Would you let your 15 and 13 year old...

MarylandMom

Earning My Ears
travel from your resort on a Disney bus and explore a park for a period of time without you? We know families who allow their children to do this and have had positive experiences. It has been quite some time since we've been to Disney, so we haven't been in this position before. We have travelled to other parks together and allowed our teens to go off together knowing they had their phones and scheduled times to check in with us, but we've always been in the park with them. I'd appreciate any insight or advice!

The short answer is yes. But it would depend on where you are staying and will they have money etc?

You know your kids, can they handle it, do they know the parks, will they call or check in when it is time. Do they know not to go with anyone? do they know not to leave the park? Would they be respectful to fellow guest and CM?

With Magic Bands there is so much less to worry about. They have their ticket and the ability to get food and drinks. I let my boys go off together at 13, before MB and I was worried. The next year they had bands and I was fine.

It depends on the kid. For my child, I would probably say yes. I was being dropped off and picked up at our local amusement park with friends by the time I was 13. I went to WDW with school in high school, and we were allowed to venture out on our own.

We didn't do that until oldest one was 19. Looking back, it would been ok years before.

My sister and I went the parks alone on a trip when we were 14 and 16. We loved it! I was a pretty responsible teenager.

If you asked me this 20 years ago I would say yes...today, no way, Jose!
My answer does not stem from the maturity of my daughter, but instead the world we live in today.

Having said that, you know your kids better than anybody, so if you feel they are ready and you feel confident in letting them go, the choice is your mom. :)

Yes indeed. We allowed our kids to go ahead to the park without us at those ages. We coached them on being alert and kind. They went to MK one evening, and DW and I stayed back at the resort and joined them a few hours later. They still talk about how much fun they had.

If your child is mature and responsible and you trust them, I can't see any reason why not. Do they have cell phones? If so, I'd enable the "find" feature for a little extra peace of mind. Disney is under an enormous amount of surveillance. And boarding a bus from your resort to a park is a direct trip, it's not like a city bus where they'd have to ch age buses or be in a sketchy part of an unfamiliar city, they'll be just fine. A quick text saying we're at MK! Or which ever park would be what I'd be asking for.

[QUOTE="kydisneyfans, post: 57329422, member: 97590"]If they have been in and are familiar with the parks, then yes. If it's been years, then no.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to say yes but the unfamiliarity with the transportation system would be a concern. OTOH, if they get on a bus to MK (for instance) there's not much that can go wrong. They'd have to be cool with going through security, etc. I wouldn't do it without a phone for everyone involved.

My family thinks I'm really strict. I would allow it if the 15 yr old was someone I'd trust to be responsible/hang with the 13 yr old.

I think that my job as a parent is to give my kids the tools they need to make it on their own. Part of that involves independence. Scares the crap out of me but they need me to be tougher than they are.

My parents put me in charge of my younger siblings when I was 16. They went to New Orleans for a week for their anniversary. Everything was fine...except I rearranged the living room while they were gone. Mom tried other options but my original concept, 30-ish years later, is what I see when I "go home".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter