Would you wear a deceased family members clothing?

I certainly would if I could, but my mom was tiny. I've not gone through her stuff yet, but I plan to invite my little aunt to see if she wants anything. I'll probably keep a purse or two, including a new one with tags that I can't decide whether she bought for me or for herself.

As for jewelry, I can't fathom why anyone would have a problem with this. To me, a piece of heirloom jewelry is so much more special than something bought new. Right now, I am wearing my engagement ring -- the stone was originally in a ring belonging to DH's spinster great aunt; a diamond band -- the stones were part of a dinner ring that belonged to my DH's grandmother; and my wedding band, bought new for me.

Hi Maryann,

I have! The funny thing is, I used to shop for my DM and picked out alot of her clothing. I had good taste, bTW! ;) Now I'm wearing my mom's hand me downs! :laughing:

I wear my mom's wedding rings on my right hand. It is my way to still feel connected to her.

TC :cool1:

If I bought most of the clothing myseld, it fits me (or DH or DSs), and it's still in near-perfect condition, why not? I threw out worn items and gave items that we could not use to charity, but items of my parents' clothing that we could use were split up among close family members. Perhaps the fact that I was raised not to waste anything is a factor.

I have! My mom passed away last year and my sister and I went through all of her clothes and kept what we wanted. I have worn a couple pairs of pants of hers and have kept a few sweaters just cause they remind me of her.

I also took all her jeans (and she had a ton of them) and made a quilt for my sister out of them. It came out beautifully!

I guess it is just me. But, I would have a hard time with it. So, no I don't think I would.

I might..especially if it was an item that I really associated with the loved one and/or it made me feel close to them/remember them fondly.

I certainly would if I could, but my mom was tiny. I've not gone through her stuff yet, but I plan to invite my little aunt to see if she wants anything. I'll probably keep a purse or two, including a new one with tags that I can't decide whether she bought for me or for herself.

As for jewelry, I can't fathom why anyone would have a problem with this. To me, a piece of heirloom jewelry is so much more special than something bought new. Right now, I am wearing my engagement ring -- the stone was originally in a ring belonging to DH's spinster great aunt; a diamond band -- the stones were part of a dinner ring that belonged to my DH's grandmother; and my wedding band, bought new for me.

I found this old bangle in my Grandmothers stuff it is really cool & it has D M B I had no idea who's it was then one day it hit me it was my Great Great Grandmas.

Kae

I would. However, if it was an item that the person actually died while wearing it, no I probably couldn't as there would be negative associations with the clothing.

Yes I would and am. I have my mom's handbags (DD has used a few of them). And my aunt passed away in January, and my cousin offered me her coats and other items. I took 2 leather jackets, and think of her each time I wear them.

Just fyi, couture doesn't actually mean classic, though it sometimes turns out that way. Couture clothing (which is a shortening of haute couture - like 'high sewing') usually refers to handmade one-offs, pieces designers make for the runway or for specific clients. Like if Oscar de la Renta made that jacket specifically for Jacqueline and it wasn't mass produced but made by hand for her, it's a couture item. Dunno if it was, just saying.

I thought it was nice she wore it, given what she was promoting and I don't think it's weird or anything either.

Every day I learn something on the DIS.
Thank you! :)

Yes; I would & have. My favorite is a set of silk Chinese style pajamas that my grandfather (who died way before I was born) sent home to my Nana when he was serving in WWII.

Seeing how Jackie's "hand me downs" are all probably Chanel, Givenchy, Oscar De La Renta, Valentino, etc. .... I would have no problem wearing them! And, she had impeccable taste in fashion and had some wonderful pieces!

If my mom had pieces that fit me and that I loved, I would wear them!

I think it is strange that someone would say "I could not wear it." There is something comforting about wearing my loved one's things. I wish I had more of my Nana's stuff and my dad's. I have a pair of PJs that dad wore when he was bedridden with cancer and he kept them from his father. My mother was shocked that I wanted them.

My mom was smaller than I am, but there were a few things of hers I could wear, and I did. It made me feel close to her, like I was wrapped in her loving arms again.

Doesn't bother me at all. When my mother died, I then wore her two winter coats for many years. One was a beautiful suede coat that was just a few months old and she'd paid good money for it. Would have seemed a waste to throw it or give it away. We divided up my mother's jewelry and my sister and I wear it.

Absolutely! I have a sweatshirt of my dad's that was so worn out it's as soft as a baby's blanket now.. When I get to really missing him bad, I'll put it on - although it's not suitable to be worn in public..:lovestruc

I also kept quite a few of my late husbands pull-over sweaters, shirts, flannel shirts, and quilted jackets.. They literally "swim" on me, but I wear them because they bring me comfort and make me feel closer to him..
:lovestruc

I totally could and do. I wear my mom's Disney sweatshirts to bed, all the time.

My grandma isn't dead yet, but I have a sweater I use at work that she gave me. I'm not going to quit wearing it when she dies, it will always remind me of her.

I also have a flannel shirt from my dad that I took from him when I was in high school and I still wear today; again, not going to quit wearing it when he dies either.

I have worn clothes that belonged to my mother before she died. I have no problem with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter