Would you purchase a DVC from an EBAY auction?

pmaurer74

DIS Veteran
I have seen several auctions over the years that I have been interested in but always was skeptical because EBAY provides no protection on the purchase. Would you ever purchase from EBAY and if so what can you do to protect yourself? Paying with Paypal or a cc is not an option.

I wouldn't, you get what you pay for. If the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

:earsboy: Bill

We bought a contract "sort of" on EBay. We found a killer deal on an OKW contract, but it was sold by a timeshare-specializing real estate agency. We contacted them and the transaction happened outside of EBay, just as smooth and knowledgeable as any other broker we've dealt with.

I would probably stay away from private auctions, though.

There's a recent thread on here of an eBay transaction becoming very fishy. The buyer cancelled the transaction so we'll never know for sure, but I would be wary.

I like the idea of contacting a broker directly.

We bought a contract "sort of" on EBay. We found a killer deal on an OKW contract, but it was sold by a timeshare-specializing real estate agency. We contacted them and the transaction happened outside of EBay, just as smooth and knowledgeable as any other broker we've dealt with.

I would probably stay away from private auctions, though.
How do you know if it is a private sale vs a real estate agency? I know the name of the business is sometimes the auctioned, however I cannot always tell for sure. I thought you could not purchase something listed on EBAY outside of EBAY?

There's a recent thread on here of an eBay transaction becoming very fishy. The buyer cancelled the transaction so we'll never know for sure, but I would be wary.

I like the idea of contacting a broker directly.
I saw that thread which is why I am even more cautious.

I think it depends on whether it's through a realtor or privately from an individual.

I have not purchased DVC via eBay, but I have purchased Wyndham and a lot of people buy timeshares via eBay. All of the realtor ads and auctions I've seen on eBay were quite obvious, but if you have any question, contact the seller and find out. If it is a realtor, you can usually check them out through their state regulatory agency (Department of Business and Professional Regulation for Florida).

A realtor purchase should place your funds in an escrow account, and often you can specify the closing agent. If you can, I would use Magic Vacation Title or one of the other knowledgeable DVC-savvy companies who do DVC transfers every day. They will be much more knowledgeable than someone who doesn't deal with DVC routinely.

I would not purchase on eBay directly from the owner -- not because of a possible scam, but just because I would not expect most owners to be aware of all the details of a DVC transfer and that increases the risks of a mess.

What I would definitely steer clear of on eBay is DVC vacation rentals. Many of those are RCI exchanges into DVC, and renting RCI exchanges is prohibited by both DVC and RCI. If the rental gets detected by either DVC or RCI, there is a risk of the reservation being canceled without notice.

I wouldn't likely 'rent' a DVC reservation through eBay -- but might purchase a contract through eBay if "everything aligned." I've bought and sold non-DVC timeshare contracts through eBay. You take the normal precautions:
  • Sniff test: Does the ad appear complete and worthy? Does the seller have a good and lasting reputation?
  • Is the listing "for sale by owner" or through a reseller? My transactions (buying and selling) were "by owner." For DVC transactions I might favor a reseller due to the ROFR process?
    Bottom line here is that one side has to know the ropes! I was comfortable driving the process in my non-DVC buy/sell transactions but am not sufficiently well-versed in the DVC processes to 'drive.' I would expect (in fact, require) the seller/selling-agent to be experienced in DVC resale transactions.
  • Communication with seller: Do they respond in timely fashion? Are the responses thorough? Did they answer my 'trick' questions correctly? (I'll usually have at least one question that I already KNOW the answer ... used to measure their answers.)
  • Will the seller allow me to choose an escrow service?
  • Will the seller allow me to choose the title agency and title type? (If they force their own selection of escrow/titling -- I might skip this offer.)
Happy hunting!

How do you know if it is a private sale vs a real estate agency? I know the name of the business is sometimes the auctioned, however I cannot always tell for sure. I thought you could not purchase something listed on EBAY outside of EBAY?

It was very obviously a realtor's listing, they had a lot of positive feedback for timeshares, and they had their agency contact information in the listing. I would not have purchased from an individual, as DVC is already murky enough with the various nitpicky rules that they enforce for the contracts!

there's no advantage to buying on ebay. if you find a great deal, that just makes it more likely that DVC will ROFR the contract away from you...so you might as well buy from a broker that knows what they are doing with DVC.

like jim, i did buy my non-DVC timeshare on ebay...but DVC is a different situation...

Last edited:
There was one that closed last night for WL. 150 points for about $50 per point (it was a 3 or 5 day auction, starting at $1). Even if it is on the up and up, Disney will ROFR that in a heartbeat.

there's no advantage to buying on ebay. if you find a great deal, that just makes it more likely that DVC will ROFR the contract away from you...so you might as well buy from a broker that knows what they are doing with DVC.

like jim, i did buy my non-DVC timeshare on ebay...but DVC is a different situation...

I was thinking this very same thing one day while surfing eBay. I thought, the only way I'd even think about it was if I got a fantastic deal. But if I did get such a deal it would really belong to Disney and not me.

There was one that closed last night for WL. 150 points for about $50 per point (it was a 3 or 5 day auction, starting at $1). Even if it is on the up and up, Disney will ROFR that in a heartbeat.
That was the one I wanted and it sold for what it usually sells for.

I was thinking this very same thing one day while surfing eBay. I thought, the only way I'd even think about it was if I got a fantastic deal. But if I did get such a deal it would really belong to Disney and not me.
You never know. Didn't we see an $80/point BLT pass recently, while a $78/point SSR got taken?

Mine was a fully loaded OKW contract at $65/pt and it passed ROFR. I just don't think they're taking much back right now, so if anyone was going to take a gamble on a low-priced eBay sale, now might be the time to do it (assuming all security measures were very strongly in place, of course)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter