• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you lie about it being your kid's birthday?

My husband and I do this on our anniversary a lot. We got married Aug. 12. But we both work at a university so we can A) never get away since that's right before Fall semester starts and B) it's hotter than Hades to go to WDW at that time any way and we were miserably hot the one year we did get to go (plus we had to be on the phone and email most of the time taking care of work stuff and didn't feel like we got to really have our vacation. So for the past several years, we just celebrate in October.

I know how you feel my DD turns 5 right after our trip, we were originally planning to go for her birthday, so we were excited & unfortunately plans had to change. And although it won't be her exact Birthday that's what we are celebrating so I plan to pamper her, she understands it's not her birthday but nonetheless we'll get her a bday pin so that she can cherish that moment.

We will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary on our trip in Sept. Our actual anniversary was in May, but this will be our first chance to get there. The fact that we honeymooned at WDW is the main reason we wanted to celebrate there, but life gets in the way of the date sometimes :)

ETA: When I added the celebration to our ADR's and room reservations, I did tell them that our anniv. is in May. I was told that people celebrating later or earlier in the year happens all the time!

I turned 40 at the beginning of May. DD's birthday is in September. We were able to be at WDW on her actual 5th birthday and she loved celebrating there so much she'd been asking to go back for another birthday. I just didn't feel comfortable pulling her out of school for a WDW trip so I planned a trip for the last week of May instead, right after school let out. I told her we would pick one day to celebrate our birthdays. We both wore birthday buttons and got lots of birthday wishes. We had a few people ask if we actually shared a birthday. When that happened, I just explained we were celebrating mine a little late and hers a little early. I didn't feel bad about it at all. We weren't trying to get anything free and didn't get anything beyond birthday greetings and being sung to at LTT (which I could have done without but DD ate it up).

You can celebrate birthdays anytime. Feel free to get your sons the birthday buttons and enjoy it.

Agreed, no need to lie. The CMs often ask if you're celebrating anything that day, but they don't ask if it's anyone's birthday today. You can most definitely celebrate their birthday. (FWIW, we celebrated our twins' birthdays a couple trips back that was 2 weeks after the big day.) And really, how often do you actually have b-day parties on someone's actual birthday anyways? It's usually on a weekend close to the actual day.

Thanks so much for the replies! I feel better now! My birthday is also the week before (though I'd prefer to forget about mine), maybe I'll have to wait and celebrate mine there, too! ;)

Where do you get the birthday buttons? Or do you get them somewhere and bring them with you? I've seen it posted that people do that, but not sure where to get them.

Thanks again!

Not sure if anyone else got this, but when we were there last year, we either mentioned it to the CM when we were checking in or he asked, I forget which. Either way, he busted out the birthday button for my MIL and the first visit buttons for all of us right there at the desk, so ask when you check in!

My daughter's birthday is September 5th and we're planning a surprise trip for her October 2nd-10th. She's going to find out about the trip on her birthday so I plan to celebrate it the entire time we're there.

The entire time you're there? Really? Seems a bit excessive. Especially since you will be there a month after the actual birthday. :rolleyes:

I also think it is really strange when people celebrate a birthday months before or after the date

I agree.

You don't have to lie - Disney doesn't care if you celebrate before or after the actual date.

We have been going ON the actual birthday every year for several years now. From our experiences and what CMs have said, I really think most assume it's not really your actual birthday anyway. Celebrate whenever you want. They just want you to have fun and spend money, right? :dance3: Happy Birthday to your children, btw! :thumbsup2

When I called to book our trip the cast member asked what we would be celebrating while we were there. I said nothing. She said any birthday's or anniversaries near when we were there and I said yes-DS's is a month after and so is our anniversary. She said that she would note them on the reservation. So I agree they just want the guest to have a good time and celebrate when they can.

Oh I'm glad to hear this! We have 4 birthdays near the time we're going (as in within a week or so- 1yo, 5yo, 12yo, and husband), but I didn't mention them b/c I thought they had to be during our trip. My kids will be excited to hear that! What specifically do they do for them? Just the pin? I noticed some mention a free cupcake...is that just at the TS restaurants? We're doing QSDP, so we won't be at any special restaurants. My 5yo will especially be excited!

Big trips like WDW are often done to celebrate an occasion, like milestone birthdays and anniversarys. We went for our 10th anniversary and also for our 20th. For our 10th we went 7 months late and on our 20th we were there on the exact date. Those trips felt no different to me at all. When we go for our 30th, we'll go on a date that works for the whole family - but we'll be going because it's our anniversary year.

I would have no qualms at all about celebrating a birthday a week late. That's close enough to celebrate even if it's not the big reason for the trip.

We recently went to NYC as my 50th birthday present. It was months after my birthday.

That said, I probably would probably be be selective about where I'd wear the button. I get tired of the attention.

Absolutely no need to lie. If you're there because you're celebrating a special occasion, that's what you're there for!

We're going to WDW in late October and my 40th birthday is in early October, but all I want for my birthday is to eat at Cali Grill, so by all means that night will BE my birthday, at least in my mind!

We're not going to the parks, so I won't get a pin, but we got DD a pin when we went in late Jan and her birthday is in early Jan. We told the CM that when we got the pin and they didn't mind a bit!

I understand why some of you think you should only celebrate on the actual date of your birthday. But like I mentioned before, my mom is taking me for my sixteenth birthday, a month and a half late. It is my only present from them and we are not having a party or anything, so it only feels fair to be able to wear a button at the park.

Disney resorts ask you if you're celebrating anything on the booking form and then give you a pin to wear. Our last trip was in Nov. We said we were celebrating our 10 year anniversary. Our anniversary was in July. But it's terribly hot in July and not good to go most places for our anniversary! We didn't tell restaurants or try to get anything extra. Actually, we didn't even wear our pins, though our 6 year old daughter wore one of them. So she got told Happy Anniversary a lot. :) I agree with the posters just to say that you're celebrating their birthdays. No need to lie. No need to not celebrate either!

I firmly believe DS received so much attention because it was his real birthday. There are gobs of people with celebration pins. DS had on a birthday shirt and beamed with every Happy Birthday he received. The CM's shared in his obvious joy. :goodvibes He wore his button and shirt for ONE day. The other days was our turn to give birthday wishes to others. Week long celebration wouldve been a bit over the top and certainly not fair to his sisters.

It is fine to get a celebration button. Due to the numerous people with them, do not expect to receive a lot of attention.

DD birthday is December 21, and I refuse to go to Disney at that time. We decided to go november 25-December 1. We will have her actual birthday dinner on the 28. As she gets older I will have to find ways to make her birthday as special as possible. If this means celebrating her half birthday or a bit before so be it.

Sorry one of the PP feels that its not fair to celebrate a birthday outside of the month/immediate time frame of the actual birthday.

But I'm doing it anyway.

DD's birthday is in May and DS' is in August. We can't go in both May and August so that leaves us celebrating outside the "window" of both. They didn't ask if it was their actual birthday, only if we were celebrating it. There are no lies or subterfuge regarding the celebration. Kudos to those that can get there more than once in a life time and/or on the exact date; understand as well that not everyone is so fortunate. It only diminishes your child's celebration if you allow it to.

Stacy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter