WPBC family excursions?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
Looking at the 2019 west bound Panama Canal cruise for myself and two girls (17 and 13 at sail time). What do you recommend in the following ports? Please be honest if you think it unsafe or unworth our time to do excursions in these areas. We have CC during this cruise and other than that aren't big beach people. We have traveled all over the world except South America (which we'll get a taste of if we do this cruise) and Africa. We all love to try new foods and get a taste of culture. My girls are not thrill seekers so sting rays and amusement parks are also out.

Grand Cayman (last time we did the Turtle Farm and tour of the island and loved it)

Cartagena, Colombia

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

In Cartagena we took a private "street foods" tour, which was AWESOME. It was incredibly hot and humid, so be prepared for that, regardless of what you end up doing. Since you mention that you like to try new foods and get a taste of culture, I would highly recommend that to you. We joined up with a few other families for the tour, which took us out of the tourist areas and into the heart of the city. I never felt unsafe (the opposite, actually) and we got to try lots of new things.

In Puerto Vallarta, we LOVE Las Caletas, which is an excursion offered through Disney. It's a private beach with lots of activities, lunch, and drinks. You get there via boat, because it is inaccessible by land. On our WBPC our Puerto Vallarta day was canceled, and the boys were so so disappointed to miss Las Caletas.

In Cartagena we took a private "street foods" tour, which was AWESOME. It was incredibly hot and humid, so be prepared for that, regardless of what you end up doing. Since you mention that you like to try new foods and get a taste of culture, I would highly recommend that to you. We joined up with a few other families for the tour, which took us out of the tourist areas and into the heart of the city. I never felt unsafe (the opposite, actually) and we got to try lots of new things.

In Puerto Vallarta, we LOVE Las Caletas, which is an excursion offered through Disney. It's a private beach with lots of activities, lunch, and drinks. You get there via boat, because it is inaccessible by land. On our WBPC our Puerto Vallarta day was canceled, and the boys were so so disappointed to miss Las Caletas.

Thank you so much! Off to read your PC trip report.

@GooniesAndy after looking at the PV excursion you recommend I see only one problem. My youngest will be 13 on that cruise but she is very small for her age and has a gross motor disorder. She would not be able to participate in the teen adventures area. Do you think she would be allowed to enjoy the smaller children's play area or is Disney strict on their excursions like they are on the ships?

@GooniesAndy after looking at the PV excursion you recommend I see only one problem. My youngest will be 13 on that cruise but she is very small for her age and has a gross motor disorder. She would not be able to participate in the teen adventures area. Do you think she would be allowed to enjoy the smaller children's play area or is Disney strict on their excursions like they are on the ships?

The excursion is through Vallarta Adventures, and they may be willing to relax their rules a bit. You could probably call them to find out in advance. The beach is beautiful, and there are spa services if she might enjoy getting a little pampering instead of going off on an adventure!

The excursion is through Vallarta Adventures, and they may be willing to relax their rules a bit. You could probably call them to find out in advance. The beach is beautiful, and there are spa services if she might enjoy getting a little pampering instead of going off on an adventure!

Thank you. I'm really enjoying your trip report. Your head server has the same name as my youngest daughter. Did you know it means "the sea"? She's my little mermaid so I'm over the moon excited that Ariel is on the Wonder!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter