rock. I've never heard of Santa NOT wrapping gifts.... :confused3

That's how I feel, I'm in total amazement at how many people leave gifts unwrapped! Not that it's wrong, people like what they are used to and the non-wrappers have brought up points I hadn't thought of before, but it still shocks me that so many people don't wrap gifts. I could never change my ways; It's gift wrapped all the way for me, baby!

Gift exchanged among family members are wrapped.

Santa leaves the presents unwrapped. Usually, Santa presents are usually large and/or require assembly - a train set, a dollhouse, a bike, a wagon, etc. This year Santa is bringing a telescope for oldest dd, a Hot Wheels racetrack for ds, and a Little People castle for youngest dd. Smaller gifts and their stockings will be artfully arranged around the big gift.

A telescope set up, with a big red bow on it, and the other toys all put together and ready to play has much more of a WOW factor for my kids than a bunch of wrapped boxes.

A wonderful bonus is that toys that are already set up allow the children to play at 6 am without waking up Mommy and Daddy.

Now my MIL wraps all her gifts - but she doesn't use bows. She doesn't use gift tags either. Every person has their own wrapping paper pattern. Personally, I think this is a control thing. Since there are no name tags, she has to tell us who gets what, and so of course all activity ceases while we consult her.

I also have some friends who have no presents under their tree until Christmas Day. Santa brings his own gifts, and puts out gifts from the family as well.

disney4us2002 said:
Funny, because I thought just the opposite - I didn't realize so many people wrap gifts from Santa. Honestly, I think my parents started the unwrapped because my brothers and I always woke up Christmas morning by 5am and they didn't want to get up then so we were allowed to play with our gifts quietly until a decent hour. Wrapped stuff was always necessities like underwear, socks, pjs, pants, etc. We rarely got excited about the wrapped stuff.

Is the picture of your son, your first? In general I found my kids were completely overwhelmed with unwrapping (birthday or Christmas) and ended up just opening 2 or 3 and then wanting the boxes rather than the gift and then we had to unwrap the rest later anyway so it was an easy decision for us to continue the Santa straight-from-the-workshop toys.
Yes, Jacob is my first. My experience as a kid was that I LOVED opening the wrapped presents. It was so fun... we had the family sitting around (parents and one set of grandparents), they would open some of their gifts occasionally, but I always had so many I would just continually be opening them, one right after the other. My mom wrapped EVERYTHING, so not every single gift was exciting, but that made it even better when one of the better gifts did come along. There usually was a big item saved for last, and yes, it was wrapped. How else would my parents prevent me from focusing all my attention on that one right away? ;)

My husband's family has always wrapped gifts, and so have all my friend's families that I remember growing up. Wrapping paper sales abound this time of year, so it never even dawned on me that some people don't wrap gifts! :teeth:

va32h said:
I also have some friends who have no presents under their tree until Christmas Day. Santa brings his own gifts, and puts out gifts from the family as well.

Well, we're one of those people who have nothing under the tree until Christmas morning because my DS (4) ~ who is in the Autistic spectrum ~ would open any gifts he found.

Last night I wrapped presents for our friends & even though I wrapped them in front of him & he knows what they are, he'd probably still open them if he found them.

I am so glad I found this thread. I was just talking to my best friend about this yesterday. In both of our houses growing up everything from Santa was unwrapped, and Santa has always left unwrapped gifts for my boys. However, I was thinking how much fun it would be for the boys if Santa would wrap the gifts. It may be more work for Mrs. Claus but I think it might make Christmas morning even more exciting (and last longer). I am not sure how my boys would react if Santa wrapped gifts, anyone have any ideas of how to make that transition (should they write to Santa to request wrapping or I could tell them that I will tell him). They are both old enough to know that Santa has never left wrapped presents before. I appreciate any suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter