Would you stick with POFQ? (vs OKW 2 BD for $135 more per couple)

Kcags

Mouseketeer
My parents and I are booked at the POFQ last week of October. We each have our own room. I am traveling with my husband and 20 month old son. I know free dining is not going to happen at this resort. I really wanted to try the french quarter because of how small and quaint it is. We don't like long treks and resorts with multiple bus stops (I know they sometimes share with Riverside). I have stayed at value before, but don't prefer them. I recently found that for only $135 more per couple, we could get a 2 BD villa at Old Key West (assuming I will get a room only or FD discount). I know this is a bigger resort, which I am not keen on. But having all the extra space will be great for my son to run around. I am stuck. Stick what the smaller place I've always wanted to try, or stay at the more spacious and luxurious resort? What would you do? I've never been to either.

I've never tried either but good luck in your decision.

are there other DVC's you can rent? WL might be a good choice. Not sure the price for some.
I have a friend that goes to OKW every year and has no problem with it and never mentioned bad experiences with the bussing.

I have stayed at both and would choose OKW any day (and I really liked POFQ). The room is huge and you get a washer and dryer which will be amazing with a 20 month old. I would request a room close to the hospitality house. There are 2 bus stops near there. The first and last one. So upon returning from the parks you can get off at the first and board at the last. We also love Olivia's for breakfast lunch or dinner. It's rarely crowded, so it's highly unlikely that you will need a reservation.

If you are going to have a car then head on to OKW and enjoy the full two bedroom villa. If you are relying on Disney Transportation alone, stay at Port Orleans French Quarter. It is completely walkable. It is by far the smallest resort on property. IF you do not like long treks and multiple bus stops then you should not book at OKW unless you have your own car.

At OKW it can be a major hike to get to the pool and is so large they employ an internal bus system.

Wow. Didn't know that. We won't have our own car unfortunately.

I wouldn't switch and I'll give you a couple of reasons. The first reason is that Old Key West is a massive behemoth of a resort with several bus stops. There are also no elevators in almost all of the buildings. Old Key West's 2 bedroom units rival the size of your house, but they also make you feel like you're at HOME and not on vacation because you are so isolated from most of the amenities of the resort. Old Key West has pretty sad quick service food options and you can forget easily refilling your mug or getting a quick cup of coffee in the morning. There isn't much to explore around the resort either, it's set up like an apartment complex and I find the whole place to be rather cliche. In comparison, the french quarter is compact and convienient to everything. You'll spend your time walking along the river, enjoying the quick service food and live music, and there's only one bus stop. Also, the riverside resort's pools and restaurants are also nearby. Check out trip advisor's reviews on the french quarter. Lately every single review is a 5 star review- the resort is gorgeous.

I second what the others have said about size with no car. You'd regret it. The room will be fine with a 20 month old. We've stayed at POFQ with our DD at age 8 mos, 20 mos, and so on....going in 2 months and she's now 7. Loved it. We love the small size of the resort and more personalize ammenities. You'll love it!!!! Oh, and we've stayed at OKW, too.

By the way if you need a washer dryer the laundry room is right off the pool at POFQ.

OKW in a heartbeat and I have stayed at both. I loved POFQ for the reasons you mentioned, but with a 20 month old I would jump at the chance of a Villa. You will have a living room, a dining area/room, a fully equipped kitchen a Master BR with a Jacuzzi tub, a second BR/ full bathroom, a laundry room, and very nice, large patio/balconey and a nice view.
The transportaion is not as bad as some are making it out to be. And there are several pools in convenient locations.
Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter