• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow how things have changed.

And just another thought… why not add some incentives to staying on site? Like deluxe can book 3 advance LL, mod 2 and Value 1 at 30 days? Offsite is 7am day of? I dunno, just thinking out loud. There just seems to be so many better and more thought out possibilities. I just can’t imagine someone presenting genie+ “ guests will be excited to wake up at 6:30 am each park day to make one LL selection” and no one thought to say “who wants to get up early and deal with stress of planning while ON vacation”

Totally agree with this. It's just ridiculous to expect people to have to do this much planning on a "deluxe" vacation. And I get Disney vacations aren't always entirely relaxing experiences, but if I'm going to shell out for a "high end room"....and that's relative when it comes to Disney....there's no way I'm getting up at 7am every day to fight it out on my phone to be able to get on some rides.

It's not an apples to oranges comparison, because very different vacations, but DH and I just booked 8 nights at 5 star resort in Los Cabos, Mexico for late spring. The service at this resort is next level....there's nothing that compares at Disney. The room comes with a personal butler. It's not cheap....we booked a junior suite with a plunge pool, ocean front...for 10.5K. For another $2,600 we're flying business....round it up to 3K and that covers private transfers on both ends of the trip. Very nice breakfast included. Watersports, fitness classes, gym included. Now...food/drinks and spa will cost another arm and a leg....but it's certainly not cheap in Disney either....so 13.5K for 9 days/8 nights.....all in except lunches/dinners/spa.

I priced out the same time at Disney just to see what it would be. I chose a club level GF room with theme park view, parks tickets (with hopping) and Genie+ every day. $12,125 just for the room. $13,800 with park tickets, hopping and genie plus every day. And again...it's an apples/oranges comparison to a certain degree, but $12,125 for 8 nights in a club level room at the GF with theme park view...is insane. If I was paying even 1/2 that for my room for the week at Disney, I'd expect a few perks, and more than just an hour early entry or whatever....and I'm certainly not going to expect to get up at 7 am to try and fight for a spot for the good attractions on lightning lane.

I suppose it's a matter or demand, but I wonder if Disney does ever consider that they're really beginning to gouge their customers....and providing less while they're gouging?

A major issue with FP+ was there was no recourse for people who came on vacation and didn't know about it. Even if a cast member tells them on day 1, so what? They're getting a FP for Dumbo at that point, if they're lucky. All top tier rides are long gone. With the new system, at least they can use Genie+ to its full capabilities the rest of the days of their trip, if they choose.

The advanced planning is wrong, IMO. Disney should have never attempted to go down that path. While the 7am thing doesn't bother me, I can see how that would bother others. I do freely admit G+ is half baked, at best. I also freely admit that FP+ was worse.
But in its current state genie + is not something you can just buy and use….. although you theoretically can log in at 7am the day of and do your ride reservation, you need to do substantial in advance reading, understanding and planning to know what the h you’re doing to even get anything meaningful out of it. The same people who weren’t planning ahead them, aren’t doing their research now.
I propose an option where a percent are released in advance while some are kept for morning of for those who didn’t plan ahead or booked last minute trips.

But in its current state genie + is not something you can just buy and use….. although you theoretically can log in at 7am the day of and do your ride reservation, you need to do substantial in advance reading, understanding and planning to know what the h you’re doing to even get anything meaningful out of it. The same people who weren’t planning ahead them, aren’t doing their research now.
I propose an option where a percent are released in advance while some are kept for morning of for those who didn’t plan ahead or booked last minute trips.

Like I said, Genie+ is half baked. But yes, you have way more options to just buy and use than FP+. You might not use it the day you learned about it, but at 7am the next day you have the same chance everyone else does. With FastPass, you lost your chance to skip the line for FOP 70 days ago.

Holding back ride reservations is just FP+ with a different name. It punishes those that weren't in the know and rewards those that were. That may seem fair to us, but I'm sure Disney disagrees.

Pre-planning vacations doesn't work for Disney, IMO. I'm surprised so many here defend it while in the same breath saying getting up at 7am is "too much planning". I just don't see the world where that's worse than picking where I'm eating 180 days beforehand and picking rides at 5am 60 days out.

Forget 7am. Go back to OLD SCHOOL FP where you can't do squat until the park opens and you have scanned in at the tapstile. Then once you're in make LL like FP+ where you can choose from an available set of times like when you make an ADR. Also, make it something you can modify. If I have to pay for the service, make it a dang usable service.

Forget 7am. Go back to OLD SCHOOL FP where you can't do squat until the park opens and you have scanned in at the tapstile. Then once you're in make LL like FP+ where you can choose from an available set of times like when you make an ADR. Also, make it something you can modify. If I have to pay for the service, make it a dang usable service.

Agreed....that was way better. And offer a few extra fast passes for extra $$....to those staying club level....etc. I don't mind paying extra money for extra access/enhanced experiences. But this system now is punshiment for all.

Yeah, the not being able to modify is difficult, seeing as Disney is so crazy busy, there are kids having meltdowns and/or falling asleep, etc. With FP, you could at least try and modify to accommodate things like that.

I filled out a survey addressing the amount of park visits during our last trip. I tried to be as specific as I could, but there wasn't any space for you to type in a message, just boxes to check if apply.

I would gladly wake up at any time in the morning from home in advance to book ADR's, rides/Genie/FP, any part of planning the trip rather than get up every morning before 7am on EVERY day of our vacation. When we went this past May, the only time I had to get up to book anything was ROTR. That was nerve-wracking enough. Now I have to go through that for every park every day?! Whose idea was this?!
This is my biggest issue with it. I don't want to get up early on vacation. Especially since my kids are high school college age. We were there mid-December and it was painful being woken up by the alarm at 6:50 to try to get a ride. Especially after attedning the Christmas party that ended at 1am. Also had some technical issues with the paid Genie+ at Epcot with our LLs getting cancelled and nothing left to book. Had a few other problems left me feeling ripped off.

Like I said, Genie+ is half baked. But yes, you have way more options to just buy and use than FP+. You might not use it the day you learned about it, but at 7am the next day you have the same chance everyone else does. With FastPass, you lost your chance to skip the line for FOP 70 days ago.

Holding back ride reservations is just FP+ with a different name. It punishes those that weren't in the know and rewards those that were. That may seem fair to us, but I'm sure Disney disagrees.

Pre-planning vacations doesn't work for Disney, IMO. I'm surprised so many here defend it while in the same breath saying getting up at 7am is "too much planning". I just don't see the world where that's worse than picking where I'm eating 180 days beforehand and picking rides at 5am 60 days out.
So a couple things here, yes everyone has the same chance - but you're missing the point if these same people that struggled with FP+ are going to struggle with Genie+ there's really no change in some people being ahead of others in what they get out of it. I'll be honest I hate the change because we were huge planners and I would much rather wake up once 60 days in advance(at 3am PST) to take care of FP+ planning then have to worry about it at 7am everyday of our vacation, it adds so much more anxiety for me personally to not have any idea of how timing is going to work. But people are different, I get it and this benefits those peops. Preplanning for us was flawless - it was refreshing to know once we stepped off the plane and got on magic express everything was already taken care of.

I think they should have just kept FP+ and charged out the kazoo for the ability to pre-book them. Whatever was left day of (and there was always things left) would be free. Genie+ didn't alleviate any of the line problems that FP+ caused.

I know opinions vary but I think the only thing that seems to have changed is people's tolerance for crowds and waiting. I remember going in November 2018 (7-10 days before Thanksgiving) ... choosing not to wait 270 minutes for FOP or 210 mins for Seven Dwarfs but being willing to wait 150 mins for Slinky Dog ... spending the entire time in every queue on my phone refreshing FP+ in the hope that stuff opened up (and often it did!!) ... constantly being bumped by crowds or having to squeeze by oblivious people blocking ways. I was ok with it then, and I'll be ok with it in a few weeks when i'm back there because it's always been that way for the last 30 years i've attended. The food has always been hit or miss but i still go to California Grill because the fireworks view and wine-by-the-glass options are still underrated, and i'm sure i'll think the same thing in a few weeks as well!

Perhaps i'm too optimistic about the current state, but i know for sure people seem to have some kind of magical feeling about a past that never existed.

This is my biggest issue with it. I don't want to get up early on vacation. Especially since my kids are high school college age. We were there mid-December and it was painful being woken up by the alarm at 6:50 to try to get a ride. Especially after attedning the Christmas party that ended at 1am. Also had some technical issues with the paid Genie+ at Epcot with our LLs getting cancelled and nothing left to book. Had a few other problems left me feeling ripped off.
I have 2 younger kids, so we wake up pretty early, but not that early on vacation and the stress of the app first thing in the morning isn't enjoyable. I would much rather go through this stress from home before my vacation.

I recently returned from an 8 night trip that started after Christmas and ended on the 3rd. My brother joined me during the trip, and I only had 6 park days ticketed and booked due to that.

All in it was a fantastic trip. I only set an alarm for one morning which was our Studios day, as neither one of us had done Rise before. For that particular day booking LL and Genie+ was worthwhile. On all the other days we just did a regular park visit, and slept in and left for the parks when we were ready. This trip was about enjoying ourselves and the experiences that WDW has available.

I was extremely fortunate in many ways. I had booked a AKL Value studio and got a Savannah view. Wonderful ! As far as the bus wait times I believe my TOTAL wait time for the entire stay was about 30 ~ 40 minutes. For example, after I arrived at the bus stop at Magic Kingdom after the midnight fireworks on the 30th I set a timer - and stopped it 38 seconds later. On NYE at Epcot the bus was waiting at the stop for our resort. I was truly blessed on this trip in this aspect !

I accomplished everything my brother and I wanted to. I did Candlelight processional - had reservations but cancelled them prior to arrival and as it turned out didn't really need them. Did Steakhouse 71 dinner 2X (once with my brother, once solo before he arrived) Space 220 lunch, California Grill ( Perfect fireworks viewing and best experience/meal of our trip! ), Teppan Edo NYE, Boathouse. I'm eating low carb and still managed to enjoy all this and ice cream at the Studios, chocolate at the Magic Kingdom, and Pizza from Blaze Pizza in Disney Springs ( several times ).

Did I do a huge number of rides - no. However, doing a trip during this time of year I've NEVER had the expectation of doing lots of rides simply because the crowds in the part wouldn't have allowed it. I did like that having a park reservation guaranteed my entry into that park that day and that I didn't have to be at a park at park opening.

One last thing - to those that have said that the estimated ride wait times at close to park closing are inflated I agree. On one of my Magic Kingdom days I stayed till closing after Enchantment. The first time I got in line for Seven Dwarves at around 10:30 it showed 55 minutes. I got in line a second time at 10:55.

Only had one slight negative. What is it with young females holding their phones up as high as possible to record the fireworks ?!? There were several in front of me that were probably about 5'3" to 5'6" but when they held their phones up they extended their arms fully and it was like being behind a 7' tall person. I looked around and most older people and guys that I could see were holding their phones at about or slightly above eye height.

I am feeling overwhelmed with planning for our upcoming trip for the same reasons. Everything is just different than we're used to, and I feel like I'm going in blind. I'm planning for a group of 11 (which is the largest group I've planned for) so I feel like between that and all the changes, I have no clue what I'm doing and I'm feeling the stress of it all.

I am feeling overwhelmed with planning for our upcoming trip for the same reasons. Everything is just different than we're used to, and I feel like I'm going in blind. I'm planning for a group of 11 (which is the largest group I've planned for) so I feel like between that and all the changes, I have no clue what I'm doing and I'm feeling the stress of it all.
I'm very sorry to see your are overwhelmed. My DW calls me "plannie" to all my family and friends when it comes to WDW. Admittedly, she's correct and I am a planner.

I get anxious too. When I get to that point, I take a deep breath, I do a mental picture of WDW (for me PoTC) and keep planning into context that it is a WDW vacation and that no matter how much or how little planning you do, if you just keep a positive mindset of fun and relaxation then you will have a great vacation. Joe Rohde is entitled to his opinions, but I go to WDW for fun and entertain and relaxation.

I am a firm believer that at WDW you will discover magical moments by planning and by accident.

Good luck and enjoy the vacation!!!!

I don't understand what people do with all these recordings where they feel the need to thrust their phones up in the air into peoples view. Like they're going to re-watch fireworks? It's happening a lot for everything these days - FotLK is horrible about this too, like people are going to rewatch a 30 second clip?

with the younger generation, photos don't cut it anymore, it's all about TikTok so you need (short) video.

All in it was a fantastic trip. I only set an alarm for one morning which was our Studios day, as neither one of us had done Rise before. For that particular day booking LL and Genie+ was worthwhile. On all the other days we just did a regular park visit, and slept in and left for the parks when we were ready. This trip was about enjoying ourselves and the experiences that WDW has available.

This is us as well, but being really seasoned visitors it makes it easier (and AP). Occasionally purchase a new attraction is great for us-esp "if" they keep adding new ones going forward. Will use for Tron and GotG for sure, as well as on occasion for FoP and maybe RotR.

But Genie+ will be rare for us-prob only when friends are along, the 7AM is stupid and not interested in refreshing/staring at our phones all day.

The whole thing sounds pretty awful if I were still in the early stages of visiting. Maybe things will improve as things progress, attractions/land/parks are added if any.

I'm eating low carb and still managed to enjoy all this and ice cream at the Studios, chocolate at the Magic Kingdom, and Pizza from Blaze Pizza in Disney Springs ( several times ).

Blaze Keto crust not bad, and agreed D Springs many times for us as well. :thumbsup2

Only had one slight negative. What is it with young females holding their phones up as high as possible to record the fireworks ?!? There were several in front of me that were probably about 5'3" to 5'6" but when they held their phones up they extended their arms fully and it was like being behind a 7' tall person. I looked around and most older people and guys that I could see were holding their phones at about or slightly above eye height.

I agree the phones thing is annoying, but not at all that it is only women doing it. When last I watched fireworks in the hub, it was equally both genders - including fairly tall men. It was impossible to see around them!

Just returned from a one day trip to AK. Genie+ is awful. After we used up our first one at 9am, we couldn't get another return time before 1pm. Luckily there are trails and the train to Rafikis, so we were able to pass the time. But for a park with only 5 rides (Kali is down, and Triceratops spin is not on Genie+) it honestly feels like a scam. And my youngest was deemed too short for FoP, so we lost the money we spent on his ILL, and my friend's kid took the chicken exit on EE, so she lost that money too. At least with FP+, since it was free, you may have had a time or opportunity cost with things like that but you didn't lose (more) money than you had already spent on your tickets. Plus now you're crisscrossing the parks more since you can't book rides in advance so that they're close together, and you're always on your phone checking wait times and trying to book your next ride. Oh - and you can't purchase individual digital photo pass photos, it's a package or nothing. The only thing I can praise is Mobile Order, which genuinely does save time, and the CMs, who were courteous as always.

But when I look at what we've enjoyed in the past that's likely gone for good - free magic bands, free dining, free magical express, and free FP+ (and yes, I know those things weren't "free" just included) I do think the magic is gone, at least for our family.
I think that you can say those things were free, at least you can say so now since they are not now free and the prices have not gone down.

This is all just... depressing. I'm starting to plan our June trip (which is SUPER late for me - I'm usually planning at least a year out) and we haven't been since 2019. Paying more & getting less as well as the Genie thing has me wishing we hadn't even told the kids we were going because I'm not looking forward to any part of this now. :( We've already decided to stay off property and out of the Disney bubble and now I'm stressing that DH isn't even going to be able to do the ONE THING that he wants out of this trip (ROTR).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter