Would you take a 6-month-old to a character meal?

k-wa

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

New mom here. I know the photos will be precious, but I also don't want my son to be scared. What has been your experience with character meals and this age group?

Thanks!

We totally would take a 6 month old to Character dining. Infact we did. We took DS when he was 6 months old and we went to the Crystal Palace. Its quieter than others and its our favourite place to go when we go to WDW. DS was in awe of the characters as they came to visit. The characters know what to do with little little ones. They were great!!

Too young to be scared at that age. The prime "scared" age won't start for another year (around 18 months) and lasts until 3 or four (but not all kids are scared. Some are never scared).

At six months they don't "know" enough to be scared of much. But they ARE facinated by things like huge walking stuffed animals that wave at them. (Then again, that was also the age at which a mylar balloon was my daughter's Best Friend Ever).

We took our DS when he was 6 months and he LOVED them...went back at 10 months and he HATED them!

Go early...enjoy it while they still like them! Then, be prepared to avoid them for a couple years!

I agree with the others. We took our then 6 month old and she thought it was great! There's nothing abnormal about a 5' tall mouse at that age! We went back when she was 14 mos. and she was terrified! I would walk away from the table with her but if she could see the characters approaching her sister (5 years old) she would become hysterical! Now is definitely the time to do this. Have fun!

We took our 5 month old just last month and he loved it! Our older son was 7 months on his first trip and he also loved it. Go for it!!

Thanks all, for your insight and enthusiasm! We will definitely do this -- leaning toward Crystal Palace for breakfast. :goodvibes

I always thought CP was one of the louder meals. :laughing:

Cape May was a really mellow meal for us.

I think a character meal is a great way to see the characters, especially with a little one. No hot lines, food on the table and the characters come to you. Can't beat that!!

We are leaving in 2 weeks and will have a 7 month old and have 6 character meals planned! I'm not worried at all!

DS loved the characters at 6 months. The CP - with Pooh, Tigger, etc. was his favorite. He just laughed and laughed while interacting with Eeyore and Pooh.

DS enjoyed the characters again at 8 months, but at 13 months, he was scared of the "plush" type characters (our soultion was that I held him in the pics, and stood between him and the characters, the bit of distance helped). He did love the Princesses. at 13 months Now, at almost 3, he loves them all and will run up on his own for pictures.

We took my son at 5 months. He had no idea what was happening.

When we went back when he was a year he was terrified, but at 5 months he was happy as a clam.

We took my son at 5 months. He had no idea what was happening.

When we went back when he was a year he was terrified, but at 5 months he was happy as a clam.

Oh goodness, we plan on taking our new granddaughter in November. She should be 5 months then. Our newest grandson will have just turned 1 year. So, from what you are saying, he may be the one we'll have to worry about. Oh well, we'll just have to see! We'll have fun regardless!!

If the 6 mo old was our only, I would wait.

We did take DD at 6 mo but that was only because of our 2 yr old. Mickey was the only one who really did anything with her at Ohana but I have a great photo of the interaction!

:rotfl: i took my 6 week old to the character breakfast at the poly.. she slept right through it LOL

:rotfl2:

Last August we took my 2 year old daughter and my 7 month old nephew to the character breakfast at the Beach Club. My daughter wouldn't go anywhere near the characters, but my nephew had a ball!

I would take a 3 month old... I think that interaction at any age is good and what a wonderful way to interact. With magical Disney Characters.

Depends on the 6 month old.

One of my kids was a super easy going baby and I would have taken him just for some super cute pics. The other was a super high maintenance baby and I would not have taken her- not because she might have been frightened but only because that is too expensive a meal to let a fretful (actually she was a screamer and unpredictable) baby wreck.

If you can take your DS to restaurants without a problem then go for it.

My son loved character dining at that age! We also did CP and he loved the giant stuffed animals!

DS had his first trip at 6 months and we did 2 character meals. He wasn't afraid at all. We have really great photos of him with Pluto. Now that he is older (3) he loves looking at the pics of him chewing on Pluto's nose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter