• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow that dude was rude!

SLK1

DIS Veteran
Last night I took my girls to MK and we were having such a nice time. For some reason, "the blue train" (as we call it - I think it's the Tomorrowland Transit Authority?) broke down and they had us wait at the bottom of the entrance ramp. A little girl innocently asked the CM (his name was AJ), "How come we have to wait down here?", to which AJ replied, "Because" in the rudest tone. The little girl's mom wasn't with her, but what appeared to be a big sister was and their faces just dropped. I have never seen a CM appear so rude and simply from a one-word answer!

I know not everyone has a "rainbows and unicorns" type of day, but for as much as we pay for tickets, I would expect at least a courteous answer, especially to a child!
:mad:

That's really sad. I try not to be too upset when CMs aren't at their best to adults. I know everyone has bad days, and sometimes adults can be downright obnoxious and hard to deal with.

But being rude to a little girl is just inexcusable. That can ruin the magic for a little girl. Sad!! I'm glad those CMs are few compared to the great ones. I hope she gets some pixie dust from a great CM to offset that.

Last year, as we entered MK, we went to the left and under the train, and immediately stopped at the first little cart. We bought a mickey pen, and some other stuff. We made it about 100 ft before we had to make another stop for sunglasses at another cart. That CM said "Anything Else?" kind of short I said that's it and he said "Here" as he handed me the receipt.....5 minutes later, I concluded that he thought I stole the pen which was in my shirt pocket.

its such a shame how rude this world has gotten...I work at large pet supply retailer and today a customer had his dog walking in the parking lot without a leash and I watched him walk into my store as I was collecting shopping carts. Well a few seconds later I hear him yell to his dog that is running full speed through the parking lot to me. So I got the dog to come to me and grabbed its collar then proceeded to walk him toward his owner. As I got closer the man said "please let go of my dog", so I did. Then i politely told him he needs to leash his dog to go into my store, his reply was "no I don't". I then replied "sir yes you do, it is our company policy for your dogs safety and the safety of our other patrons". His replied 9which totally caught me off guard was "I DONT GIVE A f$#% ABOUT YOUR POLICY". I just looked at him and said excuse me as he turned and walked away into my store. His dog then took off through the parking lot again and I just let it run. Its amazing the lack of respect we have for each other anymore.
I know everyone has off days but come on!

Last year, as we entered MK, we went to the left and under the train, and immediately stopped at the first little cart. We bought a mickey pen, and some other stuff. We made it about 100 ft before we had to make another stop for sunglasses at another cart. That CM said "Anything Else?" kind of short I said that's it and he said "Here" as he handed me the receipt.....5 minutes later, I concluded that he thought I stole the pen which was in my shirt pocket.

At the store I used to run, I taught my workers to NEVER ask a negative sales question. "Anything else?" or my least favorite "Is that all for you?" are kisses of death for upsales. It also sounds as if you think the customer is cheap.

"What else can I get for you today?"...THAT is a winner.

We were at BOG on Tuesday night and had the rudest experience we have ever had with a CM at the check in desk. He was short, curt and downright nasty in his tones. People were looking at each other in line as if none of us could believe it. The poor lady working with him was trying to be overly nice to everyone as I am sure she was mortified as well. Luckily a manager was standing at the entrance to the bridge and I relayed the whole experience to him, and he promptly addressed the situation. I don't care how bad of a day you are having, there is no need to be nasty, especially to the customers who pay a lot to be there.

Not to excuse rude behavior, but I wonder if this particular CM was machine repair technician. having been one myself, they are a different breed of human being and most border on some sort of anti-social personality disorder.

He may have not expected inquisitiveness and didn't know how much of the actual situation he could or should discuss with the public.

Again, not to excuse it but that may have been the best alternative to, "a shear pin on the anualary gear set came apart which caused the transmision line to rotate at fluctuating rotational torque..." Some techs have a really hard time boiling that down for lay-audience.

We were at BOG on Tuesday night and had the rudest experience we have ever had with a CM at the check in desk. He was short, curt and downright nasty in his tones. People were looking at each other in line as if none of us could believe it. The poor lady working with him was trying to be overly nice to everyone as I am sure she was mortified as well. Luckily a manager was standing at the entrance to the bridge and I relayed the whole experience to him, and he promptly addressed the situation. I don't care how bad of a day you are having, there is no need to be nasty, especially to the customers who pay a lot to be there.

I wonder if that is the same one we had a few weeks ago there at the check in desk. He was VERY short with us - noticeably rude, and I really wanted to say something, but I held my tongue. On the other hand, the CM working with him was delightful. I also get it that someone may be having a bad day, but please, as Hyman Roth said in the Godfather II, "And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen..." And if you're not feeling it, fake it 'til you make it.

Yikes, all these stories are horrible. If this happens to you, please spend a few minutes going down to Guest Services to talk to them about the experience.

As a CM, it makes me sad whenever i see these threads. Why are there always "rude castmembers" threads? Id say just take it up with Guest Relations, because i sure wouldn't nor do i see others, posting about "rude guests" (besides tour groups)

As a CM, it makes me sad whenever i see these threads. Why are there always "rude castmembers" threads? Id say just take it up with Guest Relations, because i sure wouldn't nor do i see others, posting about "rude guests" (besides tour groups)

I've seen plenty "rude guest" posts! I don't think anyone is immune. It's just a way for people to commiserate about something that is rather out of place. Usually CMs go out of their way to be helpful, friendly and spread the magic. There are also PLENTY of those threads celebrating those CMs!

Well part of the reason is that the CM is someone paid to provide a service - guests are not. I am not saying its okay for a guest to be rude because it isn't, however it IS going to be much more noticeable to me when a CM is rude simply by nature of their position.

On a positive note, I'm at WDW right now and have yet to encounter a CM who is anything less than efficient and helpful. Some are more cheerful and talkative than others, but no one seems grumpy or rude at all. Makes for a nice and relaxing vacation!

On a positive note, I'm at WDW right now and have yet to encounter a CM who is anything less than efficient and helpful. Some are more cheerful and talkative than others, but no one seems grumpy or rude at all. Makes for a nice and relaxing vacation!

Thank you. :thumbsup2

We have always have mostly positive interactions with CM's. I think when anyone encounters a negative one it stands out so much compared to the norm. We saw a CM standing there directing people towards the front at the start of MNSSHP, she was crying, almost sobbing. My DH and I stood there for a minute saying how much that stood out. Felt bad for her.

On another positive note, I'm at WDW right now too and the CMs I've encountered have been wonderful.

OP, You probably should mention this incident to guest services. There's no reason to be mean to a little girl.

Then you have never seen one of my rants about the woman who threw up on my wife's foot on the boat back to POR.

Sorry if this is :stir: but I have noticed in all public encounters that "sarcasm" has become a "second language". I didn't realize how much it was used in my own family until my I had my son and he really didn't know that the words we said meant something different based on how we said it. Coming from a large family where sarcasm and the humor it entails is part of everyday conversation, it made me pause and realize that the media (sitcoms in particular) have contributed to making a sarcastic remark, FUNNY. Well at least to many adults, young adults and teens. It was a real wake-up call when I discovered that my son took every word literally. And yes, he is on the spectrum for those of you with autistic kids. I didn't know until he was seven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter