Wow, I think I officially have to cross Ohana's off my list!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience, OP :sad2:

We went this year for the first time despite the bad reviews and we both agreed it was one of our favorite places. The pork and steak were good but the sausage and turkey were pretty bad. We aren't huge meat fans though and there was plenty of food so it didn't bother us. My mom LOVED the wings, and we both went crazy over the potatoes. The dessert was one of the best of the whole trip.

Our server was good and we didn't feel even slightly rushed.

It definitely sounds like a hit or miss kind of place. We both agreed we'd love to go back, but I can understand never wanting to after a bad experience like the OP had.

We skipped it last March, and were going to try it in December. I have an allergy (can't have wheat) and my food has to be separate. They used to have a clear understanding, but I am not so sure now. The waitress wanted me to eat from the same plate as my families that had the Mickey waffles on it. Since these are made from wheat, I can't have my food touching wheat and that is why I always received a separate plate of food. I am hoping for the best this time, but I will make sure I tell the Chef of the mishap the last time.

We were there in June of 2005 and did not have a great experience, all related to poor service. I'm not a huge eater, but it drives me crazy when a place offers more/extra servings of something, then fails to bring them to you. It's like they force you to be a witch, just to get a few pieces of beef or whatever. (Even if not a "witch", who wants to be "business assertive" on a Disney vacation?) We are staying at the Poly this time, but no one in the family wanted me to make an ADR at Ohana!

After 7 visits to 'Ohanas over the years with good to very good experiences our 8th. trip in Dec., 2005 was horrible. Our service was non-existent. It's hard to comment on the food because we barely got anything. We don't plan on going back anytime soon.

It's off my list unless the DISer I am going with this time insists...We hated our last 2 meals there.

Now, I go to Boma's!!!Love it.

We went there for the first time in May and had an "Eh" experience. Our service was SUPER rushed and not at all friendly, we had to flag our waitress down to ask for drinks from the bar, and we had every course other than dessert on our table within 10 minutes of sitting down, and then had a hard time getting more of anything. If it weren't for the wontons and potatoes, I don't think we'd think about going back. The rest of the food was good, but not great. We'll definitely be trying other places before we go back.

We've eaten at 'Ohana 3 times, but we crossed it off our list ages ago. The first time it was great, we were definitely going back. The second time it was pretty good, we would probably be back. The third time we got a *terrible* table, and when we asked to move they acted like we were asking for...well, I can't think of a good metaphor - but it was about 8:30, 9, so they weren't really crowded; there was no reason to act so put out. The food was dry and tasteless, and all the coconut races, etc. were just more than we wanted to listen to. That was about 5 years ago, and we haven't been back.

We honestly don't understand the rave reviews it gets, and we consider it pretty much the most over-rated restaurant at Disney. Ah well, to each his own and more tables at Spoodles for us! ;)

Starting in 2002 up until 2005, we never had a problem regarding food allergies or service in general at 'Ohana. Something has DEFINITELY changed. Our DS had a wheat allergy (now resolved), and it was a knowledgeable and caring chef at 'Ohana who actually introduced us to wheat-free Tamari (soy) sauce. DS also has a peanut, egg and shellfish allergy. Last year, we had the same experience as the OP when the server put the peanut dipping sauce on the table, right in front of DS. This was also after I told him about the allergy and asked to see the chef.

This past August we went to 'Ohana for breakfast. The CM seating us picked up the basket of pineapple bread, etc. to bring to our table but then looked down at her paperwork and said, "Oh, I see there are allergies here, sorry, YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS," put the basket down and walked us to our table. When I told her that it would be OK, that DS would just not eat the bread and that it was not a danger to him to have it at the table, she flat out REFUSED to bring it to the table. I felt this was extreme and said something to our server once we sat down. He told us that to "be on the safe side" that they were no longer allowed to bring ANYTHING to the table if there are allergies in the party UNTIL THE CHEF COMES TO THE TABLE. Uh, ok. But I'm the parent of the child with the allergies, and I am telling you that it is safe. The chef came to the table and I told her that I felt the incident with the bread was extreme. Long story short, a special breakfast plate was made up for DS, but we never did see that bread at the table.

We won't be going back to 'Ohana again either, and that is truly a shame. DS was most upset that they took the gummy worms away as the "prize" after the coconut races (2006). It used to be our favorite place to eat.:sad2:

I'm so bummed to be reading these bad reviews of 'Ohana. This is one of the places that I was most looking forward to trying. At this point it is probably too late to get anything else to replace that ADR.

This past August we went to 'Ohana for breakfast. The CM seating us picked up the basket of pineapple bread, etc. to bring to our table but then looked down at her paperwork and said, "Oh, I see there are allergies here, sorry, YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS," put the basket down and walked us to our table. When I told her that it would be OK, that DS would just not eat the bread and that it was not a danger to him to have it at the table, she flat out REFUSED to bring it to the table. I felt this was extreme and said something to our server once we sat down. He told us that to "be on the safe side" that they were no longer allowed to bring ANYTHING to the table if there are allergies in the party UNTIL THE CHEF COMES TO THE TABLE. Uh, ok. But I'm the parent of the child with the allergies, and I am telling you that it is safe. The chef came to the table and I told her that I felt the incident with the bread was extreme. Long story short, a special breakfast plate was made up for DS, but we never did see that bread at the table.

My god, that is really extreme behavior! Bizarre. They should combine that server with the server I had for dinner (careless to the opposite extreme), and maybe they will come out with a server with some common sense.

We at at 'Ohana for the first time in August, and I don't think I would go back. They stuck us in the back so we weren't able to see what was going on. I should have remembered to insist on sitting in the front, but we had to wait over half an hour for a table, so imagine if we wanted the front? That was the longest we had to wait for any ADR,

I wasn't crazy about the food. The servers were nowhere to be found when I wanted more shrimp. I didn't care for the fried wontons or the potatoes and the meat was kind of dry.

I'm glad I went there once so I can say that yeah, I went there, but once is enough I think.

This past August we went to 'Ohana for breakfast. The CM seating us picked up the basket of pineapple bread, etc. to bring to our table but then looked down at her paperwork and said, "Oh, I see there are allergies here, sorry, YOU CAN'T HAVE THIS," put the basket down and walked us to our table. When I told her that it would be OK, that DS would just not eat the bread and that it was not a danger to him to have it at the table, she flat out REFUSED to bring it to the table. I felt this was extreme and said something to our server once we sat down. He told us that to "be on the safe side" that they were no longer allowed to bring ANYTHING to the table if there are allergies in the party UNTIL THE CHEF COMES TO THE TABLE. Uh, ok. But I'm the parent of the child with the allergies, and I am telling you that it is safe. The chef came to the table and I told her that I felt the incident with the bread was extreme. Long story short, a special breakfast plate was made up for DS, but we never did see that bread at the table.:

We had a similar experience when we had breakfast there in June. As we were walking through the restaurant, the host handed me a basket of bread, then saw the paperwork with the peanut allergies listed and grabbed the basket out of my hand and said, "You can't have that" in a snitty tone, as if it were MY fault. Then our waitress came and said the chef would come to our table in a few minutes. We asked if we could get beverages and she told us they aren't allowed to serve anything until the chef talked to us. It took 15 min. to see the chef. I found this really insulting. I know milk and juice are o.k. to be served to my kids with peanut allergies. We did get the bread for my DS13 who has no allergies after talking to the chef, but the waitress made a remark about not letting the other kids near it. I appreciate that Disney takes allergies seriously, but Ohanas takes it too far to the point of being rude about it. :sad2:

'Ohana
We did not like it. Very rushed atmosphere, too much poorly cooked meat, potatoes mushy and unappetizing. I had not studied up on the menu beforehand, just heard everyone say how much we were missing out by not going there. I realized after that the menu choices were not our favorites anyway. The restaurant was so zoo like and really not clean either.

I appreciate that Disney takes allergies seriously, but Ohanas takes it too far to the point of being rude about it. :sad2:

wow, I just find it so bizarre that two posters now have had the exact opposite experience at Ohana's with food allergies that I had. Maybe the breakfast staff is trained differently!

We were there last week. I agree, it was no a good experience. The sausage was so dry. The only tasty item was the turkey. Never again for us!

Wow - we went for the first time last month and loved it!!!! Had we listened to all of the negativity, we would have cancelled. It was the best meal we had all week and vow to do it every trip from here on out.

We have eaten at Ohana every trip, including just last week. Honestly, we have never had a bad experience when dining there. Last week, our experience was great. We were promptly seated at our PS time. Our server and all the "assistants" were very attentive and filled all our requests when we asked for things. All the food was enjoyed by all in our party, with big thumbs-up to the salad, wings, turkey, steak and dessert. As far as we are concerned, Ohana will remain on our must-do list.

I am glad that some people have had enjoyable meals here, I haven't in years. (Only went last time because friends really wanted to, they sure wish they had listened to me once the meal was over :lmao: )

There will always be people that love this place. I wish it was as good as it used to be. If someone has seen it when it was a place to get a great meal, they would have no idea just how much it has changed.
I still miss the the shrimp skewers:guilty:

I was going to take my kids to the character breakfast there with Lilo and Stitch- but now I am not too sure- is breakfast any better than dinner for food and service or about the same?

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter