• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you take you laptop? just in case for Disney Deals

2012bella13

Mouseketeer
I received an email from Disney saying that while we are there they would email me deals & surprises, to check my email everyday.
I do not have a phone with internet access, so I would have to take my laptop, Would you take your laptop?
I am concerned about it getting stolen, & I was planning on a vacation, not checking my email everyday.

:confused3WWYD?

I doubt they will send you any deals. We were there in November and then January and go no deals sent to us. Leave it at home if you are going to worry about it.

We always take our laptops. If anything, we download our pics each night. I don't worry about things getting stolen though. Never even entered my mind. We'll do the same next week.

We've received those emails before trips. It was photopass offers if I remember correctly. So no, I wouldn't take a laptop just for that. We do bring one though. We use it for photos, checking email and watching movies on the plane. It doesn't get used much but it's nice to have just in case.

*one thing of note is that we don't use our cell phones on vacation (the U.S. plans with our provider are ridiculous). So checking email is the easiest way to check in with family and check in with whoever is watching the house and the cats :)

I've brought my laptop to Disney in the past but I found it I didn't use it.
If the only reason you're bringing it is because you think you might be getting deal emails I wouldn't bother bringing it. I was mad at myself for bringing it, just something extra to carry around in the airport.

We always take our laptops. If anything, we download our pics each night. I don't worry about things getting stolen though. Never even entered my mind. We'll do the same next week.

I do the same. I wouldn't travel without it and I also back up my pics daily. It won't fit in the safe but you can always lock it in a suitcase. I didn't. I locked my USB flash drives and external hard drive in the safe because I back everything up on there anyway. I just put my laptop into a drawer and left it there and it was fine. I've done this 4 years in a row now.

Touching on something in the OP's opening question, if that is the ONLY reason you are thinking of taking a laptop -to check possible deals - I wouldn't bother.

We always bring our laptops. Mostly to do video and photo dumps off of our cameras, and now that there's free wifi in the resorts, to do video skype with the family back home so they can see the hotel room, see us, show off souvies, etc. We do NOT check email, though.... we wait until we're at the airport on the way home for that :thumbsup2. We have never gotten any bounceback special deals over email, just a flyer in the room. We like having the laptop too to check in for our flights, change dining reservations, etc. It's just convenient.

If I didn't bring my computer, I'd probably explode.

Last time I brought my laptop, two tablets, and my phone to check email on the go. And I brought a portable battery to charge my phone in the parks.

As other PPs have mentioned, if you only want to bring a lap top because of the possibility of getting some kind of great "deal", then don't bother. On our last visit all we got besides dining reminders were suggestions about "extras" that we could buy. As in- please spend more money while you're here. ;) Really not worth it. But we always bring our laptop on vacation for email and storing photos.

Ditto the others here. Take the laptop for watching movies, uploading pics, what have you, but not for getting the Super Duper Double Secret Email Only Disney Deal That They Send To You Only When You're Least Likely To Get It. :)

I can't imagine leaving the house for a trip (business or personal) without my ipad, iphone and macbook, but I only carry my phone into the parks. I've had a BB or similar device since '01, and you can pry it out of my cold dead hands. Sometimes the extras WDW suggests are great ideas, also, I got a great groupon/living social/amazon local a year or 2 ago for the Mandarin Spa while I was in WDW. Bought and booked it while having a pint at the UK at Epcot:)

That said, I think its a personal choice. Does keeping up with email seem like a hassle to you, or would you feel more comfortable if you could check it a few times a day if you don't get your email on your phone? I've traveled with a very dear BFF and she can go a WEEK without checking email, while I would not feel comfortable going a day without checking (she's a school teacher, I'm a consultant), so I think you just have to know yourself.

Disclaimer: I am that person that people on the Dis talk about being too connected...I don't text on rides, but DH and I will often play games TOGETHER, while waiting in lines, like "Ticket to Ride". It might seem like we are both absorbed in our phones and ignoring each other. In reality, we are trash talking each other and engaged in a game...together! And playing Ticket to Ride while waiting for a train at MK is kinda awesome:)

If you are going to bring the laptop just for that then I would say just leave it! Chances are you might get some type of bounce back waiting in your room for you one day during your stay. If not, you could always ask the front desk if there's any bounce backs going around. Why bring one more thing to lug around?

It's a little known secret that if you check in at exactly 802 a.m. And the cast member is named Christie and you let them know that you have your laptop with you Disney will send you an email with where to pick up a very large sum of cash. The email will basically be a treasure hunt type of game to play to find the money. If you don't get there at the right time or get the correct cast member dont despair maybe next time.........LOL
In all seriousness we take our laptops and tablets but not bc of email offers just to have them .

As PPs have said, there's no need to bring your laptop just for the purpose you mentioned as it's highly unlikely you'll get any emails of value. That said, if you do choose to bring it for other purposes, I wouldn't stress about it getting stolen. Whenever I travel, I put my laptop inside its case, then inside a drawer or my suitcase. I've never had any problems. My Dad travels a lot for business and does the same thing.

The wifi at the resorts is REALLY slow. I wish I didn't bring mine frankly.

Thanks everyone!!
I will leave it at home, it is not something I need & I do not need any more stuff to lug around.

If I didn't bring my computer, I'd probably explode.

Last time I brought my laptop, two tablets, and my phone to check email on the go. And I brought a portable battery to charge my phone in the parks.

I can't imagine leaving the house for a trip (business or personal) without my ipad, iphone and macbook, but I only carry my phone into the parks. I've had a BB or similar device since '01, and you can pry it out of my cold dead hands. I've traveled with a very dear BFF and she can go a WEEK without checking email, while I would not feel comfortable going a day without checking (she's a school teacher, I'm a consultant), so I think you just have to know yourself.

Not flaming in the least, so don't think I am, but I think this is hilarious!:rotfl::rotfl: I know with some professions, you have to stay connected, but I go on vacation to get away from all of that. In fact, I normally call back home to check in in the morning and then maybe again at night before going to bed, but then leave my phone in the room safe. I don't want to be connected to the outside world, when I'm at WDW.:rotfl::rotfl: I can't imagine carrying a ipad, macbook, etc around down there. My emails will still be waiting just fine for me when I get home.:rotfl:

I have a 16 y/o GD like that though. No way could she ever go down there without a ton of electronics. I don't think her iphone is ever out of her hands. I swear she sleeps with that thing. I'ver never seen it when she wasn't glued to it. I can easily pack for a week at WDW in a 20" carry on. She needs that much space just for her electronics, makeup, and hair supplies alone.

I took mine last trip and never took it out of the suitcase. I may take my Kindle this time but my email comes to my phone so its not really needed.

I'm guessing those of you without laptops are not photo takers? We'd never have enough storage for all our photos if we didn't upload them every day or two. I have no need for ours other than that, our phone can do whatever the laptops can do.

But I'm also in the group that can't imagine being unconnected for the entire trip. There are work things that I'll need to tend to during our trip, including confirming payroll completed correctly. Sucks to have to work while in WDW but you gotta do what you gotta do, right :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter