Would you move to orlando?

bamamouse

Mouseketeer
We have a chance to relocate to the Orlando area or Nashville and are trying to make the best decision. Moving to Orlando seems like a dream come true but we have read a lot of negative comments from people who live there. :confused:
What would you do? Does anybody live in Orlando who can give me some advice?

My husband's cousins are in Orlando and while they love it, they have struggled with job stability.

My husband and I lived in Nashville for 2 years and LOVED it. We moved away because of his job, but we still talk about moving back.

The two cities are very different (Nashville is more "small-town" even though it's a city).

Both cities you are considering are tourist towns, but Orlando probably receives more. Either way you will have to learn to deal with tourists. My good friend lives in Orlando and hated it the first year she was there. It was where she was living in Orlando. Her and her husband moved to a different part of town and now really love it. They have been there for over 10 years. So I would do some research and see what you think. My parents live in a small mountain town of Alabama and complain about the tourist taking over their little town. It really cracks me up.

Good luck with your decision.

BTW I was born in Orlando, but I haven't lived there in a very long time.

Living in the Orlando area, I guess it would be WHERE in Orlando you'd have to be. Is the job downtown? Orange County? Seminole? Osceola?

I'm one who relocated here for a job (DH's not mine) and I don't like it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Right now the town is hit pretty hard by the recession. Where I live lots of businesses are closing. Sure WDW is here but I really haven't found a lot of 'culture" so to speak. It is ok but I find the area to be pretty generic.

I don't hate it but I also don't love it the way I thought I would.

Nashville and Orlando are pretty different places, so if I were you I would sit and down and see what you are really looking for in a town and go from there.

That being said, I live in Orlando, well techinally Oviedo but really I'm about 10 minutes from Orlando. I would personally never move to Orange County, it is so congested and busy all the time that I couldn't handle it. We live in Seminole County and it much nicer. Very clean, nice people and good schools. The job market is extremely harsh down here right now, there are pretty much no jobs, period. The schools are having major cutbacks (Orange County). As for the good points, being near Disney is one of those things that people always say "wow you're so lucky". I don't go too often anymore for finacial reasons, and there is only a few months out of the year I find it most enjoyable (low crowds, cool weather). Traffic is a HUGE problem, I-4 is crazy busy, but I guess thats suspectible with any busy city. Here in Seminole County we don't have tourists, they usually stay closer to the theme park areas. I moved up here for school and will be moving back to south florida after this semester because we don't like the general area of central Florida. Not to many community type events to attend or a sense of "neighborhood", like where I'm from. But who knows, it might float your boat?!

But like another poster said, it's really where in Orlando you plan on moving. There are some really nice cities further north from Orlando that are really nice.

I have no desire to live in Orlando. I like vacationing there, but it's not a place I'd want to live. There's too much endless sprawl, so many imported people, and I like a place with a hard freeze to kill off some of the nastier bugs.

Nashville also wouldn't be my cup of tea (I'm a northerner through and through), but I'd prefer it over Orlando.

I live in Nashville and have for ten years. I never thought I'd live here but now that I do I love it! It's almost like living in two different cities at once. On one hand it really has a small town feel and mentality. On the other hand it has a big city feel in terms of the arts and business.

Nashville hasn't suffered as much as other larger cities in terms of the faltering economy and industry is moving to the area on an almost monthly basis.

I've never lived in Orlando but from what I've learned from friends that do live there is that outside of tourism the city is struggling. The school systems are troubled and there isn't much growth.

On the other hand...WDW is there...so...well...there ya go...but I'd choose Nashville over O-Town every time.

I'd choose Orlando, just because I'd love to go to Disney often.......but it would probably take away some of the fun of going to Disney.

I live right out of Orlando and would prefer to be in Nashville. We visit family in Nashville and enjoy the change of seasons and the friendliness of the people there. Depending on the economy, we may retire there in a few years.

OH, HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!! here are not enough exclamation points in the world.

#1 - It's warm. That's enough right there.

#2 - Theme parks. I like 'em. People say, "Oh, you'd get tired of them"...but we had a Sea World here and I went all the time and never tired of it. Yes, it is different when it is right there and you're there all the time, but it is still good. I don't think the climate change would make me like theme parks less.

I'd move faster than you could say, "Hello, moving company..."

I have an Aunt and cousin who both live Orlando, and both say they love it. They moved from the outskirts of Pittsburg. I know it's stupid, but one of the biggest reasons; that I don't think I'd ever want to live there, is because I feel like it would ruin part of my Disney vacations. I'd feel like I was wasting money if I stayed on site, and there wouldn't be anymore ME for us or really buses. Part of what I love about our Disney vacations is that from the time I hit the airport until I come back it's all Disney and no real world- I like that.;)

Thanks for all the replies. We go to Nashville every Christmas and we really love it up there. If it weren't for Disney World, we wouldn't even consider Orlando. It's just the thought of being only a few miles from the most magical place on earth.

elvis-presley.jpg

if you pick Nashville I will show you the jungleroom

We go to Nashville every Christmas and we really love it up there.

We've been to Nashville the past 3 years for Christmas. Always go to the Gaylord Opreyland for dinner and to see the decorations. Saw the Rockettes this year...really a good show! :thumbsup2

Can't count the number of times DH and I (sometimes all of our family with us) have spent Christmas Eve at EPCOT in years past. That's so over!

I spent a year or so of my life in Orlando, and although I loved being so close to the World (went every weekend!), there were some negatives:

The public schools in the Orlando area are pretty bad. If you move there and you have school-age children, you'll want to enroll your kids in private school. And, public or private, most Orlando schools require school uniforms.

However, the schools have really professional morning news shows.... some company in the area donated equipment to the public schools.

Also... housing can be a hit or miss. I recommend a gated golf course development. Though most are the winter homes of senior citizens, they're guarded 24/7 by security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter