• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow..some adults never cease to amaze me

During MNSSHP there was a show by a zombie singing quartet on the street in Frontierland. Can't think of the group's name. A very small crowd formed a curved line in front of them. I (in my scooter) joined the small crowd at one end of the curve. Along came a couple who join the end of the curve next to me. The lady steps forward about 2 steps and blocks my view. I very kindly and very softly asked the man if he could please ask his friend to step back a bit because she's blocking my view. She told him "no" without even looking at me. He passed the answer on to me, and I was shocked and hurt. :(

During the Christmas party this year we saw a fight happen between two adult men. Never before have I seen something so crazy at a family destination.

That was me. In my defense the other guy was a total A**hole and needed a good beating.

We rarely go to the parades or fireworks because I can't stand the crowds, the jostling, etc. One time when we did go a few years ago, my DS and I had a nice spot with a direct view of the castle. When the fireworks started, a man next to me actually put his cell phone directly in my face so he could get a centered video of the fireworks. I was literally watching the fireworks on his cell phone. I asked him to please move his hand which he did, but that was it for me and MK fireworks. Fast forward to last Friday night when we attended MVMCP. After the castle lighting, we were lucky enough to get a spot along the hub to see the parade. We were about three people back, but we were next to a garbage can so we had a direct view of the parade right above it - hurray for garbage cans! Right in front of us were two gentlemen who were standing above their children who were sitting on the curb. They kept looking back at me and DS7 and I thought maybe we were standing too close? I kept making sure my son wasn't stepping on them or something. They then turned around and motioned for my son to come stand in front of them and watch the parade with their children (they didn't speak English) After my own experiences and the stories I've read on this board, I was shocked! They were so kind - just genuinely nice people. I was so appreciative of their gesture. My DS was so excited to have such an amazing view of the parade and I thanked them profusely. So, while I know there are a lot of stories out there of adults behaving badly during the fireworks and parades, I'm here to testify there are still kind people going to WDW!

Glad to hear!

After reading all the stories I can't help but think on this trip I'm going to do a kindness "pay it forward". We can't stop the rudeness but we can make it better 1 person at a time. Let the child who can't see in front of you. Help someone who is having a hard time understanding the new system. Be nice to the CMs because their job is to make sure we all have a great time and if they are met with rudeness and disrespect it will make their love for their job a little diminished. Because they get paid so little you know they are there because they love disney as much as we do. It is my dream to one day retire and work there but not as a punching bag. We can't do anything about the crowds or the fp situation but we can help keep the magic alive.

1 good comment and 1 bad.

Bad: I don't want to sound nationalistic or racist, but the increased foreign element at Disney has contributed to the rudeness. Some people just don't know how to behave in crowds or parks. Of course I've seen plenty of American meltdowns, but the Brazilian element shoves, pushes and line jumps.

Good: During our last trip with our three and four-year-old daughters, we were getting on the bus at the end of the day to go back to Pop century. It was standing room only. They were tired. I was planning to get down on my knees behind them trying to hold both while they stood and grabbed the handrail. I heard a voice from the back of the bus. She said the woman with the two little girls, send them back here. That wonderful woman gave up her seat so my two daughters could sit down. I was able to thank her when we got back to the resort. I saw that she had two older daughters.

Now I just go with the flow and pay it forward.

That doesn't surprise me at all! But there are still nice people out there too. This past August, at MK, me & my DS 8 & DD 4 got separated from the rest of our group on between Tomorrowland and Main Street, USA just before the Electrical Parade was going to start. So we decided to watch the parade while we waited for our group to catch up to us. I found a spot at the back of a group of people sitting/standing by a tree & garbage can. We were fine, the kids could see over the heads of the people sitting down. My kids weren't complaining...they were just excited to see the parade since we were originally going to leave before it started. Well, 2 of the adults sitting on the curb in the group happened to look back to talk to 1 of the adults standing next to me. Next thing I know, these 2 people I had never seen before were insisting that my kids take their seats on the curb and they would stand. And no matter how much I protested, they would not take no for an answer. So while there are the crazies out there ( and boy are they fun to watch sometimes!), there are also a lot of decent people too. We just don't hear about them as much!

We've been coming to Disney for years and I am still amazed to this day over the rudeness of some adults. During the FOF parade today I watched two grown women get into a shouting war in front of children. Basically, many families had been sitting and waiting for a hour for the coveted parade spot and as soon as the parade began, the 4 woman in the front refused to sit on the curb like everyone else in the area and stood up blocking everyone's view. They were out in the street, having words with parade CMs at times, and then when one mom asked them kindly to sit so the small children could see, they started yelling and using many profane words. Just never ceases to amaze me!

Standing up when the parade started (or remaining standing) and blocking the view of everyone behind them was fine.

I don't know what you mean by "they were out in the street, having words with CMs." If they were causing a disturbance, not fine.

Woman asking them kindly to sit down? Fine, but if they refused kindly, the woman and kids were SOL.

The group of 4 starting to yell and use profane words? Not fine.

my husband and I always go to the parks at rope drop, so we can walk on some of the rides. We went to tSM and were fortunate to walk onto the ride. As we were walking the que, 4 biker types (2 men and 2 women) in black leather pants and jackets with Harley insignias cut across the chains on the rows, and got right in front of us!!! Now, what's funny about this is that they would have been behind us if they had just walked normal onto the ride!!!! So, I told my husband that I couldn't believe they passed everyone by just to get one space in front. The guy in front of me must have heard me, and he turned around and said, "We were kicked out of here 2 times already, so......" and looked mean at me. I guess he meant the ride quit and he had to leave with the rest of the riders. I guess he was "entitled" to jump ahead one whole space in front of us because they had been inconvenienced when the ride broke down before????!!!! What? I am 65 y/o and my husband is 67 and we turned it into a joke with me saying that I would "handle the biker chick", yeah right!!!! I guess they were the only ones who had to leave that ride that day? Later on in our trip we had the TSM ride break down while we were riding it. We got walked out of the ride and got fp's given for anytime, anyday, anyride up to a certain date! So all was good, and we love that ride:)
One other time we were on the POC, and the lady in the seat right behind us was talking loudly on her cell phone about insurance!!!!! Yes, insurance policies and deductables, all while we were trying to hear and enjoy the sights! Her son, who was probably 5 y/o, squealed into our ears all the time with a voice like nails on a chalkboard, and his Mom did not make him quiet down. I was about to ask her to politely put down the cellphone so we could enjoy the ride, and she finally did, BUT the kid was screaming all through the ride. So that's 2 times with rude people. But we had wonderful experiences the rest of our time there. Another story for another time:):wave2:

I am 58 years old. I have been a bartender and a server since I was 20.. at first, when I started tending bar in Chicago, I was a little nervous around "biker" types.

I have to say (and most servers/bartenders would agree) that the stereotype of bikers is SO OFF! usually they are the most friendly, well behaved, (good tippers), willing to help you out in a pinch (esp with those weird, "clean-cut" psychs hanging around towards closing)

I just want to recitfy that false stereo type of bikers.. perhaps this particular poster did run into a few rude people.. who HAPPENED to be bikers.

now I am not a fan of motorcycles. my hubby has never had one, nor either of my sons. but the nicest, most friendly, well behaved people I have ever met in my personal and professional life have been "bikers". they have bike runs for various charitable causes.

I especially like when they have the "wall" when those goofy westboro fake christians (I am a Christian myself). try to disrupt the servies for our fallen veterans.
I just wanted to correct a false stereotype.

Wow! We've some not great moments but nothing as bad as these examples!!! I had to post with one nice example (to offset all the bad). One trick I read was to bring cheap dollar store glow-in-the-dark bracelets for the MSEP and to provide extras to other kids. Well we did that and ended up befriending a really nice couple and their little girl beside us. Got to talking a bit and low and behold they gave us a free fast pass (they had gotten some extra FP as they were having troubles with their magic bands). We weren't expecting it but was nice to have some pixie dust pixiedust:

I love this idea! I'd thought of bringing packs of glow bracelets/necklaces with us (we usually find them for $1 or $2 at Target), but I think we'll bring extra like you did. It sounds like a great way to spread a little cheer.

Standing up when the parade started (or remaining standing) and blocking the view of everyone behind them was fine.

I don't know what you mean by "they were out in the street, having words with CMs." If they were causing a disturbance, not fine.

Woman asking them kindly to sit down? Fine, but if they refused kindly, the woman and kids were SOL.

Totally agree. :thumbsup2

Totally agree. :thumbsup2

I actually agree with this as well. I will sit on the curb for 1-2 hours for a parade waiting patiently for it to start. As I have had a spinal injury, sitting, especially on hard surfaces, can be very tough. Off and on prior to the parade, and when the parade starts, I will stand so i can take good pics. If someone who comes up at the last minute wants to push in front, too bad. However, I always look around me and motion for small kids to sit in front of me on the curb.

Over generalize much? :scratchin

It's more of a philosophical position, one of "Psychological Egoism" as I see it played out in much of modern society. The theory is that everyone is selfish, and are motivated by selfishness, it is just expressed in different ways. I don't quite go that far in my beliefs, but the opposite would be Altruism, and right now, altruism amongst the masses doesn't seem too popular (true psychological egoists would even claim altruism is self-serving). YMMV Of course, there is also the phenomenon of the negative side of things getting more attention. In the parks negative events tend to be louder, and more attention getting then positive events.

Regardless, many adults have lost the idea of putting other people's comfort ahead of one's own. Disney is an awesome place for people watching, as has been pointed out, and is a dream come true for Sociologists and Psychologists.

Pretty much what I was going to post - people get there hours ahead of time to get the front spots, and they have the right to sit or stand whenever they want.

We once watched the afternoon parade from the front porch entrance of one of the buildings on Main Street. There was a group of 6 there ahead of us, and there was room for at least 10 more people. We were a group of 4. The looks they gave us when we 'joined them' on 'their' porch was pretty funny. I did get between them at one point before I realized they were all one group - they were that spread out and territorial to the max. I apologized after one of the men got into my personal space (almost touching me, very deliberate) to let me know I was too close to his wife. I wasn't even as close as an arm's length from her? (and I'm female, if that makes any difference) Anyways, we hung out down at one end once they made it clear through body language that we should stay out of 'their' space. It was really odd!

Some adults never cease to amaze me, either. Like the ones who will go on a forum and trash talk total strangers, say that society has gone to pieces, bring up other people's parenting, and recommend throwing people out of Disney World...often based on somebody else's second-hand observations.

The only issues I've ever had in the parks are when people adopt a holier-than-thou attitude and insert themselves into my day. Some people seem to really enjoy judging others. Like, REALLY enjoy it.

Well said! Nice is something you either are or aren't. You don't turn it on or off depending upon whether you are in a park or sitting in your livingroom typing on your computer/tablet.

It's more of a philosophical position, one of "Psychological Egoism" as I see it played out in much of modern society. The theory is that everyone is selfish, and are motivated by selfishness, it is just expressed in different ways. I don't quite go that far in my beliefs, but the opposite would be Altruism, and right now, altruism amongst the masses doesn't seem too popular (true psychological egoists would even claim altruism is self-serving). YMMV Of course, there is also the phenomenon of the negative side of things getting more attention. In the parks negative events tend to be louder, and more attention getting then positive events.

Regardless, many adults have lost the idea of putting other people's comfort ahead of one's own. Disney is an awesome place for people watching, as has been pointed out, and is a dream come true for Sociologists and Psychologists.

I agree with you and often lament the loss of common courtesy these days. There are nice people in this world, too, but a lot of "it's all about me" is the norm. Lack of respect is a big deal and people just don't get it. There are people at work who every day sit around talking, playing with their phones, crocheting while the few of us older ones work and they don't see where it's being disrespectful. They're like, "what?"

We experience this at least once a trip. However, being at Disney, being the "happiest place on earth" and the "spirit of Walt Disney" prevalent everywhere, we do our best to ignore. IMHO, I will take the ignorance and rudeness of the few to be at Disney World any day of the year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter