Would you rather do a 7 night cruise or a 4 night cruise/3 days at park?

lattemomof3

DIS Veteran
We have a 4 night cruise booked for Jan. 09, but are considering either booking on our own to add 3 days at WDW after the cruise (doing it this way vs. doing the parks before is better for dh's work schedule), OR turning our 4 night into a 7 night cruise.
We have never done a Disney cruise, and I think we will love it, but our youngest will have just turned 3 and there don't seem to be many excursions that cater to a family with young kids. (DS and DD will be 6 and 9). On the other hand, dd 3 is a handful at times:rolleyes1 so I am wondering if we should hold off on the parks until she is older. We have taken the older 2 to Disneyland, and we plan on returning to DW when youngest is 5 or so. We just thought it would be great to surprise them with a few quick days at the park, or adding 3 more days to the cruise. We have never vacationed for longer than 5 days, does the 7 day go by quickly, it seems long and luxurious!
Does everyone return home from your vacation exhausted, even though you cruised only? TIA!!!:) Does anyone know if one is cheaper than the other? (We would prob. stay in a moderate Disney hotel.)

I would choose the 7-day cruise, no question about it. Splitting a week between the cruise & parks doesn't give you enough time in either place, IMO. I'd rather do a full week on the ship and save WDW for another time.

I agree the 7 day cruise gives you at least two days at sea to set back and really enjoy the ship. Our first was a three day and we did not have time to stop the whole three days.

We do 7 nights at the parks and at least 7 nights on the magic when we do both any more. Prefer to do the parks first so the slower part of vacation is the last. But I have heard other say they like to do it last so they can reajust back into the fast paced life. Then others who like to do a few days before and after. There are lots of options and I am sure you will find the right one for you.

I tend to lean towards a 4-night cruise with 3 nights at WDW, but that's just me. I've also already been on a 3-night, 4-night and 7-night cruise. 3-night is too short, no days at sea. 7-night, IMHO, is too long. 4-nights is just about right for a cruise...for me. I get my 2 ports, and a day at sea, then I'm ready to be on land again. Plus it's tough for me to pass up WDW. If I'm down there, I really like to at least hit Magic Kingdom. It's not a trip to FL without WDW :)

But, having not cruise before, and if you've already been to WDW at least once, you may want to consider the 7-night cruise in order to experience everything :)

We just got off the 7 day western 3 weeks ago. And both of us agreeed that a 3 or 4 day is just not enought time. It would seem as you just got settled in you were packing. And I do not thing our DD (8 years old) would have enough time to do what she wanted. She did not have enough time on the 7 day, she wants to do a 15 day.

Dan, Sandy, and Samantha

7 night cruise... Soooo much different a vacation than a 'theme park' vacation... Tons more relaxing...

I would do the 4 day cruise and the 3 day stop at WDW. The 4 days will go by quick (but so does 7!), but spending a few days in the parks afterward will definitely help easy you guys back into reality! ;) Since you've already had two trips to DL and are planning a future trip to WDW, 3 days will be a nice amount of time to spend in the parks. You also have a very good chance of small crowds and pleasant weather in January.

One advantage I see to the 7 day though is that since it's January, you have a better chance of 'beach weather' since you'll be sailing much further south.

I haven't ever done the cruise before so I speak from total inexperience there...but we are choosing to do WDW because my kids couldn't fathom the idea of going to FL and NOT going to WDW for a few days. It's our first cruise so they aren't sure they'll like it yet (I'm sure they will) so we decided to do a little of both.

We just came back from a Land and Sea trip (4 night cruise). We took my nephew who had never been to WDW. If it hadn't been for that, I totally wish we had done a 7 day cruise instead. I feel like we just got a taste of the cruise and then it was over. I can't wait to rebook so I can start planning our next cruise, which will definately be 7 days!!

For your first cruise, do a 7 day. For us it was more expensive than a 4-day cruise and the parks, but we tend to do the parks without spending much extra. We did go to Magic Kingdom for one day when we got off our cruise. It did make having to leave the boat much less sad.

7 Day - no question about it:thumbsup2 You are so relaxed after being on the ship for 7 days. It really is a true vacation. To try and fit the parks in to 3 days after the cruise will be exhausting.

7 Day - no question about it:thumbsup2 You are so relaxed after being on the ship for 7 days. It really is a true vacation. To try and fit the parks in to 3 days after the cruise will be exhausting.
I think it sort of depends on how you approach the land part of the vacation. I would still do the 4 day cruise with 3 days at WDW, but wouldn't even think of trying to fit all 4 parks into those 3 days...would just leisurely enjoy what I could and save the rest for the next trip.

7-Night. The 3 and 4 night cruises are just way too short. Since we live close to WDW, it's more convenient for us to go there on a separate vacation, than to add it to a cruise.

7 day, no question! Our first Disney cruise we did a four day, mostly to keep costs under control. We had a great time, but it went by so very quickly and we were exhausted when we got off the boat (more so than our usual WDW vacations). We're going back for a seven day in February and can't wait.

Since you know you'll be getting to WDW in the not too far off future, I would leave them as two seperate vacations and then you can enjoy each one to the fullest.

Anoyhrt vote for the 7 night cruise, with the split you wast/lose a day getting from the ship to the park or vice versa

I will have to let you know for sure in a few months. We did the 4 day cruise/3 day park (added one additional day to make it 4 and 4) Land and Sea package last time. We loved the 4 days at the parks, but while still on the ship we decided 4 days on the ship was just not enough, so I booked a seven night cruise for this September. As the date drew near, we all decided (as one of the other responders mentioned) that going to Florida without at least one stop at the Magic Kingdom would not fly. So we fly down two days ahead of the cruise to do Magic Kingdom, including MNSSHP. You will love the cruise with a three year old. There is so much to do on the ship and there are nice beach excursions that a three year old would just love. Either one will be a great vacation.

Thanks for all the responses! I think we may do the 7 night this year, and hopefully do a longer stay at WDW when dd3 is a bit more "travel friendly";) . I think I might be frustrated with doing a quick overall of the theme parks, and trying to choose which would be our must see favorites:eek: , so I think we'd like to stay at WDW when we can savor the moment a bit longer!

We did a four night and it wasn't long enough. I think it's one of those things where you pick one type of vacation and do it right. Otherwise, it's not enough time on the ship...AND not enough time at the parks.

7 day cruise. We 7 year old son has done a week at Disney and a 7 day cruise. Gave him the choice for next May and he didn't hesitate picking the cruise again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter