Wouldn't it be nice if insurance....

over50visits

DIS Veteran
As fas as I know, every single medical insurance for treatment on ship requires you to pay the fee on the ship and be reimbursed later, assuming they approve the payment.

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney sold medical insurance where you did not have to pay on the ship - your treatment is covered on the spot? I think it would sell like wildfire. No hassles, don't have to potentially come up with a lot of money in hopes of it being reimbursed later, no reluctance to seek treatment if you become ill.

I wonder if the system already in place for crew medical care would be sufficient?

Pencil pushers can price it correctly to keep the money flowing in, and no matter the price many would pay it for the (perceived) security of being able to seek medical attention without the threat of a crippling bill.

The fact that doctors are "independent contractors" isn't an impediment to this at all. Really.

If you think folks might abuse it and fill the medical center with stuffy noses, then charge a simple copay at the time of service, say $25 or $50. Then the rest is covered. Disney makes $$, guests are reassured they will have medical care, and we all cruise on.

I agree it would be nice for anyone with insurance to be pre approved to a limit and no payment or claim back.

Nope. Wouldn't buy it. That's what 3rd party trip insurance is for. Yeah, I have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed, but I prefer it that way. I don't want to pay for an additional insurance up front that I may or may not use.

I personally don't see the attraction. Are there really that many people taking Disney cruise who have no savings to pay unexpected medical expenses? -- Suzanne

I disagree. Just because we have savings, we don't need unexpected expenses that will be later reimbursed by the insurance company. We don't do that for car accident repair. We don't do that for medical insurance at home. We don't do that for appliance warranties.

And I can't see how it would be more expensive that what is available now. In fact, it would be cheaper for the insurance company because they would have fewer paid adjudicators considering reimbursement applications.

I understand many folks, some posting here, would rather pay out of pocket and submit the paperwork later for reimbursement. I suspect that many folks would also like to go get urgent or emergency treatment on the ship and that's the end of it.

I disagree. Just because we have savings, we don't need unexpected expenses that will be later reimbursed by the insurance company. We don't do that for car accident repair. We don't do that for medical insurance at home. We don't do that for appliance warranties.

And I can't see how it would be more expensive that what is available now. In fact, it would be cheaper for the insurance company because they would have fewer paid adjudicators considering reimbursement applications.

I understand many folks, some posting here, would rather pay out of pocket and submit the paperwork later for reimbursement. I suspect that many folks would also like to go get urgent or emergency treatment on the ship and that's the end of it.
Even if it's too much trouble to pay and then be reimbursed (something I essentially do all the time with High Deductible Health Insurance and a Health Savings Account), won't you need to get twice the coverage? Medical on the ship and medical in a foreign port?

So the OP is "blue sky"ing the idea of onboard ship clinics basically contracting with insurance companies. Interesting.

Nope. Wouldn't buy it. That's what 3rd party trip insurance is for. Yeah, I have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed, but I prefer it that way. I don't want to pay for an additional insurance up front that I may or may not use.

The additional insurance you're talking about it which part? If you're already getting travel insurance, what if this were rolled in?

won't you need to get twice the coverage? Medical on the ship and medical in a foreign port?

But if we're imagining a new thing, what if it were together with the more regular, off the ship, insurance? Would it necessarily be more than the current model of paying everyone up front?

It's not an unlimited number of doctors/clinics that this would be for. There are only so many vessels sailing the seas in a cruising sort of way, and one doctor on each of them.

The pay out of pocket and apply for reimbursement is standard for pretty much any trip insurance and out of country medical care. We had travel insurance when we traveled to Japan and had to take my daughter in for medical care. We had to pay out of pocket. Then submit to our health insurance. If they didn't cover it then we would have had to send the denial and bills to the trip insurance. Fortunately our regular health insurance covered it, but that was the process! And it took several months as well.

The pay out of pocket and apply for reimbursement is standard for pretty much any trip insurance and out of country medical care. We had travel insurance when we traveled to Japan and had to take my daughter in for medical care. We had to pay out of pocket. Then submit to our health insurance. If they didn't cover it then we would have had to send the denial and bills to the trip insurance.

One reason you had to do it that way is that your travel medical insurance was secondary coverage, as indicated by it paying only for what your regular insurance didn't cover. Most travel medical is secondary coverage. However, there is also primary travel medical coverage available. It covers your entire covered medical bill when traveling, without respect to any other insurance that may also cover it. So, there's no need to submit to your regular insurance first. Also, many policies of this type have a feature whereby they pay the foreign medical provider directly, so you don't have to come with the money and be reimbursed later. You open the claim at the time medical service is provided, and the insurance company gives the provider their corporate credit card number for payment (among other methods). Most people don't opt for this type of coverage, as it's more expensive. But if the issue of not wanting to be able to pay up front for medical treatment while overseas and be reimbursed later is an issue for you, or if you are in a situation where you may not be able to do so, then the more expensive coverage might be better.

The additional insurance you're talking about it which part? If you're already getting travel insurance, what if this were rolled in?

The travel insurance I purchase includes medical payments and I don't buy DCL insurance. I have used medical services onboard a cruise ship two different times. It was for basic care and although I don't remember actual cost I know it was less than $100 each time. I remember being floored that my antibiotic prescription charge was around $2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter