Would you recommend Alltel Simple Freedom Prepaid Cell Phones?

My mom has it. If you are roaming you have to double dial! I think it's stupid because if you have the number in your phone book you have to dial, then dial it again...are you supposed to memorize all the numbers? Stupid!

VirginMobileUSA has what appears to be that same phone on offer right now free if you buy $40 worth of minutes. I've used VM phones for several years now and I'm happy with them. Once your initial outlay is done, you can keep the account alive for $60/yr. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/phones/phoneDetail.do?skuId=VM2125

Also, the Alltel plan has "roaming" areas, which most prepaid phones don't have; I'd stick to companies that charge the same amount for all domestic calls. Roaming is evil.

NotUrsula said:
VirginMobileUSA has what appears to be that same phone on offer right now free if you buy $40 worth of minutes. I've used VM phones for several years now and I'm happy with them. Once your initial outlay is done, you can keep the account alive for $60/yr. http://www.virginmobileusa.com/phones/phoneDetail.do?skuId=VM2125

Also, the Alltel plan has "roaming" areas, which most prepaid phones don't have; I'd stick to companies that charge the same amount for all domestic calls. Roaming is evil.

Unfortunately, VirginMobileUSA doesn't service my area. I used their coverage area map and it says place not found. :confused3

Free4Life11 said:
My mom has it. If you are roaming you have to double dial! I think it's stupid because if you have the number in your phone book you have to dial, then dial it again...are you supposed to memorize all the numbers? Stupid!

Does your Mom enjoy her phone? Double Dial wouldn't be too big of a deal to me because I plan on just using it for emergencies. Do you have to put a set amount of minutes on it per month? Thanks.

We have a Alltel prepaid plan for my husband's phone. It costs us 25 cents a month. That is the price to keep the phone activated. otherwise it would be $4 a month plus 25 cents a minute.

The phone is perfect for his needs. It is there for emergencies, not to chat and it works fine in this area. However, we cannot use it in FL which is where we need a cell phone. That is why I got a Virgin phone.

So depending on what you need, this may do fine.

Muushka said:
We have a Alltel prepaid plan for my husband's phone. It costs us 25 cents a month. That is the price to keep the phone activated. otherwise it would be $4 a month plus 25 cents a minute.

The phone is perfect for his needs. It is there for emergencies, not to chat and it works fine in this area. However, we cannot use it in FL which is where we need a cell phone. That is why I got a Virgin phone.

So depending on what you need, this may do fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Since you are somewhat near me (I live in Southwest Virginia), can you tell me how the reception is? And how do you pay the monthly charge to keep it active? Is it automatically deducted or what?

Miss Kelly said:
Thanks for the reply.

Since you are somewhat near me (I live in Southwest Virginia), can you tell me how the reception is? And how do you pay the monthly charge to keep it active? Is it automatically deducted or what?

The reception is fine, but we live in a busy area (Triangle). If we leave this area the signal is spotty. Alltel has a map of covered areas on this plan. I would look closely at it.

In order to avoid the $4 a month fee to keep it activated you just have to make 1 phone call.

We put $20 on the phone last year and technically (if I didn't forget to make that 1 monthly call!) we should still have about $17 left on it. Like I said, he rarely uses that phone.

Muushka said:
The reception is fine, but we live in a busy area (Triangle). If we leave this area the signal is spotty. Alltel has a map of covered areas on this plan. I would look closely at it.

In order to avoid the $4 a month fee to keep it activated you just have to make 1 phone call.

We put $20 on the phone last year and technically (if I didn't forget to make that 1 monthly call!) we should still have about $17 left on it. Like I said, he rarely uses that phone.

Thanks so much for answering my questions! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter