Wow, WDW has priced itself out of my reality!

And somewhere I have photos of Frontierland with no one but our family on the street.
I guess we were spoiled.

And DH works with cars...all day six days a week.
He really enjoyed staying on property where he did not even have to get into or even think about cars.

I also understand that the WDW value resorts are not out of line with hotels in the rest of the country. I guess the thing is that in the past, the value resorts were priced well in order to get people onto Disney property where we would spend money. The rooms were kind of a come on to sell food and tickets and stuff. Obviously when staying on property most people will be spending money on property. So, frugal woman that I am, I was happy to stay on property while keeping spending minimal.

But now our family vacation days with all the kids are behind us and we are thinking more about the lean retirement days ahead.
We've got two of three kids out of the house and two of the three are still in college. So we are still in major financial crunch time.

DH and I both got a bit excited about the plane tickets and the possibility of going, but when we ran the numbers we agreed that the current cost was not just unaffordable for us now it was also not good value anymore for us.

Totally, totally understandable. I think it's a combination of things. One problem is, is that EVERYTHING is absolutely ridiculously expensive.
It just seems like every time you turn around some thing else is eating away at your budget (don't get me started on the price of milk :headache: ) most people really looked forward to their vacations. Now vacations are getting ridiculously expensive also and it's frustrating.

For a budget trip, I like to consider the downtown disney area hotels. You can walk to Downtown Disney, so a car isn't important.

I've used Hilton points a couple of times that way.

I don't understand the difference between staying offsite at DL and staying offsite in Orlando. If you will do it there to pay less, why not in Orlando? You can stay at Buena Vista Suites in a 1 bedroom with breakfast for around $100 with a Mousesavers code. That is not a bad deal at all! Not only do you get a bigger room, you get a free meal.

If you want to get there, you can and you can still save money. But if you (meaning anyone, no one personally) decide it isn't going to work, then no amount of talk will change your mind. Keep an open mind and if you really are a Disney addict, you will find a way and staying offsite wouldn't really upset you if it meant not going at all.

We just got an unexpected trade with our other ts into OKW for July. Have we budgeted for it? No. We have a cruise for 6 scheduled for Sept, we can't afford a massive Disney week. What we are going to do is drive, for the first time, buy 2 day tickets with WP&M so we have 4 days of fun - 2 in parks and 2 at waterparks, lay around the pool, have meals in our room and explore other DVC resorts since we have never stayed on property and enjoy the bonus vacation we have been blessed with.
There is a huge difference in staying offsite at DL. At WDW you are enclosed in a "world" where you really need their ammenities. At DL a good neighbor hotel not only is much less the rooms are actually better. If you have been to DL you know you are not in your own little world. Another factor in DL is we can drive. What MOST people that live in the South or on the East Coast do not realize is that many of us in the western part of the country pay an outrageous amount for airfare. Some states worse than others. When I see some diser's complaining that they had to pay almost 200.00 for airfare they do not know how lucky they are. I would have to challenge (along with a few others here) that we paid more for our vacations that those who stay in suites in deluxes (we paid 4000 for airfare alone). Now as a pp stated WDW is not for everyone. I feel that was a little harsh. Walt Disney was a business man but he also wanted a place that families could go to..not a place for the super rich. And I am very surprised that more diser's are not phased by the prices. The economy is hurting and I am glad that it has not affected most of you but to act like you are in some elite class is almost rude. WDW is more attainable to those that do not worry about money or those that live in cities that make it easier and cheaper to go there.

I agree! Some of the posts seemed a bit hostile. I will defend Disney as much as another person, but charging $30 for stroller rental is just greedy in my opinion. We are not rich people, but we are not anywhere near poor either. Sure, we could afford to spend $120 a night at a value, I just refuse to do it. I can stay on the beach at Waikiki at the Hale Koa for $85, that's a fantastic bargain.

I so agree,,,,,I think some have missed the point that this couple is looking at the fact they will retire soon, what if one gets sick, what if one of the kids has an emergency....For the past 2 years my family has been 4 times and we did it big, limo etc...now this year , the ONLY REASON we are going on vacation is we fly free, for xmas I ask family for disney room, and I had no exp tickets left from previous trip. I don't like people acting like 120.00 isn't any big deal. Maybe if we all acted like it was a big deal so many families I know would not be in the shape they are in. WE MUST STICK TO OUR BUDGET....

Keep calling and asking if you have any specials available...I have done this and was eventually offered one....just tell them you are afraid you haven't gotten one for some reason or another....or just save the money, and try some other time. The airlines offer specials now and again...keep watching,,,you found that deal...

Really ... everyone....HAVE A HEART....:love:

The other thing that you could do is get the Starwood preferred Amex with the 10K point signup bonus and wait for the referral offer that they will soon send. That will offer you 5K points when you get other people to sign up. I referred my DH, got the 5K points and he got 10K points. We called SPG to combine our points into one account. We used the cards to get 15K more worth of points (took like a year), and then we will be able to do the 5 free nights at the Swan/Dolphin (40K points for 5 nights) when we have the time to do this. We've used the points for a free night there before and it was great.

The only things we had to pay were the $10 resort amenity fee and the $10 parking fee:thumbsup2 Pretty sweet for a deluxe room!

Totally, totally understandable. I think it's a combination of things. One problem is, is that EVERYTHING is absolutely ridiculously expensive.
It just seems like every time you turn around some thing else is eating away at your budget (don't get me started on the price of milk :headache: ) most people really looked forward to their vacations. Now vacations are getting ridiculously expensive also and it's frustrating.

I agree with this. Everything is more expensive all of a sudden. The thing is, the rooms will be filled with Europeans and others who get a great exchange rate to come to the US. I don't think that Disney will be hurting because the average American can't afford to stay there anymore:sad2:

I hear you. We used to be 4 trip a year family but we could not afford it this spring with 6 kids and the price of holiday food plus tickets. (who can pay around $250-300. a meal 2-3 times a day?:scared1: )I know we could eat counter service but we love the buffets and the kids expect them.:confused3

I guess we will not be going as much. I do not mind eating off prop some and getting a house off prop but the extra charges for food on holidays and weekends and the stroller prices and the ticket prices coupled with the cost of gas or plane tickets are making it hard to go back.(and I am a girl with a WDW decorated home, LOL.):rotfl:
We just went down To Orlando in March for Easter and did not step foot on WDW soil!:eek: We did what the FIL calls real Orlando. Orange Groves, Beaches. Lakes fishing and flying kites, Banana Boat River air Boat rides to see the Gators and some great off property dinning. We had a good time and rented a nice pool home and saw the In laws and the kids loved it total for the week $2000.inc the house and gas!:thumbsup2

I want to go backto WDW this year but it will all depend on the increasing cost of everything and how we fair this summer. We were going to bring our soon to be 13 yo on a trip to WDW buy himself(he asked for a weekend as an only child) with DH and me but by the time we got airfare and tickets and room and food for 3 nights in May we had over 2000!:confused3
We are going to Branson for 650. inc food and a water park hotel for 3 nights and season passes for Silver Dollar City! We will be able to drive for $30. and I hope we have a good time. We have never been. If we like it we will bring the whole family for our late summer trip...Not WDW..;)

(we paid 4000 for airfare alone). Now as a pp stated WDW is not for everyone. I feel that was a little harsh. Walt Disney was a business man but he also wanted a place that families could go to..not a place for the super rich. And I am very surprised that more diser's are not phased by the prices. The economy is hurting and I am glad that it has not affected most of you but to act like you are in some elite class is almost rude. WDW is more attainable to those that do not worry about money or those that live in cities that make it easier and cheaper to go there.

But even when ole walt was alive & DL opened it was unaffordable to a lot of folks. First of all it was on the west coast, I remember growing up in NYC no one dreamed of going to DL, it was simply too expensive and that was that.
I'm like every one else, I hate when disney raises it rates. I'm probably more concerned that they raise their rates without raising the quality of their products. I would love for every child in America to be able to go but the reality is that, Disney is a luxury vacation unlike gas or food, when it becomes out of my budget, I have plenty of alternatives. No one promised that we get to drive Mercedes Benz or Lexus instead of Fords or Toyotas.
So its not that I'm in an elite class, I guess I consider myself more of a realist.

I guess I consider myself more of a realist.

Agreed!! (and sorry for those of you who think it is mean to state the fact that our economy is not doing so well - the dollar you had last week can't buy you the same amount of stuff that it did then. Sad fact.)

While I do agree, the price is not as good, for the value, as it once was, it still beats most other vacations. We have been to Great Wolf several times, always always more then a short trip to WDW. This summer we are going camping with our normal gang; we are renting a cabin ( which is really a mobile home in a campground) for 4 nights it is costing us over 500. And this if for a mini vacation in the PA Grand Canyon!:rolleyes1 Granted it is a very family friendly campground there are rides and activities all included right in the campground. But I just keep saying to myself by the time it is all said and done it will cost over $1000 for four days in PA! We could have gone a budget trip to WDW for $1000 or so more, (probably for 6 nights and seven days). Is it cheap to go to DISNEY? No. Is it worth every penny. ABSOLUITLEY!!:thumbsup2

I see the viewpoints of everyone on this and agree a "little" with you all :rotfl: That being said my fall vacation will most likely be cancelled because my DH was laid off last week. Hopefully he will find something soon but for now we are "bare bones" (try explaining to a 4 year old why we don't get "her" channel anymore :headache: ) That being said though I have repeatedly looked at other vacations and by the time I've priced it all out it has always come out more expensive than Disney with not near as much entertainment available. (maybe I'm looking the wrong places - but we like to "do" things on vacation) With that said I have NEVER been during any other time than value season - it's what I can afford when I can afford it. That said I didn't think we'd ever see a deal that beat the fairytale package - but for us the free dining did (the first year). And as far as everything going up - my free dining package this year is basically the same price as last year - it "might" be $50 more. (of course I most likely won't be using it.....)

Wow,

I never really saw the day coming when this would happen.

But it has!:scared1:

Today I found a fabulous price on air tickets...cheaper than gas.

And I already have park tickets.

And then I called about a room.

Any room...

And wow.
The prices have changed.
They have totally changed the way they figure room rates.

So, we're not going.
Can't afford it anymore.
I can find no way to rationalize it.

We are people who used to decide to go and then would leave the next day.

(The lady in reservations says that I have stayed at least 18 times, on record.)

I would definitely look into staying off property. If you head over to 192, there are some very reasonable rates. So you miss Early Opening, but just go to one of the other parks that open at 9:00. I would never NOT go to Disney, just because I couldn't afford to stay on property.

If people aren't paying those prices, Disney will run a discount to fill the rooms. If the rooms are booked at those prices, then Disney would be doing their shareholders a major disservice by selling them for any less.

As much as it's fun to think about Disney as a magical place where everybody is there to make sure you have a smile on your face, the reality is that it's a business every bit as concerned with bringing in the bucks as Exxon Mobile or Walmart.

Some one mentioned being 19 before going to WDW. I was very near 40 years old before any one of my toes got anywhere near anything Disney.

If prices keep going up at WDW I see a time the only ones in any Disney Park will be the oil princes of other countries.

We had the opportunity to go to DL this Jan. for $3300.00 two years ago it cost $1800.00.

I don't see us going again till all prices tumble for everything we use in life. From Apples to TP. to Zucchini's

Jeesk thats a bummer that you can't go. Just a FYI I think Priceline is great and also I have used Hotwire. Had a great price on a Hotel right outside of downtown disney for 45 dollars a night. It was Doubletree. Plus that had a shuttle service. Now that was a great deal for us at the time.

What's the difference, $40 per night? On a six night vacation, that's $240 dollars. Hardly thousands....
What kind of people have we become when $240.00 is nothing. And the people think that if you are concerned by this measly amount you must be poor. Although most people, myself included, wouldn't cancel a week long vacation for 240.00 we are having to spend a little more here a little more there and a lot more everywhere. The way our country is turning 240.00 is going to mean a whole heck of a lot to EVERYONE!

I didn't read all the replies but I know highway 192 in Kissimmee has some clean comfortable motels most with nice swimming pools that off season are around $50 a night. using the 535 exit and entrance to Disney puts you pretty close to these motels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter