WOW - I just sold my old gold........

So far here's what I've been offered for 18.5 grams of 14K gold in small thin chains, one thicker heavier rope chain & a couple thin bracelets. I'm not taking either yet.

1. small local jeweler weighed & offered $6/gram for $111
2. craigslist local guy (based on info I provided in email) about $100

I wish more people would get their weight & price per gram for comparing. I still think I'm being screwed based on the math in that article from earlier in this thread.

ETA: Meant to include that based on math in the article, and based on their figure of $958 / ounce for 24k gold at the time, my 18.5 grams of 14K gold should be about $180. Even higher with todays prices.

Just talked to my friend who's a jeweler, and has been buying back gold for years--he is checking into the legality of doing a house party in MA. If it's not legal, we will plan to do one in his store after hours. Has anyone done or been to the house party in MA? Do you all think I should ask him for a percentage if I bring people to his shop for a party? Advice please! TIA!

Just talked to my friend who's a jeweler, and has been buying back gold for years--he is checking into the legality of doing a house party in MA. If it's not legal, we will plan to do one in his store after hours. Has anyone done or been to the house party in MA? Do you all think I should ask him for a percentage if I bring people to his shop for a party? Advice please! TIA!
I'm in MA. I might be interested depending on the distance. I sent you a PM.

Yesterdays newspaper had big story about gold but I didn't get any more leads on where to sell from it. I just scoured 2 phone books & only see 1 jeweler & many pawnbrokers who advertise buying gold.

Based on info I'm finding here, I think this area just lacks anyone buying gold to resell to refineries. I just checked out the cash4gold.com website. Their prices seem MUCH more in line with what articles state I should expect to receive. I guess the few middlemen around here must be taking a large payment for themselves.

While I hate the thought of doing this online, I might check it out further with reviews to see if people have had any problems. At least I already know what my gold weighs.

Hmm. I stopped in a shop at the mall today to ask if they buy gold. They are technically a jewelry REPAIR place but he had a sign that said they "remelt" gold. None of the jewelry retailers had signs up about buying gold so I didn't even ask. He said $5 per gram, which sounded REALLY low to me. I just said I had some pieces at home and I would have to come back.

I had the pieces in my purse, but not for $5 per gram!:mad:

First I called a Jeweler who goes to my church, he said to come in and he would look at what I had. Spent 2hrs scrounging up old gold.
I got to store and he said he would give me $100 for my highschool ring, 1 hollow rope chain, 2 cross pendants, 2 charms, 1 broken necklace, 1 bracelet and small but heavy rope chain. I also had a gold pendant from my dad's grandmother. I said it seems I have misunderstood the value of gold these days and left.

Drove to pawn shop, got a little smarter and left all my good stuff in car. I only
showed them 2 broken necklaces, 3 charms and 1 bracelet, also a ring i had bought at a yard sale for .25! I walked out with $100 and brought all my other stuff home!!!!

:rotfl: :lmao: :cool1:

I know that one of the rules here was that you could only invite people that you personally know and that you could not put the address of the party on the invitations. They paid out over $12,000 that night in cash, so I'm pretty confident that one of the three people from Goldswap was probably packing heat!;)

Woops! I hit submit before I finished answering!

The going rate here is 10% for the party host. Since that could really add up quickly, I'd make sure to have a nice spread for your guests! Will he let you serve "drinks" at his shop? If not, maybe 5% would be more inline. Have your people RSVP so you know what to expect. We had 23 people on Wednesday.

I would love to do one of those gold parties here in PA. If anyone figures out how to organize one, let me know!! (although the idea of some dude with $12,000 in cash and a gun in my home is a teeny bit frightening to me!! :eek: )

I got all excited reading this thread and took my stuff to a local jeweler. Turns out the only 'real' gold I have is what I'm wearing. LOL Ah well, back into the jewelry box it all goes.

I don't know how many Grams per ounce, but my 1st run at cashing in my gold, i got 920.00 and price that day for an ounce was about 937.00 i don't know how to figure it out but maybe someone here can!

So far here's what I've been offered for 18.5 grams of 14K gold in small thin chains, one thicker heavier rope chain & a couple thin bracelets. I'm not taking either yet.

1. small local jeweler weighed & offered $6/gram for $111
2. craigslist local guy (based on info I provided in email) about $100

I wish more people would get their weight & price per gram for comparing. I still think I'm being screwed based on the math in that article from earlier in this thread.

ETA: Meant to include that based on math in the article, and based on their figure of $958 / ounce for 24k gold at the time, my 18.5 grams of 14K gold should be about $180. Even higher with todays prices.

Okay, I got my mailer from cash4gold.com today. It seems pretty legit. from what I've read on it. It came with a little ziplock-type baggie to put items in and a card with my address printed on it that I was to put in the envelope with the baggie. It had a tracking number for me to copy down so I can check on the progress on their website. There were two options for payment to choose from on the card, paper check or "fast cash" where you send a voided check and they will deposit your $ into your account (I think that one charged a fee). I wasn't comfortable with giving them access to my bank account so I opted for a check. I just put it in the mail today, it says it will take 3-5 days for payment, I assume that's after they receive it.

The address is in FL so it will probably take about a week to get there since I'm in WA state.

Also checked my recipt and i had 1 H.S. ring which was 10K and for that ring i got $55.00 - not sure what the price was for 10k!

hope this helps.

lisa

I don't know how many Grams per ounce, but my 1st run at cashing in my gold, i got 920.00 and price that day for an ounce was about 937.00 i don't know how to figure it out but maybe someone here can!

Woops! I hit submit before I finished answering!

The going rate here is 10% for the party host. Since that could really add up quickly, I'd make sure to have a nice spread for your guests! Will he let you serve "drinks" at his shop? If not, maybe 5% would be more inline. Have your people RSVP so you know what to expect. We had 23 people on Wednesday.

Thanks for the tips-- I was wondering about the drinks in the shop thing, too. We haven't gotten that far in the planning-- he is checking with the local PD to make sure it's OK.

I'll post when I have more info!

Those places that send you an envelope to send your gold into them really raise my red flags. I'm sure you'll get paid, but I bet you get paid a heck of a lot less than what you might get by taking it down to a pawnshop or jewelers. Unless I'm missing something here, you don't get a chance to approve or disapprove the price they give you, so really, they can give you whatever they want. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be generous. :confused3

Last year I used Goldkit.com. When they receive your package,they price it and send you a quote via email for your approval before they proceed.

Well, they claim they never received my package. :eek: I didn't consider sending it certified, getting insurance, etc. Lesson learned. After several months of back and forth they sent me a settlement for $33. This was for several broken chains, 3 bracelets, and at least 2 rings, probably more. I am now sick after reading what others are receiving.

Next time I will go locally where I have more control. :)

Those places that send you an envelope to send your gold into them really raise my red flags. I'm sure you'll get paid, but I bet you get paid a heck of a lot less than what you might get by taking it down to a pawnshop or jewelers. Unless I'm missing something here, you don't get a chance to approve or disapprove the price they give you, so really, they can give you whatever they want. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be generous. :confused3

Actually, you have 10 days to say "no" after you get your check. If you don't get the check mailed back in 10 days you can still call them and they will send you back your jewelry as long as you don't cash the check.

I just took some jewelry into a local jewelry store the other day. I took in:

1 pr of earrings
1 THIN ankle chain
1 THIN necklace (no pendant--chain only)
1 bent ring
1 THIN ring
1 broken bracelet

Total = $154

My mom took in a lot more stuff including a pendant with 3 diamonds. She ended up with $2100 for the pendant and $550 for the misc gold.

Last year I used Goldkit.com. When they receive your package,they price it and send you a quote via email for your approval before they proceed.

Well, they claim they never received my package. :eek: I didn't consider sending it certified, getting insurance, etc. Lesson learned. After several months of back and forth they sent me a settlement for $33. This was for several broken chains, 3 bracelets, and at least 2 rings, probably more. I am now sick after reading what others are receiving.

Next time I will go locally where I have more control. :)

This is what makes me nervous also. It says the envelope that you send it in is insured but for how much? Maybe it would be better to go to the Post Office and insure it yourself? Anyway I sent away for the kit also and may send in a bunch of missing half earrings just to test it out.....

Also - does anyone know ANYTHING about these jewelry parties in NY....I would LOVE to host one of these if it is legal. And could anyone explain to me why it wouldnt be legal. Is it because of tax laws or something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter