• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WOW - I just sold my old gold........

Sent my gold into USGB yesterday morning. Didnt have the usual hottie FedEx guy, it was an old guy who was quite upset that they didnt inform him that I would be needing an airbill and envelope. Nonetheless, he took my stuff off and I got a voice mail already this morning from USGB. I called and now Im waiting for them to return call. I hope its a good one.

I need to get my stuff together and send it off. This reminds me of the rush to sell gold and silver in the 70's I guess the economy was very similar at that time. Anyhow back then my stepfather was at a Holiday Inn where people would come to the conference room and buy your stuff, he said every evening they were in the parking lot beating stones out of the gold and silver with a hammer and just leaving them there on the pavement.

Actually they once told me they would charge me 12.00 to return my items. I had some things that they offered a pay out on and some they didnt. They asked if I wanted those items returned and told me they would deduct 12.00 from my payout or I could just donate them to the Salvation Army.

That is only if you want your items returned to you. If you send them off and all of them are fake gold or gold plated, and you don't want them back, then you don't owe anything and there is no payout. THe 12 dollares was deducted only becasue you wanted your items back. I sent my stuff in got my payout and they sent the rest of what was no good to SA. If I send it in I obviously want to get rid of it, I don't want to have it sent back if it is worth nothing.

I sent my old gold to Gold Fellow... I really didnt have much. One 18" rope chain, one earring, six charms and two rings. One ring was just a plain gold band and was only 10k, all the other stuff was 14k. I don't know what this all weighed by ounces, but the 10k was 1.1 pennyweight and the 14k was 7.2 pennyweight. My settlement came to $102.91 :thumbsup2
I'm thrilled! I knew I didnt have alot and was hoping to get $50, so I'm very pleased with what I got. This was stuff that I haven't worn in 10 -15 years! It was all just sitting there in my jewelry box and none of it was sentimental for me to pass down to my DDs. So I figure this is $100 that I didn't have a few days ago :)

I told my mom about selling my old gold to GF... she called them too and sent her stuff off today!!! She had alot more than I did:
2 pins
3 charms
10 chains (most of which were broken & just sitting in her jewelry box!)
2 bracelets
10 earrings
7 rings
So hopefully she will get a good payout!

There is no charge from Goldfellow to return items. I sent stuff to them for myself and our moms and it was hassle free and very fast. Whatever was not real they sent back in the mail. They also take silver there - including silverware and items of that nature. The customer service at GF was great too. Very friendly and fast responding.

I had one item that was deemed of no value and was told it would be returned to me... it came back from GoldFellow at no charge to me.

I JUST found this thread and thought it was funny because I had just gone through my old jewelry this morning. A friend of a friend is having one of the "sell your jewelry" parties soon and it never occurred to me that this was such a hot thing right now.

Anyways, I gathered up all of my broken gold, a couple of earrings that have no mates, and the jewelry that ex-h gave me.

I ended up with 1oz of 14k and .5oz of 10k...so 1.5oz total. According to my scale at home anyways.

.5oz of that 1oz of 14k is a solid herringbone necklace.

I am so clueless when it comes to all of this. I tried to follow some of the conversion charts but just don't get it. Anybody have any clue what this might be worth? Is it enough to make it worth it?

I told my mom about selling my old gold to GF... she called them too and sent her stuff off today!!! She had alot more than I did:
2 pins
3 charms
10 chains (most of which were broken & just sitting in her jewelry box!)
2 bracelets
10 earrings
7 rings
So hopefully she will get a good payout!

My mom got her settlement notice today... her payout is $360! She is very pleased!

I JUST found this thread and thought it was funny because I had just gone through my old jewelry this morning. A friend of a friend is having one of the "sell your jewelry" parties soon and it never occurred to me that this was such a hot thing right now.

Anyways, I gathered up all of my broken gold, a couple of earrings that have no mates, and the jewelry that ex-h gave me.

I ended up with 1oz of 14k and .5oz of 10k...so 1.5oz total. According to my scale at home anyways.

.5oz of that 1oz of 14k is a solid herringbone necklace.

I am so clueless when it comes to all of this. I tried to follow some of the conversion charts but just don't get it. Anybody have any clue what this might be worth? Is it enough to make it worth it?
Gold wil lbe measured in Troy ounces whcih are more than a regular ounce. Other than that I can't help you. I have some stuff that I kep saying I should take in, but haven't. I think maybe tomorrow I wil lgo in and see what the local jeweler says. They advertsie buying it, but I'm not sure they wil lbe fair, but at least I can get an idea what I have and whats real gold!

Also, you won't get much for the silver. I turned in a little over 3 oz. of silver when I sent in the gold and I think the payout for that was less than $20. of my entire payment.

What did you end up getting for that yard sale bunch you sent in? I hope you did well!

Allyson

I haven't read this whole thread but I have a question...hope it hasn't already been addressed in too much detail....

Are these places buying 'dental gold'? I had to have a crown replaced and the DDS gave me the old gold crown. I figure there must be a reason...maybe it has some value? :confused3

I haven't read this whole thread but I have a question...hope it hasn't already been addressed in too much detail....

Are these places buying 'dental gold'? I had to have a crown replaced and the DDS gave me the old gold crown. I figure there must be a reason...maybe it has some value? :confused3

To my understanding... yes, USGB does buy gold crowns.

I just called US Gold Buyers this morning and they sent an email with directions on how to send in my gold. The email said that I should call Fed Ex for a pick-up and then USGB ill reimburse me for the shipping costs.

Does this mean that I will pay the Fed Ex guy when he arrives to pick up the gold and then I will get reimbursed later?

Or does it mean that the guy will just pick up the gold and USGB will be billed for the cost?

I've read through this thread somewhat, but didn't remember seeing this. I was thinking that USGB would make arrangements for the pick up and I wouldn't be paying anything up front.

Here is what the email said:

Shipping Instructions
1. Pack your valuables securely in a manila envelope or cardboard box. When packing, we suggest small ziplock bags or some sort of wrap (silver foil, etc.) before inserting in the box or manila envelope.

2. Contact Federal Express by calling (800) 463-3339 to schedule the pick up.
Make sure to tell FedEx that you need supplies.
(FedEx small or large padded envelope, or box and a blank airbill).
Do not use letter envelopes because they tend to rip if they get wet or mishandled.

If the value of your shipment is more than $5000.00, we advise to use
USPS Registered Mail with signature required.
U.S. Gold Buyers, Inc. will reimburse all of your shipping expenses. Please use the sample airbill below to assist you in filling it out properly. Remember that FedEx is there to help you so don’t hesitate to ask any questions.

You shouldn't have to pay anything, although, I've never had FedEx pick up for me. I always went to Kinko's, picked up the envelope and airbill, and just dropped it in a FedEx drop box. You could take it back to Kinko's and actually hand it to a person if you're not comfortable dropping it in the box; however, I've sent gold twice and both times dropped in the box and never had any trouble.

US Goldbuyers is paying FedEx. If you think the gold you're sending is worth more than $5,000, then you should follow the instructions for mailing via USPS.

You shouldn't have to pay anything, although, I've never had FedEx pick up for me. I always went to Kinko's, picked up the envelope and airbill, and just dropped it in a FedEx drop box. You could take it back to Kinko's and actually hand it to a person if you're not comfortable dropping it in the box; however, I've sent gold twice and both times dropped in the box and never had any trouble.

US Goldbuyers is paying FedEx. If you think the gold you're sending is worth more than $5,000, then you should follow the instructions for mailing via USPS.

I live in a very small, rural town so no Kinkos even close to me. I know that USGB will pay the shipping bill, I'm just wanting to know if I have to pay something up front and then get reimbursed.

I know my gold isn't worth anywhere near $5,000..but am hoping for several hundred!

I live in a very small, rural town so no Kinkos even close to me. I know that USGB will pay the shipping bill, I'm just wanting to know if I have to pay something up front and then get reimbursed.

I know my gold isn't worth anywhere near $5,000..but am hoping for several hundred!

No, you don't pay anything to FedEx at any time. You just write USGB's FedEX account number on the airbill (they should have provided this to you in their instructions and sample) and then FedEx takes your package and bills USGB's account for the cost.

No, you don't pay anything to FedEx at any time. You just write USGB's FedEX account number on the airbill (they should have provided this to you in their instructions and sample) and then FedEx takes your package and bills USGB's account for the cost.

Thanks...I just used the "live chat" feature on US Gold Buyers website and that is what they told me as well.

Got my fingers crossed for a good payout...seems prices are back up pretty high right now.

After months of procrastination, I finally sent off my gold today. I weighed it on the kitchen scale & it was a little shy of 5 oz. I've got my fingers crossed for a nice payout. It was 2.5 10k, and about 2.4 of 14k. Any guesses!!!

I would guess a couple hundred at least. I barely had 1oz and got $133, and one necklace was 10K in my pile.

I am searching high and low around my house for more..........LOL

I called Fed Ex at 9:15 am yesterday and they picked up my package at 10:45 am. I got a call from USGB today at 11:15 am with my payout amount.

A few of the things I sent in weren't gold...according to them. A couple of pieces I wasn't so sure about either, but the two rings I thought I could see an "18" engraved inside so not sure why they weren't considered "precious metal" (the term the guy on the phone used.)

Anyway for what was left...a 26" herringbone chain and 4 gold bands I am getting $311.60. The chain was damaged and I would have never worn any of the rings so I feel like I came out OK. The rest of the stuff I just told them to donate to the Salvation Army because I didn't think it was worth paying for insurance and shipping to get them returned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter