Would you want your adult kids to inherit money?

First I'll say that I don't think it makes people irresponsible when parents pay for their adult kids vacations. My dad usually pays for vacations he invites us . Regarding the inheritance op I hope your parents put some sort of stipulation hopefully education is in there. I don't think inheriting a large sum of money at a young age = irresponsible spending. My grandparents have split everything already they signed off the companies, vacation properties and land to their children. Everyone is happy. Grandma has been pushing for me to go visit to "take care of things". I am afraid this means they are planning on leaving me their house, which is extremely generous of them, but that puts me in a very uncomfortable position. Their house is in the middle of the family gated community, my dad, aunts and uncle all have houses there. I can't sell it and put a stranger in the family community, but DH and I never see ourselves settling down there. I have ask, beg and pleaded not to be put in that position, but they are set on their way. Honestly, when the day comes we have no idea what will happens except that we will probably end up with a very large vacation home that we will have to maintain to keep the family happy.

I would like to use this opportunity as a PSA: please don't leave petty, passive aggressive distributions to people. Just leave them out. Leaving $150 in loose change to a child is sad, especially when you name their sibling as a Trustee to carry out the dirty work.

Now, 'this' is what I would call childish! Why would people want to be vengeful from the grave? :confused3

No matter how many good things they had done - would always be remembered for their last act of revenge, and for what purpose? Just causing pain, hurt and resentment between family members - maybe forever! :sad1:

First I'll say that I don't think it makes people irresponsible when parents pay for their adult kids vacations. My dad usually pays for vacations he invites us . Regarding the inheritance op I hope your parents put some sort of stipulation hopefully education is in there. I don't think inheriting a large sum of money at a young age = irresponsible spending. My grandparents have split everything already they signed off the companies, vacation properties and land to their children. Everyone is happy. Grandma has been pushing for me to go visit to "take care of things". I am afraid this means they are planning on leaving me their house, which is extremely generous of them, but that puts me in a very uncomfortable position. Their house is in the middle of the family gated community, my dad, aunts and uncle all have houses there. I can't sell it and put a stranger in the family community, but DH and I never see ourselves settling down there. I have ask, beg and pleaded not to be put in that position, but they are set on their way. Honestly, when the day comes we have no idea what will happens except that we will probably end up with a very large vacation home that we will have to maintain to keep the family happy.
Actually this sort of happened to DH's cousin. Built their dream home on family property-all the siblings and parents owned a section of land. After a couple years the wife simply HATED living so far in the country and they SOLD it to strangers. I am sure the family wasn't thrilled -but things happen

I have been an estate planning paralegal for 7 years and have seen many unfortunate situations and circumstances in my career in regards to inheritances. Every situation is different, but I feel like my favorite trusts to prepare are ones with distributions that are staggered (like half at 30 and half at 40). I've never been a fan of trusts that bypass the children for the benefit of the grandchildren as I would hate it if unforeseen circumstances (medical, divorce, etc.) late in life stripped my child of their financial means and savings so then they're having to ask their children for money or help. Of course, that's only if the clients are doing it with the thought that their kids have the financial means to support themselves. It's a whole different story if they just don't like their kids! I am a big fan of grandchildren educational trusts, though, where you can have the bulk of your money go to the children and a set amount set aside for the grand kids education (and then to the grand kids if money is left over from the set amount after college).

I can't begin to tell you the amount of trusts I've done where the clients set out leaving a huge chunk to their grandchildren and then come back in every 6-12 months to take grand kids out that don't call to say thank you after receiving gifts from their grandparents. So always call your parents/grandparents and thank them! :) lol

I would like to use this opportunity as a PSA: please don't leave petty, passive aggressive distributions to people. Just leave them out. Leaving $150 in loose change to a child is sad, especially when you name their sibling as a Trustee to carry out the dirty work.

Don't feel too bad. I'm sure the children know what buts the parents or grandparents are.

I am afraid this means they are planning on leaving me their house, which is extremely generous of them, but that puts me in a very uncomfortable position. Their house is in the middle of the family gated community, my dad, aunts and uncle all have houses there. I can't sell it and put a stranger in the family community, but DH and I never see ourselves settling down there. I have ask, beg and pleaded not to be put in that position, but they are set on their way. Honestly, when the day comes we have no idea what will happens except that we will probably end up with a very large vacation home that we will have to maintain to keep the family happy.

Maybe you could sell it to another family member?

Did the client want the child to enjoy a coin collecting hobby?

I honestly think this is a non of your business type situation. It's their money, and your kids' money. I understand wanting to set them up on the right path, but you do that now, while you are raising them. Once they are grown they will have those values instilled in them. Hopefully they'll make smart decisions, maybe they won't. Maybe that money will get them through college. Maybe they'll make an expensive mistake.

When the time comes, set them up to meet with a financial planner, who can help guide them. Beyond that, let go of the control.

When we drew up our wills we had very young children, but if something happened to both DH and I, there would be $1 million for them to share. We put stipulations in that they would each receive 25% of their inheritance at ages 25, 30, 35, and 40. At the time, there were only 2 kids, and we didn't want to drop $500k into anyone's lap at 21, or even 25. This way, they would get a little at a time, and at ages we thought would be most beneficial. 25 - pay off school loans/plan for a wedding...30 - buy a house, have kids...35 and 40 - invest toward retirement/ pay off debts. I fully intend to raise them so that they understand the value of a dollar, but knowing how life and priorities change over time, this worked for us.

I did know someone who was an adult (over 40) when his mom died, and his inheritance was put in trust. We never did find out what the stipulation was in that trust, but it never paid out to him, and he died in his 70s. He was always expecting to get the money, and when he hit certain age milestones, we'd wait to see what happened. He certainly spent like the money was just around the corner. But it never came. The joke was that he wouldn't get the money unless he held a job, but maybe that was it. He never really worked because he knew he was getting an inheritance. It was a shame.

OP - the best part about your situation is that if the money is coming from the grandparents, you will presumably still be here to give guidance to your children.

DH used to work with a guy who had a trust fund that stipulated that he had to have a job working in the public sector and retire from that job. He was a police officer with a very nice car, a nice house, and plenty of toys and travel. I thought it was an interesting way his grandparents had made sure their grandchildren had a comfortable life, but were still required to have jobs and contribute to society. I think some of the cousins were teachers, firefighters, etc.

One of my college friends was made trustee for her brother's inheritance from their parents. Brother had a history of going out for a few drinks, getting in his car, and having an accident. By the time he was 25, he had rolled 3 cars. Very fortunately no one else was injured (they lived in an isolated area). Parents were afraid that if he got an inheritance, it would be game over.

I have a 20 year old daughter right now, and I would absolutely not want her to inherit any money right now. We actually just re-did my MIL's trust - if either me or my sister in law outlive her sons, we would get our husband's share - previously, the other brother would just get all of it. My daughter (her stepdaughter) is the only grandchild (and will always be the only grandchild) but we specifically decided that any money she got from the estate would flow through us. And if my MIL passes anytime soon, we'll set up our own trust that she inherits a % every five years until she's 35 or 40, because despite all of our attempts to teach her to be good with money, she's just NOT.

She's a nice young lady, she worries about others, she takes care of her business, but she is TERRIBLE with money. And it's not like we didn't teach her.

We have had our revokable living trusts set up since I was pregnant with #1. Our life insurance goes in there as well as our estate. The guardian and financial guardian are named. It's all done well. Same with my folks. I trust their estate-planning attorney. He does things well. I'm just not in agreement about kids inheriting money in their 20's or 30's. I think that once everyone calms down we can work this out. I'm sure I can talk to their attorney too...I have before for another trust.

ETA - Our kids college is 100% prepaid and they have decent 529s also for grad school so they won't need the $$ for education. If they did, I might feel differently. Education keeps coming up and I thought I should clarify that.

I'm sorry, but how can you be worried about how your kids would spend an inheritance from their grandparents? You already have them set up with trusts, college accounts and 529s. Your kids are all set for the kind of everyday expenses that many of us have to borrow to cover, or forego. You've covered them for their everyday living; so what if they blow the money? It's just inconceivable that you don't want your kids to inherit money because you are afraid you won't approve of the way they might spend it. You are the parent, but stop trying to micro-manipulate the lives of people who will be adults when they inherit.

You do realize what a first-world, 1% kind of "problem" this is, right?

My daughter is willed everything my parents have (money, property, life insurance policies, everything) and I do not mind. I have everything I have willed to my daughter as well. She's an only child and they are her only set of grandparents that actually care about her and see her and they feel like they have to make up for that I think. Plus, my parents have no siblings that are trustworthy enough to get anything (they probably would just drink up the money) and my siblings do not need it they feel like. I know that my daughter would do well with whatever she's given. She would use it wisely.

My husband and I are quite worried about leaving a lump sum (approximately $500,000) to our daughter in her mid 20's because of her long time boyfriend. He is very irresponsible and has made bad choices before they were together resulting in a lot of debt among other problems. We don't trust him...period!!! My son is in his early 20's and we totally trust him with it. We don't want to cut our daughter out of anything, but we are afraid she will marry this guy and then our hard earned savings will be blown by him. We've thought of leaving it all to our son and letting him judge when she is ready to have it, but don't want to cause friction. If we give him all of his up front and give hers in increments, we feel there will be resentment. I guess we should put it in trust, but the thought of that guy getting near ANY big portion of it really, really makes us want to leave it all to our son and let him control her portion. Is anyone else in this situation?

My husband and I are quite worried about leaving a lump sum (approximately $500,000) to our daughter in her mid 20's because of her long time boyfriend. He is very irresponsible and has made bad choices before they were together resulting in a lot of debt among other problems. We don't trust him...period!!! My son is in his early 20's and we totally trust him with it. We don't want to cut our daughter out of anything, but we are afraid she will marry this guy and then our hard earned savings will be blown by him. We've thought of leaving it all to our son and letting him judge when she is ready to have it, but don't want to cause friction. If we give him all of his up front and give hers in increments, we feel there will be resentment. I guess we should put it in trust, but the thought of that guy getting near ANY big portion of it really, really makes us want to leave it all to our son and let him control her portion. Is anyone else in this situation?

Why don't you spend it on yourself. Are you planning on leaving it to her now? A lot can change if this is after you pass(which could be really far off), but if it were me I wouldn't cut her out because you don't like her boyfriend /spouse. That seems cruel to me. You have no idea if she'd even give him any of it.

Not in this situation but had a relative in it.

First, remember if she decides to support this guy financially or otherwise there isn't much you can do. in my cousin case she was supporting a non-working, bum (my opinion lol) of a husband. why she loved him is anyone's guess.

Anyhoo, my aunt and uncle basically helped her during her life but made sure everything was in her name.

You can definitely put condition on any trust but as I said, unfortunately as parents we have to realize that once adults we can't control only recommend to our children

Last edited:
I'm just throwing this out there...

I am willing to accept any inheritance you guys would prefer to not give to your own children.
I LOVE this post :rotfl:

Let me ask folks, what is the point of an inheritance??? is it to help the person live the way they want or is it to help the person live how you feel they should??

If a 25 year old gets an inheritance and takes it to travel the world is he irresponsible because he does not get a job and save it???
Personally I would love it if my 20 some thing did that. can you imagine the experience?? whowza
If a kid is passionate about music, takes his inheritance, drops out of college and tries to make it in music but doesn't has he " blown" his inheritance
I'm a little gob-smacked by this thread. There are frequent discussions on the DIS about all manner of moral and ethical issues, specifically in terms of what parents should or should not be able to reasonably expect/require/demand of their children's conduct. It is seldom that the tide of opinion doesn't flow in favour of unfettered freedom for anyone of legal age. Does it not strike anyone else as bizarre that so many of the posters here seem to feel fully justified in trying to control the financial futures of their adult off-spring? And it's startling enough from those that are talking about how they plan to disburse their own personal estates. Those that are presuming to control both their parents (and/or grandparents) and their children leave me speechless. :confused:

I LOVE this post :rotfl:

I'm a little gob-smacked by this thread. There are frequent discussions on the DIS about all manner of moral and ethical issues, specifically in terms of what parents should or should not be able to reasonably expect/require/demand of their children's conduct. It is seldom that the tide of opinion doesn't flow in favour of unfettered freedom for anyone of legal age. Does it not strike anyone else as bizarre that so many of the posters here seem to feel fully justified in trying to control the financial futures of their adult off-spring? And it's startling enough from those that are talking about how they plan to disburse their own personal estates. Those that are presuming to control both their parents (and/or grandparents) and their children leave me speechless. :confused:

I completely agree with you. I mean even the title and "adult kid". I understand the whole thing that a child will always be your child no matter what the age, but to hear that there are people that think even someone in their 30's cannot manage the own finances and that the parents want to determine what is appropriate to spend an inheritance on is crazy.

This is a topic my husband and I have considered carefully of late. Our youngest is about to turn 18, and we re-did our wills, removing guardians and assigning everything to them legally.

Our lawyer talked to us about different ways to do this, and I don't think he believes we made the right choices, but they were ours to make. We went back and forth about it ... but, in the end, we chose to say that when we die -- no matter how old they may be -- they get it all then. We really discussed it for months, but in the end, these were our reasons:

- Putting money in a trust isn't free. We don't want to waste money establishing and maintaining a trust, not when that money could be in my children's pockets.
- We've been living with these kids for 18 and 21 years, and we know they're forward thinkers with self-discipline who will listen to advice. That doesn't mean that they're immune from making bad choices, but we know that we've taught them frugal habits. While I don't think they'd handle the money as well I would (with years of experience), but I also don't think they'd blow through it.
- And perhaps most importantly: We don't really think they'll inherit early; we're both middle-aged, but we're young and healthy, and the chances of us BOTH dying while the girls are still in their 20s aren't particularly high.

However, we also chose not to simply hand it over without advice -- after all, they're young and inexperienced. Rather, we put together a full notebook of materials (2 copies, one for each child), and they know that these notebooks are in the waterproof, fireproof safe.

We put significant effort into putting this advice and materials together for the girls, and they know where to look ... if we were both to die. Right now the notebook is written for them in their early 20s; we've decided that each year we're going to review the notebook in April when we do our taxes, and we're going to update things as appropriate. So at some point we'll include sons-in-law and grandchildren, etc.

Here's what we put into the notebook:

- A personal letter explaining in detail what's obvious to older people: This money is a gift that will come but once in their lives, and if used correctly it can give them choices and make their lives (as well as the lives of their future spouses and children) better -- literally forever; whereas, if used poorly, it can get them used to a lifestyle they can't continue. It explains that this money -- though it might seem like a great deal at the moment -- is not enough for them to live upon for the rest of their lives, and it begs them to make good choices.

This letter gives them permission to spend a small portion of their inheritance on something "fun" -- and to do it without guilt -- but not to "play with" more than a certain amount. It specifically suggests that they go on a cruise or a ski vacation for the Christmas that they spend without us.

And this letter asks them NOT to make any big changes in the first six months. It discusses how they'll be emotional and will be searching to find their way; that is, they're not to buy a new car, not to quit their jobs, etc. for the first six months; rather, they're to wait until their emotions come back into focus before they make any big choices.

It tells them which family members they should go to for help (and which ones who should be avoided because they'd hurt more than they could help).

One daughter is almost finished with college, the other is just beginning. The letter instructs them both to complete their education, and it points out that we could've withheld the money until they'd done so ... but we chose to trust them to finish their educations.

One daughter has a significant other whom we think she will marry as soon as she's done with college, but we caution the other girl NOT to let any young men know that she has this money -- and we explain why.

Then we get to the checklists, upon which we spent significant energy:

- The first section of the book is a checklist of things they must do IMMEDIATELY. It includes the name of the funeral home our family's always used, instructions on going to our house, caring for our pets, securing the house and our cars, etc. This section tells them to be frugal with our funeral because money isn't love. It also contains a list of family and friends /phone numbers that they should call, and it contains photographs they could use for an obituary.

- The second section is about things they must do within a few days. It includes contact information for our lawyer, a copy of the will, and information on how to get the lawyer to open a probate file, obtain death certificates, etc. It tells them that they're labeled as beneficiaries on our bank accounts, and it tells them what banks to go to/file numbers, and how to get the money from our accounts.

This section instructs them to use the money from our checking and savings accounts for our funerals and their immediate needs. It should be enough for our oldest's boyfriend (who is not American) to fly over immediately; he would be a good influence on the two of them, if they were suddenly planning our funerals and a new future without us.

- The third section is about collecting our final paychecks, investments, etc. It contains all our account numbers, contact names, etc. so they can get what was ours. And we've made them beneficiaries on everything (that itself was a chore). This section also discusses what they must pay on our behalf; it includes a list of the bills we pay every month (so that no one can fool them by claiming we owe them money).

This section reminds them that this money can either be the best or the worst thing that ever happens to them ... and it asks them to spend the majority of it for education, for a house, and for their retirement.

And this section gives them a number of specific suggestions on exactly how they might choose to invest their money. It lists experts to whom they might turn for advice. We tell them that we lean heavily towards the idea of them finishing their educations, buying themselves houses, and then putting the rest of the money into retirement accounts.

This section discusses the virtues of keeping vs. selling our house and our cars. And it tells them how to go about selling these things (right down to the names/contact information) for a handyman, in case things need fixing around the house before they sell.

This section includes two years of our tax returns and the name of a tax attorney to whom they should turn to file our final taxes the next April. As I said, we plan to review /update this notebook every April, so each year we'll toss the oldest tax return and replace it with a newer one so they'll always have two years of tax returns, which the CPA would request.

- The final section of the notebook is documents. It includes official copies of our birth certificates, copies of our will, copies of our parents' wills (because we inherited properties through those wills). This section also contains a flash drive with all these documents digitized.

Whew, that was a lot, but -- as I said -- we put significant effort into this project. We tried to put together everything they'd need, and we do feel secure about it. We feel sure that IF we were both to die while our girls are in their 20s, they would be able to use this information to navigate the storms connected to finalizing our estate and using their inheritance well.

If we were to die, and if they were to inherit in their 20s, would they handle our money well? I think they would -- but these notes would help them do it well.

This is a topic my husband and I have considered carefully of late. Our youngest is about to turn 18, and we re-did our wills, removing guardians and assigning everything to them legally.

Our lawyer talked to us about different ways to do this, and I don't think he believes we made the right choices, but they were ours to make. We went back and forth about it ... but, in the end, we chose to say that when we die -- no matter how old they may be -- they get it all then. We really discussed it for months, but in the end, these were our reasons:

- Putting money in a trust isn't free. We don't want to waste money establishing and maintaining a trust, not when that money could be in my children's pockets.
- We've been living with these kids for 18 and 21 years, and we know they're forward thinkers with self-discipline who will listen to advice. That doesn't mean that they're immune from making bad choices, but we know that we've taught them frugal habits. While I don't think they'd handle the money as well I would (with years of experience), but I also don't think they'd blow through it.
- And perhaps most importantly: We don't really think they'll inherit early; we're both middle-aged, but we're young and healthy, and the chances of us BOTH dying while the girls are still in their 20s aren't particularly high.

However, we also chose not to simply hand it over without advice -- after all, they're young and inexperienced. Rather, we put together a full notebook of materials (2 copies, one for each child), and they know that these notebooks are in the waterproof, fireproof safe.

We put significant effort into putting this advice and materials together for the girls, and they know where to look ... if we were both to die. Right now the notebook is written for them in their early 20s; we've decided that each year we're going to review the notebook in April when we do our taxes, and we're going to update things as appropriate. So at some point we'll include sons-in-law and grandchildren, etc.

Here's what we put into the notebook:

- A personal letter explaining in detail what's obvious to older people: This money is a gift that will come but once in their lives, and if used correctly it can give them choices and make their lives (as well as the lives of their future spouses and children) better -- literally forever; whereas, if used poorly, it can get them used to a lifestyle they can't continue. It explains that this money -- though it might seem like a great deal at the moment -- is not enough for them to live upon for the rest of their lives, and it begs them to make good choices.

This letter gives them permission to spend a small portion of their inheritance on something "fun" -- and to do it without guilt -- but not to "play with" more than a certain amount. It specifically suggests that they go on a cruise or a ski vacation for the Christmas that they spend without us.

And this letter asks them NOT to make any big changes in the first six months. It discusses how they'll be emotional and will be searching to find their way; that is, they're not to buy a new car, not to quit their jobs, etc. for the first six months; rather, they're to wait until their emotions come back into focus before they make any big choices.

It tells them which family members they should go to for help (and which ones who should be avoided because they'd hurt more than they could help).

One daughter is almost finished with college, the other is just beginning. The letter instructs them both to complete their education, and it points out that we could've withheld the money until they'd done so ... but we chose to trust them to finish their educations.

One daughter has a significant other whom we think she will marry as soon as she's done with college, but we caution the other girl NOT to let any young men know that she has this money -- and we explain why.

Then we get to the checklists, upon which we spent significant energy:

- The first section of the book is a checklist of things they must do IMMEDIATELY. It includes the name of the funeral home our family's always used, instructions on going to our house, caring for our pets, securing the house and our cars, etc. This section tells them to be frugal with our funeral because money isn't love. It also contains a list of family and friends /phone numbers that they should call, and it contains photographs they could use for an obituary.

- The second section is about things they must do within a few days. It includes contact information for our lawyer, a copy of the will, and information on how to get the lawyer to open a probate file, obtain death certificates, etc. It tells them that they're labeled as beneficiaries on our bank accounts, and it tells them what banks to go to/file numbers, and how to get the money from our accounts.

This section instructs them to use the money from our checking and savings accounts for our funerals and their immediate needs. It should be enough for our oldest's boyfriend (who is not American) to fly over immediately; he would be a good influence on the two of them, if they were suddenly planning our funerals and a new future without us.

- The third section is about collecting our final paychecks, investments, etc. It contains all our account numbers, contact names, etc. so they can get what was ours. And we've made them beneficiaries on everything (that itself was a chore). This section also discusses what they must pay on our behalf; it includes a list of the bills we pay every month (so that no one can fool them by claiming we owe them money).

This section reminds them that this money can either be the best or the worst thing that ever happens to them ... and it asks them to spend the majority of it for education, for a house, and for their retirement.

And this section gives them a number of specific suggestions on exactly how they might choose to invest their money. It lists experts to whom they might turn for advice. We tell them that we lean heavily towards the idea of them finishing their educations, buying themselves houses, and then putting the rest of the money into retirement accounts.

This section discusses the virtues of keeping vs. selling our house and our cars. And it tells them how to go about selling these things (right down to the names/contact information) for a handyman, in case things need fixing around the house before they sell.

This section includes two years of our tax returns and the name of a tax attorney to whom they should turn to file our final taxes the next April. As I said, we plan to review /update this notebook every April, so each year we'll toss the oldest tax return and replace it with a newer one so they'll always have two years of tax returns, which the CPA would request.

- The final section of the notebook is documents. It includes official copies of our birth certificates, copies of our will, copies of our parents' wills (because we inherited properties through those wills). This section also contains a flash drive with all these documents digitized.

Whew, that was a lot, but -- as I said -- we put significant effort into this project. We tried to put together everything they'd need, and we do feel secure about it. We feel sure that IF we were both to die while our girls are in their 20s, they would be able to use this information to navigate the storms connected to finalizing our estate and using their inheritance well.

If we were to die, and if they were to inherit in their 20s, would they handle our money well? I think they would -- but these notes would help them do it well.
You're doing the same micromanaging the OP is trying to with her children and money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter