Would you walk away from $14M?

I've been following this via news stories I have seen. There is something not right with whoever had this ticket was trying to do.

Setting up the trust did not help them because in the state of Iowa the law says the individual people still have to be identified.

Very weird situation.

It sounds weird but I know if I won the lotto, I would not want it to be public record of any kind. I can see why the person went thru great lengths, if I could set up a trust in my state to claim it and be "hidden" i'd do the same thing.

It sounds weird but I know if I won the lotto, I would not want it to be public record of any kind. I can see why the person went thru great lengths, if I could set up a trust in my state to claim it and be "hidden" i'd do the same thing.

But would you walk away from millions if you couldn't stay hidden?

Why can't they just give the ticket to someone else in return for a share of the winnings?

DH has joked that if he won the lotto he wouldn't want his ex to know. I wonder if it is a situation like that.

No way I could ignore this kind of money to avoid publicity! Even if I took the payout now, and paid the taxes, I'd still end up with about $7M in MY bank account. :yay: Maybe this person is on the FBI's top 10 List (or Letterman's :rotfl:) or has been on America's Most Wanted or something. I can get a pretty decent locking fence and some seriously unlisted phone numbers with that kind of money, to keep the folks looking for a handout (and the media) away.

Heck, I'd probably do it for a lot less than $7M. Oh, please, please let me be so inconvenienced!!

Believe me, if I won millions I would be traveling so much my momma couldn't even find me. :lmao:

This must be something really bad like Americas Most Wanted person or something. But why play if you knew you wouldn't come forward to get the money? weird. :rolleyes1

Believe me, if I won millions I would be traveling so much my momma couldn't even find me. :lmao:

This must be something really bad like Americas Most Wanted person or something. But why play if you knew you wouldn't come forward to get the money? weird. :rolleyes1

Really weird. And they waited until just a few hours before it expired to bother coming forward.

Either someone has a serious reason they don't want to be found or they were pulling some kind of scam with this ticket.

We have a whole plan for what will happen if we win the lottery and it involves not coming forward right away! Something may be fishy this time but I absolutely WOULD NOT want to be identified if I won!

But if it was the person not wanting to come forward due to witness protection or not wanting to be hounded by media, wouldn't the attorney be able to just go to the commisioner and explain the situation?

They had a year to come up with a plan, you would of thought they would come up with something a little better then this really strange story.

Why purchase the ticket, if you can't/won't cash it in? :confused3

Right now I really have nothing to hide lol but I would make sure that only the minimum required was advertised. I think you can opt to get your money without all the hoopla of pictures and news announcements lol...

I know for the FL lottery there is always pictures of the winners with the big checks on the website, i would pass that up.

But no right this moment, I wouldn't pass it up but I would limit as much as possible all the extra "press" that normally comes with big jackpots.

I see why they need to make sure to get the people that win and see them and get information, to keep the integrity of the games but I don't agree with them being so public about it. Then again, it could be the winners that are wanting all the hoopla LOL

Right now I really have nothing to hide lol but I would make sure that only the minimum required was advertised. I think you can opt to get your money without all the hoopla of pictures and news announcements lol...

I know for the FL lottery there is always pictures of the winners with the big checks on the website, i would pass that up.

But no right this moment, I wouldn't pass it up but I would limit as much as possible all the extra "press" that normally comes with big jackpots.

I see why they need to make sure to get the people that win and see them and get information, to keep the integrity of the games but I don't agree with them being so public about it. Then again, it could be the winners that are wanting all the hoopla LOL

Don't blame you for that. In Iowa you do not have to have a ceremony or do any press but your name is public. Apparently, with this situation they did not want to give officials the names.

I'm going to go with this person was getting divorced when they bought the ticket. The divorce wasn't made final until after they knew they won.

The winner does not wish to any way, shape or form give half to their ex-spouse. .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter