Would You Take A One Year Old?

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
I'm trying to convince my DH to plan a trip for my baby's first birthday and my 29th birthday. I would want to go August 2nd to 9th (my birthday is the 2nd, baby's is the 8th).

Do you think this is a good idea? I know that Chase won't remember the trip, BUT, I want him to have his first haircut on Main Street. We'd take TONS of pictures and video and I think it'd be easier with a one year old than a two year old who only says "no." LOL. (We are still planning on taking Chase when he's 2, though).

So what do you think the pros and cons are of taking a one year old?

BTW, DH and I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss WDW! We're suffering from WDW withdrawl! It's horrible......we've hung 7 posters in OUR bedroom of Disney things! We have a villians poster, an animation poster, a poster of Cinderella's castle.....we're bringing WDW here because we can't go there! HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I have done WDW with my 3 children at various ages and it can be a lot of fun. The hardest years are when they are walking but really unable to understand the need to wait in the lines. If your baby is not yet walking it will be easier on you. Keep the babies needs at the top of your list, not too much sun, plenty of hydration and lots of built in rest time. Make your pace slower, soak in the atmosphere and take in the attractions that the baby can enjoy (music/visual stimulation) and you should have a great time. I say, ENJOY!!

I took my one year old and then we went back when she was three...it was much easier when she was one. She stayed in the stroller the majority of the time, took naps, and didn't complain. When she was three she wanted to run around, never wanted to take naps, and did a LOT of complaining. She wanted everything she saw and would throw a fit when we told her no. It was even worse than normal since she wasn't taking naps...she would get really cranky. So it is a lot easier to take a one year old.

We took our Chase to WDW when he was 16mts and @2 1/2yrs. He was also better when he was younger. Stayed in the stroller and no complaints. Schedule lots of rest time. We stayed @ASMo & he loved the giant Woody & Pongo. We scheduled lots of swim and nap times at the hotel. Not only for him but for mommy as well. Have Fun!!!:bounce: :bounce:

**Chase loves the bounce!!!:bounce: :bounce:

scanne, first congratulations on the birth of you baby!!!!!! We are taking our first disney trip in October with 4yr old son and twins 23 months. i would have gone sonner but didn't think i could handle three small kids in disney. Since you only have one what have you got to loose, you won't have to buy him a ticket and it will be great to get his picure taken on Main street. Go for it!!! By the way, i am from woodbury NJ, not too far away.Have fun!!!!

We're going in December with our ( will be ) 14 month old, and I've got worries about the trip, but I would'nt let it put me off.
I know we're not going to be able to see and do everything, but it does'nt matter, we can always go back.
Like you I'm thinking of all the videos and photos that I'll take for memories. I'm going to start a scrap book with them.
The thing I am REALLY dreading the most is the 9 hour flight :eek:

:jester: 88 to go :jester:

We took our DD when she was 8 months for her first trip and we were able to go back and celebrate her first birthday. Definitly do it. The memories you make for youself are priceless. She was much more aware of her surroundings this time and I will never forget the awe and excitment on her face when she first saw Spectromagic comming down Main St!:Pinkbounc By the way she was much better to deal with than my DD6.

The first time we went we had 3 kids, DD 5, DD 3, & DS turned 1 the week after we got home. While the trip was magical for my DD's they met the REAL Cinderella, my DS took his first steps in WDW!! It is something I will never forget.

It's got to be easier with 1 , than with the 3 we went with. But we went on to have 3 more, and they each went at about 1 year old also.

It's not a terrible age to travel with. MUCH better than the 2 teens we have NOW!! LOL

Thanks for all the great advice and stories!

poohlover - what a great memory! Your son's first steps in WDW? Truly magical!!!!!!

I am going to plan a trip and continue to "work on" DH. (Although I don't think it will take a lot of work to convince him!)

Now hopefully there will be great AP rates or codes for next August. I'd LOVE to stay at a monorail resort, BUT b/c DH also wants to go to WDW next October for MNSSHP, we'll probably go with All Stars or a moderate. I want to get AP's so we can go in Aug. 2003, Oct. 2003 and June or July 2004. 3 trips in a year, then plan on baby #2!!!!!!!!

Um, ok, I'm REALLY getting ahead of myself here.......

scanne,
I will be going to WDW next year with my(then to be) almost 3 yr old ds and 11 month old dd. Like the other posts, I know she will be sleeping a lot of the time in the stroller but HE is going to be the busy bee! Go and enjoy yourself!!!!!:) They are only little once!

My girls have been down since they were 7 months old (now 6 and 4). DH and I NEED our WDW every year (that is why we bought into DVC). I know my girls do not remember anything about their first or second trip, but I do.

I love going through the photo album with them and letting them make the memories of themselve through the pictures. We have a picture and video of our DD(now 6) at 7 months with Mary Poppins. Mary talked to her for a good 10 minutes and left her with a kiss on the cheek with lipstick. I took a picture of her face with the lipstick on it and we laugh about it to this day.

In addition, I agree with the other posters. At this age, it is the best time to travel, they can sleep in the stroller - do not give you any backtalk:rolleyes: and also, you can do what you want to do.

Remember WDW is not just for kids, we need our fix too.:cool:

Congrats on your baby!!

As others have said one year olds are great to take to WDW!! We took our August born baby when she was 14 months for her first trip and she had a blast and so did we!! She especially loved all meeting all the characters and the parades. She loved it so much she would wake up in the morning and go immediately to her stroller and pound on it and tell us "go!" Even though she won't remember her trip we have a whole photo album of pictures for her to see that I know she will love to look at when she's older.

She just turned two and we have an early Nov. trip lined up. We can't wait to go!!

Have fun!

My oldest DS (who is now 4 1/2) was 13 months on his first visit and he was great. This was the easiest trip we've had with him. Didin't mind the stroller and would just sleep whenever he was tired. We took him when he was 2 years old and it was just a little more challenging, but not bad.

I say go for it! She will just be in awe of everything around her.

Michelle

I'm going to be the spoiler.

I went with an 11 1/2 months DD once. Have later gone with 2 1/2 year old DS and 5 year old DD. Plus did Disneyland this summer with 6DD and 3 1/2 DS.

When my daughter was 11 1/2 months, she did not walk yet and stayed in stroller. However, you can only walk up to the line with the stroller. I had to hold her on line. And, some of those lines were long. My shoulders were aching. While a thin baby, my kids are tall, so I think she weighed about 20 pounds at the time.

She wasn't good at napping in the stroller and got really out of whack, off schedule and cranky. Plus, she wouldn't eat baby food anymore and I had a heck of a time finding anything she would eat at the parks.

The one saving grace on the trip were the baby stations. I spent a lot of time in them and she seemed happiest there. However, is it worth spending all of that money on a trip to hang out in a baby station?

Maddie would not even believe she was at WDW as a baby except for the pics to prove it. I had only done the trip because my dh had a convention down there. We stayed offsite which was a real pain - I did not have a rental car and shuttle only went to WDW in the mornings and didn't return until the evening. I was stuck in WDW all day and couldn't go back to hotel for a rest break. That definitely would have helped. Plus, I couldn't believe the distances that I had to walk carrying the baby before I even reached stroller rental (definitely better to take your own stroller at that age).

On the other hand, when we went last year DD 5 and DS 2 1/2, we had a great time - especially the 2 1/2 year old. We had a good time at DL this summer - although kids 6 and 3 1/2 now, were being much pickier about what they would or wouldn't go on.

If your baby is very easy going, eats anything and doesn't weigh too much you might be able to do. However, if your baby is not good off schedule and a picky eater, I would not recommend it.

I understand what you mean about your WDW withdrawals. And I haven't even got to that point yet!!! But I know it will be bad.

We found out in July we are expecting #2. I have one more trip planned in October (prior to finding out we were PG) and then I don't know when I will be back. Hopefully fall of next year and then, the baby will only be between six and nine months. We may leave the baby with grandma and go with our son that time but if he/she doesn't go then, I know he/she will be going the next year around one year old. We just couldn't wait too much longer and grandma would be worn out!

Now, I used to think I would NEVER take a young child to WDW. We had our son in 1999 and took a trip down there without him. Most of the time, I kept wishing he was there to see everything we were seeing. He took his first Disneyland trip at 17 months and his first WDW trip at 23. With this baby coming, I have no qualms about taking him/her earlier. Sure, it changes the dynamics of the trip but so what. In my case, I have been to WDW so many times in the past few years that if I don't get to ride TOT, I won't "die". :) And even if he doesn't remember, YOU will.

Good luck convincing your DH. It will be a trip to remember.

I would definitely go - we took our girls when they were 10 months old & are planning to go back now when they are 22 months old. Wouldn't miss it - the memories for you and the pictures will be worth it!

Well, how about TWO one year olds? LOL. Read my STILL unfinished trip reports - links in my sig.

Congraduations. I say go on the trip, but do you have to go in August? That is one the hottest, bussiest, and most rainy times of year? Our daughter was born March 29, 2001 and we took her to WDW for her first trip Dec 13 2001. That was good timing, great time of year, she was old enough to enjoy it, but still young enough to be nursing, baby food was easy and she still sleep anywhere when tried. It was a great trip. (our next one she will be just short of 2 years old, I may be crazy for going then!)

IMO going before she was walking was nice, 9 months old is a great time to go, or maybe you could go in early June or May before the crowds get bad it is just too hot to enjoy it.

I second DisneyPHD on NOT going in August. It is EXTREMELY HOT. I felt faint on several occasions from the crowds and heat. I really don't know how a little one would be comfortable in that kind of heat. I also saw many parents struggling carrying their babes in lines since strollers cannot be pushed through them.

DS now 3 1/2 has been to WDW at 9 months (for New Year's Eve 1999!!!), at 2 1/2 and at 3 1/2. DD turned 3 months old when we were there in August. The younger they are the easier they are. Both of mine were easy going babies and slept in the stroller and didn't care what the grown ups wanted to do. We used a backpack for DS while we were standing in lines and took turns holding him. Absolutely bring your own stroller, the ones at WDW don't recline for napping and you'll have it to use outside of the parks.

On the note about having trouble finding food for a young child... We arrived at Epcot at 6:30 am on New year's eve. I hadn't planned well and ended up running out of baby food (the gerber turkey sticks and veggies that DS was eating at the time). Now I was a VERY anal first time mom when it came to eating and what kinds of food he ate. But when in Rome...... since it was impossible to get near any of the sit down restaurants that day,we were stuck with counter service. Well, DS got his first taste of junk food and was gumming a funnel cake from the American pavilion by 2pm. He lived and hasn't truned into a junk food eating couch potato :) in fact, he doesn't even like candy and stuff like that ....I have NO idea where he gets that:D

Go, you'll have a great time!!!! We go in August every year. A little planning, some mister fans (kids LOVE them) and you'll be fine. Staying on site makes life sooooo much easier too. Yo can go back to the hotel and relax when it gets too hot. My only piece of advice is to go after August 15th. A lot of southern schools start the third week in August so it's less crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter