Would you rent a second stroller at the parks?

hnfrisk

Earning My Ears
Hi -
Thought I might ask for a little advice since me and my husband are disagreeing on this subject.
We are bringing a light stroller for our 8 month old and I thought we should rent a double stroller at the parks for our 3 and 5 year olds for the times they may get tired. If nothing else it would help store the gear!
My husband doesn't think it's necessary so I would like to hear from those who have BTDT. I think he just doesn't want to push but my sister is going with so we will have three people to swithch off pushing.
So do you think it is too much to have two strollers? OR is it definitely something we should do?
Thanks -
Heather

Epcot and AK have ALOT of walking imho. We used a stroller for our 5 yo especially in those parks. I'd see how it goes but be open to the idea. Also remember you can rent a stroller at one park and save your receipt to pick one up at another park.

Another factor to consider is the temps...when it was REALLY hot we ended up with a stroller for our 6 yo, he gets really cranky when it's hot. Pushing a stroller is so much easier than carrying a cranky pre-schooler. Good luck! :)

We used a stroller almost every day for my 5 yo almost 6 yo niece. On the days we didn't have one, she got cranky. I'd rent one.

It's a ton of walking for a 3 and 5 year old. I'd rent the second stroller. My kids rested and napped in the double stroller when they were 4 and 6. The 6 year old walked a fair amount but it was nice to have the extra room for backpack, etc. The doubles are great imo.

Get the stroller......Get the stroller.......Get the stroller!!!!!!:dance3:

we had an umbrella stroller for the 4 yr. old, got a single stroller and stuck the 8 yr. old in there when she started to melt from sun and exhaustion.

They are really easy to push, worth every penny, and a Godsend when the kids need to give thier litle bods a rest!!:thumbsup2

I'm glad to see this thread. We'll be taking our lightweight Combi stroller for the toddler, who will be 18 months old and I have been wondering if we'd wind up renting a park stroller for the 5-year-old. Sounds like the answer is "most likely"! I had figured we would need to at Epcot and AK, the two larger parks. We'll try to wing it at MGM and MK and get one if we need it. Thanks!

We used our own stroller until SS8 was about 5. He would walk most of the time, but at the end of the night, let me tell you, it was soooo much easier to plop him in it, let him fall asleep, and then have us walk through the crazy crowd. I saw so many parents holding their young (5 and under) children through the parks, on their way out, and I just felt so bad for them. That is reason enough for me to have a stroller for 5 and under.

Yes, I would recommend it, both your 3 & 5 year old will climb into the stroller after walking a bit.

I am a big believer in the rental strollers. Some folks think it is ridiculous for a 6 y/o to ride in a stroller. I say go for it. My DD is very petite. On our last trip she was 7 and we did end up getting her a stroller a few days when she couldn't keep up.

WDW is ALOT of walking for adults, think about how many steps a 4 y/o has to take to your one. So for us renting a stroller is a no brainer.

I could not imagine not having a stroller for the 3 and 5 year old. They are really going to need it. When my boys were 3 1/2 we had a double stroller and they spent most of the time in the stroller. I liked it too because it did store alot of stuff. If you go to another park the same day, bring your receipt and they will give you a free stroller at the second park.

The double strollers are great. My kids are 7 and 11. DS7 rides in it a fair amount. Not all of the time, but it is great when he is tired. When it is crowded, it is nice to put him in it an not have to worry about him getting lost in the crowd. My DD11 has been known to hop in once in a while! The strollers also have great pouches to keep purchases, snacks, hats, etc. so you don't have to take them on rides. We don't keep valuable there while we ride just in case, but have never had anything taken from the stroller.

Disney is a LOT of walking for any child and they will tire out from walking all day...I know when I was 8 and my sister was 6 we would walk the parks in the day but then after dinner my mom would go and rent a extra wide wheelchair...(you have to ask for them)...she would then pull out a smaller sized pillow (that she had stored in a locker all day with our dry clothes and water bottles) and stick the pillow between us...they would then push us around all evening to parades and such...and sometime in there we would pass out...my parents would finish the show or whatever they were doing and leisurely make their way out of the parks...no stress cause they didn't have to carry the dead weight of the two of us...If you were to ask my mom she'll still tell you that was the best investment of that trip...

Hi -
Thought I might ask for a little advice since me and my husband are disagreeing on this subject.
We are bringing a light stroller for our 8 month old and I thought we should rent a double stroller at the parks for our 3 and 5 year olds for the times they may get tired. If nothing else it would help store the gear!
My husband doesn't think it's necessary so I would like to hear from those who have BTDT. I think he just doesn't want to push but my sister is going with so we will have three people to swithch off pushing.
So do you think it is too much to have two strollers? OR is it definitely something we should do?
Thanks -
Heather

My kids are 5 & 8 and I rented a double stroller last year and my 8 year old would get on it once in a while just to take a rest. I would recommend you rent one if not they will be cranky. :scared1:

Rent the stroller! :thumbsup2 A tired 5 year old is hard to carry around! Throw in the heat, crowds, crazy stimulus coming at them from all angles, and a huge departure from their normal schedules, and you will be glad to have a comfortable place for them to rest. The first time I took our oldest down without a stroller, I learned by the second day what a great thing a stroller could be! He was in great shape and loved to run around, but it was so nice for him to have a resting place!

I'm going with the majority on this one. We went over Thanksgiving with DD4, DD3, and DS1. We brought a double and thought we could rotate the kids. Worked the first day at MK. Then we ventured to Epcot. A nice man on his way out gave us his single rental. So we had seats for all the kids. It was SO MUCH NICER that we rented a single for the rest of the trip. We could keep track of everyone, no one was lagging behind or running ahead. There were no "She was in the stoller last time!" or "Mommy, can you carry DS1 so I can sit?" But we did hear "I want that stroller."

Stroller!!!

During our last trip in December we only took our lightweight Combi for our 18 month old and I wish we would have had another for our 5 yr. old. It is a lot of walking and it gets hard to carry a 40+ lbs. child in your arms, on your back or shoulders when they get tired. Next time we will be renting a stroller!

Rent the stroller! :cool1:

We took our regular one for our 12 month old and also took an umbrella one for our 4 year old. Our 4 year old was in it more and more by the end of the week. The kids just get so tired from the heat, the walking, staying up later than normal (at least in our case). I didn't expect her to need it as much as she did and I was glad we brought it. With two extra kids though I think I'd just rent one instead of messing with an umbrella stroller.

Rent the double stroller for the other two boys! We went in October with my two grand nephews....one was 8 years old and the other was 2 years old....we rented the stroller (got the week pass so we didn't have to stand on the paying line everyday...what a blessing that was)....when they got tired both of them sat in the stroller, along with if you have meal reservations and need to get to the other end of the park...they sat and we walked at an adults pace instead of having them out of breath and cranky! If you have to park one stroller when going on a ride, it's just as easy to park two of them side by side! Yes, they are good for storing and not having to carry everything also, but be careful of what you leave in the strollers when getting on rides.....even though it is the Wonderful World of Disney, there are people that come into the park that are not so trustworthy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter