• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you wear a mask at WDW for incentives?

And what is a face shield if not a clear plastic mask? Truly a distinction without a difference; and MW agrees.
A Mask may be ... among other things...
to-MAY-to
to-MAH-to
Face shields are not masks. It's not a matter of interpretation here. And no a dictionary definition contrary to your belief does not make your assertation go in your favor. I suggest you do more research on your own with respects to the differences. Have a lovely evening :)

I’m not sure what it is about the heat and wearing a mask, but it triggers major anxiety in me. My face gets flushed and I want to rip the mask off because then I feel like I’m choking. There’s no way I could go all day with it while doing a lot of walking in the heat.

There aren't any incentives that could entice me to wear a mask there. Obviously if it were mandatory, I would not go. A Disney day is just too long to be wearing one, especially out in the heat. Personally, it seems to me like wearing a mask all day at Disney (especially during the hotter months), would result in a higher risk of exposure as people would likely be constantly adjusting the mask.

What I forsee occuring with many guests:
Oh, I want a pic in front of the castle, but don't want my mask in it, so I'll take it off just for a sec. I've got sweat dripping in my mask, let me take it off to wipe my face. Now it's time for a water break, gotta take the mask off again. My sweaty hair is blowing in my face and getting under my mask so now I have hair in my mouth, gotta wipe that away. Time to reapply sunscreen, gotta touch my face. Let's eat some popcorn as we walk to the next ride, wait, can't have my mask on and eat. Now I'm on Space MTN, it's dark and no one can see me, I'll just take it off for the ride and let the cool air hit me. Oh, you can't hear me over the fireworks, let me pull my mask down so you can hear me better.

Not to mention people just adjusting it every 3.2 seconds because it's just plain hot and uncomfortable. There's no way I'd want to do that on vacation and I can't imagine expecting my kids to wear one all day without constantly touching their faces.

I also worry that there would be more people suffering heat stroke from having their face covered and some not staying as hydrated, as you of course have to move the mask to drink. With certain rides, I wonder if there might be safety hazards with wearing certain types of masks. I'm thinking about certain cloth or bandana styles without it tightly secured on rides like RnR and Space where someone has their mouth open, and the mask gets sucked into their mouth.

Yeah, overall, a mask is not something I'm willing to do at Disney, no matter what the incentive.

I’ve been wearing a mask if I go out. I have no problem with it. I feel more comfortable wearing it and others around me feel more comfortable that I’m wearing it so fine. I could wear it in Disney on a cool day but definitely not a hot one. I don’t think I’ll be comfortable being in Disney with or without a mask at this point so no incentives will help.

I’m a mom of two small kids. I’m pretty on top of the guidance and research concerning this virus in regards to children. What you said could lead to someone making a very poor, dangerous, and possibly deadly decision for their child because they were trying to protect them.

They are two different things. You will often see people wearing both, at the same time, in medical settings. You can read research on the efficacy differences. I don’t think you wrote what you did with any malice, but it could harm someone and I would, personally, appreciate if you edited your post.

Again, I’m a mom of two small kids. I didn’t have time to go into a long explanation about how “I know you didn’t mean it this way....” I thought it was important that I point out the danger before signing off, so I did.

Disney doesn’t owe anyone anything for wearing a mask! Silly to even suggest such a thing. If mandatory I’d wear mine- even if not mandatory I would wear like I do now.

Disney doesn’t need to pixie dust, give free food or fastpasses to people. Tired of people thinking Disney owes them free pixie dust!

Of course DIsney doesn't owe anyone anything, but if the responses here are any indication Disney may just have to do something to encourage guests to visit if they re-open with a mask requirement.
There will be those that will return and wear their mandatory mask, but will they be enough to justify the costs of being open? Disney will have to make that determination and if they aren't making (enough) money they will certainly find a way to entice more guests to come with some pixie dust.
Just like they have had various promos through the years for other reasons, the bottom line for them was to fill the resorts and the parks.

Wow- I walked away from the computer for a little while and was so surprised to see all this. I was thinking if they ENCOURAGED your to wear masks, and rewarded those who did so. Not require. And a PP was correct- I was simply day dreaming and thinking of all the things that *could* happen. Not trying to start a war! lol!

I only wear a mask where required to do so. If it’s not required I don’t wear it even if it’s encouraged. And I notice that the ones who are fully covered up look at those who aren’t as if they’re trying to end all of humanity. I won’t even vacation at Disney if they are highly encouraged but not required. I can see some heated arguments happening and I really don’t have the patience for it.

Of course DIsney doesn't owe anyone anything, but if the responses here are any indication Disney may just have to do something to encourage guests to visit if they re-open with a mask requirement.
There will be those that will return and wear their mandatory mask, but will they be enough to justify the costs of being open? Disney will have to make that determination and if they aren't making (enough) money they will certainly find a way to entice more guests to come with some pixie dust.
Just like they have had various promos through the years for other reasons, the bottom line for them was to fill the resorts and the parks.

I think they’re going to have to rely heavily on FL residents and people who live in nearby states. I wouldn’t want to travel all that way to have what I consider a subpar vacation, it’s too expensive. I’d be more willing to spend money on attractions that are closer to home because there are fewer costs, like travel, extra time off work, etc.

Locals and lots of discounts.

We have a trip planned for August. We will not go if masks are needed. I do not wear one and will not wear one to go on vacation. I will cancel my trip if that is a requirement. I am going with family members 19 in all, we all agree it would not be a relaxing vacation if we are stressing about masks and social distancing. Plus I love taking vacation pictures and nobody would want a picture. I would not go to Disney even if they gave me the vacation free with restrictions, especially covering my face. No vacation anywhere with restrictions would be worth my money.

I’m not sure what it is about the heat and wearing a mask, but it triggers major anxiety in me. My face gets flushed and I want to rip the mask off because then I feel like I’m choking. There’s no way I could go all day with it while doing a lot of walking in the heat.

Not sure if same situation and/or reason or cause, but DS9 is on spectrum and has sensory issues, and his doctor said that the mask makes him feel claustrophobic, regardless of the temperature and/or humidity - I feel the same, it's just worse when it's warmer, but it makes me feel like that guy must have felt in "Alien" , when the creature was stuck to his face !

Face shields are not masks. It's not a matter of interpretation here.
Face shields are definitely masks. There is no world where...
494689is a mask, and...
494690is a mask, and...
494691 is a mask, but...
494692is not a mask.
And no a dictionary definition contrary to your belief does not make your assertation go in your favor.
This is an interesting rebuttal, I'm not really sure what you are saying. What better source for the definition of words than a dictionary would you recommend?

Merriam-Webster says that a mask may be "a protective covering for the face", and "a comparable device to prevent exhalation of infectious material". Dictionary_com defines it as, "any protective covering for the face or head." thefreedictionary allows, "A protective covering for the face or head." Cambridge dictionary says a mask is, "a covering for all or part of the face that protects, hides, or decorates the person wearing it".

Every dictionary I can find includes a definition for the word "mask" that absolutely describes that clear face shield.

They are two different things. You will often see people wearing both, at the same time, in medical settings. You can read research on the efficacy differences. I don’t think you wrote what you did with any malice, but it could harm someone and I would, personally, appreciate if you edited your post.
I was speaking broadly and used the words 'mask' and 'babies' because they apply very broadly. I did not recommend anyone put a N95 respirator or a surgical mask on an infant.

But if you are going to bring your potentially contagious child, of whatever age, along to share a space with 20 or 30 thousand other people, and Disney would like me to be one of them, then steps should be taken to limit that kid, as a transmission source. Whatever the specific approach is that is most suitable for the specific child, it comes down to the same thing. A mask.

Air+ markets a power assisted N95 for children as young as 3 years. For an infant that might mean a plastic barrier or draping a cloth over the stroller, as the AAP recommends. That's along the lines of what I had in mind if the subject were an infant. I'm happy to repeat the CDC recommendation that children under two not wear face masks that might restrict breathing. That seams to be the common wisdom here and now. Though there is a James Dyson Award winning design for a filter respirator for infants that incorporates a pacifier nipple.

I will say though, that I never thought to be quite so specific, mainly because the practice of putting a filter mask on one's baby is common in other parts of the world. Maybe babies in Singapore are just more resistant to suffocation than our babies, because their infant mortality rate is far lower. In fact, not that long ago the Stritch School of Medicine, citing CDC research, produced a helpful guide for equipping pediatric patients with face masks, including patients younger than 6 months old. It included direction to "Fold adult sized masks in half and fit them across their small faces" and warned of a sorta adorable risk, "... of misidentifying children when multiple siblings are wearing masks".

TL:;DR
Don't wrap cloth around a baby's face. I mean, unless of course it's a common practice where where you are and there are not regular news reports of babies suffocating, in which case who am I or anyone else to tell you what to do?

Face shields are definitely masks. There is no world where...
View attachment 494689is a mask, and...
View attachment 494690is a mask, and...
View attachment 494691 is a mask, but...
View attachment 494692is not a mask.

This is an interesting rebuttal, I'm not really sure what you are saying. What better source for the definition of words than a dictionary would you recommend?

Merriam-Webster says that a mask may be "a protective covering for the face", and "a comparable device to prevent exhalation of infectious material". Dictionary_com defines it as, "any protective covering for the face or head." thefreedictionary allows, "A protective covering for the face or head." Cambridge dictionary says a mask is, "a covering for all or part of the face that protects, hides, or decorates the person wearing it".

Every dictionary I can find includes a definition for the word "mask" that absolutely describes that clear face shield.
I respectfully suggest you do more research, outside of google's lovely dictionary and image searches, regarding the difference between a mask and face shield and their usages as it relates to coronavirus (the actual topic at hand). I'm not going to go into a back and forth over this on a battle of what you perceive is semantics so I'm going to just leave it at what I've said and move on :)

No incentive would be enough for me to wear a mask at Disney. The thought of it makes me hyperventilate. Plus, I don't want a modified experience. I will stay away until this passes.

Universal City Walk opened. Guests must have their temperature taken and be wearing a mask. They had a reasonable number of people visit today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter