Wow...Outrage over Stroller Rental Price Increase...What's that About?

Heard Pete's Podcast rant & I LOVED IT!!!!

I too sent my email to Disney, have no idea if they care or not, but I had to have my voice heard, even if I was just talking to myself!!

keep sending those emails.

I heard Pete's rant today and usually love them, but the stroller issues just doesn't justify these emotions.

My wife and I went to DW on our honeymoon 11 years ago. 4 years ago I took 100 HS students and performed at Downtown Disney. Last summer, my wife and I took our two children (5 and 7) and 4 other family members. This year I take 150 students and perform at Downtown Disney again. Every time we've gone I am outraged at parents. There is no reason for an infant to be lugged around Disney World! If you live near there or are stopping in as part of a trip etc. fine, but the level of poor parenting or lazy parenting at DW is insane. My personal hope is that families with young children (under 5) will reconsider going. They should not be lugging children around the parks for hours on end. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed, but I see these huge groups with babies, or toddlers who won't remember the trip, who are getting nothing out of it, who shouldn't be there.

I'm all for families and know that every circumstance is different, but frankly the stroller parking lots outside ride after ride is ridiculous. We took our self-sufficient children (meaning they could walk as we needed too for the trip) and our backpack of supplies and we don't inconvenience anyone on our visit to the magic kingdom. Our memories are vivid. Our kids loved it. And hopefully Disney's new prices will make some of those crazy families dragging crying children, tired children, sunburned children through the parks for their benefit and not their kids to think twice.

Absolutely love the show and love these boards! Great work everyone!

I heard Pete's rant today and usually love them, but the stroller issues just doesn't justify these emotions.

My wife and I went to DW on our honeymoon 11 years ago. 4 years ago I took 100 HS students and performed at Downtown Disney. Last summer, my wife and I took our two children (5 and 7) and 4 other family members. This year I take 150 students and perform at Downtown Disney again. Every time we've gone I am outraged at parents. There is no reason for an infant to be lugged around Disney World! If you live near there or are stopping in as part of a trip etc. fine, but the level of poor parenting or lazy parenting at DW is insane. My personal hope is that families with young children (under 5) will reconsider going. They should not be lugging children around the parks for hours on end. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed, but I see these huge groups with babies, or toddlers who won't remember the trip, who are getting nothing out of it, who shouldn't be there.

I'm all for families and know that every circumstance is different, but frankly the stroller parking lots outside ride after ride is ridiculous. We took our self-sufficient children (meaning they could walk as we needed too for the trip) and our backpack of supplies and we don't inconvenience anyone on our visit to the magic kingdom. Our memories are vivid. Our kids loved it. And hopefully Disney's new prices will make some of those crazy families dragging crying children, tired children, sunburned children through the parks for their benefit and not their kids to think twice.

You are one brave man.....I'm just sayin...popcorn::

Ok...I'll go first...

While I respect everyone's right to voice an opinion here on these boards, this is one that is just...well....highly unusual. Disney isn't for young children? As you are a parent, I am surprised to hear this (if you didn't have your own children, I might understand this perspective).

YES, there are parents who don't parent well. YES, there are parents who don't adequately protect their children from the sun. YES, there are parents who keep their tired children out way too late when at Disney...and on and on. But this has little to nothing to do with the stroller price increase.

We have three young children, all of whom we brought to Disney at very young ages (under 2). I will never forget watching my then-18 month old meet Pooh and Piglet for the first time. And while she may not have lifelong memories of the moment, her dad and I sure do. And...even though she may not remember the actual moment, it started what has become her life-long love affair with Pooh and Disney.

And even if we didn't have that wonderful memory, what about her older brother who was 5 at the time (and by your standards, Disney-appropriate)...should we have just brought him and left his little sisters at home with baby sitters? That hardly seems like a "family vacation" to me.

I was planning on writing a lot more (there are so many points to be made here), but actually, I am too stunned by your post. And given the tone of it, there is likely little I can say that would have any influence, so I won't waste my time....:sad2:

Sorry DScott, but I gotta tell ya, my 3 year old has no problem repeating every day of the itinerary from our trip last April, and already has a plan for our trip this year.....So when you say they won't remember it? I'll just respectfully disagree. I think you're focusing on a minority of people who are dragging crying children around. Think about it, do you stop to count all of the children not crying, having a great time? Probably not...

Just one man's opinion :) Hey, I give you huge props for bringing that many kids to the parks thought! :thumbsup2

Oh, and don't even get me started on the sogiological aspects of the "they won't even remember it" cause we all know that our thoughts, personalities, etc. are molded between 1-7 years old...something like that...trying to recall Durkheim, or one of them Sociologist type peoples.. :)

And hopefully Disney's new prices will make some of those crazy families dragging crying children, tired children, sunburned children through the parks for their benefit and not their kids to think twice.
Boy I would love to meet you someday in the magic kingdom as I am pushing my double wide stroller. Beware I dont break for.......

Your about the rudest person I have ever met. How dare you call someone a bad parent because they took their toddler to the world. What ever happened to you having memories of your 3 year old running up and hugging Mickey because at that age they think he is real. I find your post shocking and very rude. Sorry couldnt bite my tounge. I am surprised with your attitude that you work with children. I know mine wouldnt be around you!

Wow! :sad2:

Dude!:confused3

There aren't words that can describe my thoughts at this point.

I...oh I can't even bother writing it. I haven't the strength.

Dude!:confused3

There aren't words that can describe my thoughts at this point.

I...oh I can't even bother writing it. I haven't the strength.

Amen to that!!!! I am wandering around the room sounding like I have Terets Syndrome. Are their some virtual rotton fruits and veggies we can throw. LOL. I really dont get it. AT ALL.

:wave2: Hi, I'll go.

We took our oldest (who is now 6 and just barely "Disney appropriate" evidently) when he was 10 months old. Like a PP said, the memories that my DH & I have of our DS's interaction with the characters and his wide-eyed amazement at the shows brought such a good feeling to my heart and it still does. My oldest loves looking at pictures of himself at WDW and I love having those memories. I guess that makes me a bad parent since we subjected him to a family vacation at such a young age. My youngest is 2.5 yrs. old and he will constantly tell you about the "choo-choo at Disney World" whenever he sees a train, or tell you about "Mickey My-Mouse" whenever he sees mouse ears, about the 'big Pooh' at lunch or about the pony he rode at FWC. He might not remember our trips when he is my age (of course I'm doing good to remember last week) but he definately talks about them now.

Taking a small child under the age of five isn't bad parenting and taking a child to Disney is anything but lazy. I had an employer once tell me that taking children to WDW was a "working vacation".

I've seen much worse behavior out of adults in WDW than out of kids that might be tired. And I have been cut off, pushed, shoved and inconvenieced by "Disney appropriate" aged people much more often than I have been by people using strollers. I also feel much more inconvienced by large groups that walk shoulder to shoulder through a walkway and then give you a dirty look when you say "excuse me", or the groups of teens that cut line, or the groups of teens that don't know how to be quiet during a show.....

OH OK so I will tell my 5 year that we should not go back to Disney in Dec because his 2 year old brother and sister are still in a stroller and this may upset someone so we just have to wait till the twins can walk before we go back to WDW.

Yep I sure he will understand.

You sir are way out of line and I don't really think you truly get the whole disney thing if strollers in WDW upset you! OH and the comment about lazy parenting! Yea ok well yeah thats right you only take self-sufficient children on vacation.

Wow. dscott, chill out.

You don't think kids under 5 should go to Disney World? Whoa.

Took my nephew when he was two years old. He is almost 6 now and STILL talks about it. Maybe he doesn't remember every detail, but he remembers and loves Disney. Not to mention MY memories of that trip.

I can go on, but by the tone of your post I know it would be pointless.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." -Walt Disney

I don't think Walt would have stipulated "and those children need to be over the age of five so they don't make any of our older guests upset."

Keep moving forward.

Glad to know that I have a "crazy" family, have poor parenting skills, and that my family shouldn't be there.

Tell you what pal, when you start paying for my trips, I will let you decide what is best for my family.

BTW, you know who really ticks me off when I am at WDW, the inconsiderate jerks who carry around backpacks of supplies because they are too cheap to buy refreshments and food from the parks. These same creeps with backpacks of supplies usually end up bumping or hitting other people as they are walking and waiting in line.

My personal hope is that these people reconsider going so not to interfere with those who do not carry backpacks full of supplies.

For some reason I think there is a village missing one person somewhere.

From the father of a 2.5 year old who has made 4 trips to WDW and number 5 will be before she is 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter