• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow -- Chicken Little Getting Savaged

lark

DIS Veteran
The reviews are coming in really bad. I wonder how it will affect box office.

I guess Disney should get a slightly longer grace period -- maybe one more movie -- after the Pixar split, but the reality for the parks and for the whole franchise is that it all starts with the movies. If the movies are bad, everything else remains stale, and the parks need more than nostalgia alone. There's only so much more water Stitch can carry in the parks for another 2 years.

I'll see the movie and make my own decision. I hope it's good, but maybe if it's not, it will in the long term be a good thing for WDW. Maybe the mouse needs to shake things up a little.

I certainly wouldn't say it is being savaged. Some reviews are good, some are bad. Not much different from most movies today.

Time loved it, New York Times hated it. Our paper (Plain Dealer) said it was pretty good, another one said it was pretty bad.

The best analogy I can think of is Lilo and Stitch. The movie received mixed reviews, but for Disney it turned out pretty well. Something tells me that this movie will be a hit with the kids, and that is all that matters.

I haven't seen it yet but I am going to the theater today to purchase g/c for my friend's two DD's. Their birthday is today so we will be going to see Chicken Little with my friend, her 2 DD's, and my DD. It looks cute so hopefully it will be good. I am pretty easy to please though. . . haven't seen many Disney movies that I haven't liked. :goodvibes

I'm seeing it tonight in Disney Digital 3-D, but I'm not expecting much. Judging by the previews, this reminds me too much of Home on the Range, no plot or character development, just stupidity for an hour and a half. Most reviews I've read confirm my expectations from a year ago. However, I could be pleasantly surprised. I thought I was going to hate Lilo & Stitch, and now it's one of my favorite movies.

Still I wish they'd bring back the Classic Disney Musical everybody knows and loves.

CarnotaurDad said:
I certainly wouldn't say it is being savaged. Some reviews are good, some are bad. Not much different from most movies today.

Check out rottentomatoes.com, which is kind of the industry authority on these things. It catalogues all the reviews available in print and then ranks it either "fresh" or "rotten," with "fresh" being 60 percent or better. Anything under 40 percent is typically really bad.

Chicken Little is at 34 percent. That's worse than either Brother Bear (40 percent) or Shark Tale (35 percent), which are pretty much the standard bearers for recent horrible animated movies. Just to give you some perspective, here are some other recent animated children's movies and their rottentomatoes scores:

Lilo and Stich: 84 percent
Toy Story: 100 percent
Toy Story 2: 100 percent
Nemo: 98 percent.
Mulan: 89 percent.
Monster's Inc.: 95 percent.
Shrek: 88 percent.
Shrek 2: 89 percent.

Its time Disney brings out the Mouse for a major motion picture. No more remakes. Too bad they canned their animation studio...idiots.

I saw it last Saturday at a pre-screening and we all loved it! It was great!

I can't believe it's getting such bad reviews. We will see it again in 3-D and probably buy the DVD when it comes out.

IMHO, we liked it much more than Brother Bear and Shark Tales by far.

lark said:
Chicken Little is at 34 percent. That's worse than either Brother Bear (40 percent) or Shark Tale (35 percent), which are pretty much the standard bearers for recent horrible animated movies. Just to give you some perspective, here are some other recent animated children's movies and their rottentomatoes scores:

Lilo and Stich: 84 percent
Toy Story: 100 percent
Toy Story 2: 100 percent
Nemo: 98 percent.
Mulan: 89 percent.
Monster's Inc.: 95 percent.
Shrek: 88 percent.
Shrek 2: 89 percent.

On the same page, Wallace & Gromit score a 95%. Seems like if you haven't seen it yet, this would be the preferable choice over Chicken Little.

ntburns22 said:
We saw the prescreening last weekend and my family loved it!

I'm sure we'll love it too. It seems, as a matter of fact, like we've already seen it through the magic of internet trailers and clips. We already know all the lyrics in my house to "One Little Slip." Kind of why I'm a little disappointed in the reviews. It's hard to imagine it wearing out the dvd player like Nemo did, with these reviews.

My nephew (4) went to see it this morning and said "he fell on the floor laughing!" His nanny said it was really funny too. Better than the Incredibles. I guess I will have to go see it ;) You know for an official review! :teeth:

Remember that some limited theaters are releasing it in Disney 3D. This is what we are going to see it in. Now if Disney starts doing more of their movies in 3D, then they are bringing in and back the magic.

Lou Lumenick of the NY post said: "Heavy on celebrity voices, pop culture refrences and rock tunes and low on memorable characters or imagination"

I plan on seeing it next week regardless of reviews. I just wish we had is playing in 3D here. I find that my taste usually varies from many reviewers, I could not stand any of the Oscar nominated movies last year, but then again Shark Tale was a real stinker and the reviews said that, too.

Just got back from Chicken Little. My ds-5 liked it at first then got a little scared by the Alien invasion, then decided he liked it again towards the end. Thought it was cute, but not going to be a Disney hit. Liked the music. DD-7 loved the music and the movie.

I haven't seen it yet,but I hate seeing people slamming some of my favorite Disney movies.Brother bear was one of my favorites of all time. Great story,loved the song "Welcome to our family",and you could really tell that it was hand drawn...it looked great with that storyline,and I loved Home on the Range too.... :Pinkbounc

:( Brother Bear has been one of my favorites too. Don't know why it didn't de better. Would say the story and character developement was akin to the lion king. . . . which is my all time fav.

I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD to see it. Going to the movies has gotten too pricey these days. That said, People magazine gave Chicken Little a pretty good review, saying it was probably the best Disney movie since Tarzan in '99.

OT, I thought Brother Bear had a good plot, but they could have done better with the animation. The soundtrack was pretty good on it too, I still get goosebumps when I come across it.

CarnotaurDad said:
Something tells me that this movie will be a hit with the kids, and that is all that matters.

I totally agree. As long as my DD enjoys the movies, I consider them a hit! She is excited to see Chicken Little - we will go tomorrow - she does not care what the critics say - and if it does not impress me - I just close my eyes and take a little rest!!!! Movies I didn't really care for, she continues to enjoy after many viewings on DVD!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter