Would you take a 9 year old to an Imagine Dragons concert?

tina.tina

DIS Veteran
DD(14 in March) told us last night that she would like Imagine Dragon concert tickets for her birthday. I was so relieved because she is so hard to buy for.

DH and I probably haven't been to a concert since the Lilith Fair (over 15 years ago). Our DS9 also loves Imagine Dragons and I just assumed we would take him, too. In fact, it's hard for me to imagine :) leaving him at home because he loves music so much.

We got to talking later and I found out that DH assumed we wouldn't take him, but DH has been to a lot wilder concerts (Motley Crue) than I've ever gone to. So, I thought I would ask people who might have more experience than us: Would you take a 9 year old to an Imagine Dragons concert?

If you are going to be with them then I don't see why he couldn't go.

Imagine Dragons is pretty mild pop, so he could certainly go, make sure you take ear plugs for both kids. You can just barely put them in the ear canal, so they can still hear the music just fine, but the volume is muffled. Prevents that whole "ears ringing for the next 3 days" problem.

If my DD was 9, yes. We've taken her to concerts since she was about 6. She's now 20 and is going to see Imagine Dragons in July for the 3rd or 4th time. Be prepared, when you start taking them to concerts young they get addicted! She probably been to at least 40+ concerts with 3 planned for this year.

Our kids are also 14 & 9. We just recently started taking the older one; little one stays with Grandma even if it's a band she likes.

Not saying our way is THE way, but it works for us.

Heck, we saw kids in their preteens at the Motley Crue concert last fall ;). We took DS when he was about that age to his first concerts, and now he's addicted, too :). I think as long as your DS is mature enough to understand that other people may be drinking/drunk, smoking "substances", swearing, etc around him, but that it doesn't make it okay, he'll be fine. I don't care how "clean" the act is, there's always some audience members who are idiots :(.

Have fun!

Terri

If you let him listen to the music, then I see nothing wrong with the concert. DH and I are going to Kid Rock this Summer- I wouldn't take a child to hear him but I wouldn't let a kid listen to 90% of his songs either. I was a pretty liberal parent my kids as preteens saw NSYNC and Justin Timberlake but also Boston, Kiss...anything they were allowed to listen to we were OK taking them to.

We took our kids (at the time, ages about 7-9-10) to see Stone Temple Pilots. I would take a 9 yr old to see Imagine Dragons.

:teacher:
We had binoculars, and one of my kids was watching Scott Weiland and commented "Mom, he's wearing eye makeup and lace gloves!" to which I replied "He's a rock star...he can do anything he wants!" :rotfl2:

I would. I went to my first big concert at 9. My poor dad had to suffer through a NKOTB concert. :lmao:

Somewhere in an alternate universe your dad was posting -- should I let my nine year old drag me to a NKOTB concert?

I would take the 9 year old if it were me.

Somewhere in an alternate universe your dad was posting -- should I let my nine year old drag me to a NKOTB concert?

I would take the 9 year old if it were me.
Probably. But the 12 year old got to go. Do I want to hear about it for the next year??? :lmao:

I don'T see any problem with a kid that age going to that concert.

I do think that it isn't really nice to do something for the whole family and call it a major gift to just your DD though.

We all went to Chicago to see Wicked for my dd's 11th birthday. She was so excited to see Wicked again for her birthday, she didn't even blink that her brother came too.

Oh we do family outings, chosen by the birthday person, pretty much every year, but that is never their "gift" I, personally, just don't think that is very fair---and less so if it is not the case for both kids (ie, the DD would get to do something she would really enjoy along with the family on her brother's birthday).
I just read the OP as her big gift is that she gets to go to the concert and being told who she will take along. I, personally, think that is a bit unfair to her, but then every family is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter