Would you let your 13yo stay alone at the resort...

My niece is 13 and I would trust her alone or with my Ds (age4). I would present the rules and make sure to add that if you can trust him in this situation, that will mean more privelges for him in the future,etc. Definitely leave enoguh food, drink, cell phone, room key,etc. . Go over senarios .. What if... someone comes to the door....you hear the fire alarm,etc. the best thing to do if someone comes to the door is nothing- just keep watching the movie. Make sure he knows that the little ones will be fine and that the club will contact YOU if they need anything. Cell phones work two ways- you can check on him every so often!

Yep, we even left our 13 y/o with her 5 y/o brother! (she babysits all of the time.)

And do I dare admit, the we but them both on the bus from AK to our resort (direct bus) so my dh and I could eat at Rainforest Cafe'. They ate at the food court in the Resort and played video games together. It is one of their best memories.

running for cover.....

Don't run for cover! It sounds like they had a great time, and we've decided to go for it. We would leave the other two with him, but they really want to go back to the Neverland Club.

I see you're a homeschool mom, so am I.

Thanks for your comments.:D

Maybe DW and I are bad parents. DS has had off on his own time since he was 11. He earned that time. If you know your kid only you can make the choice.

I agree with Jordans Mom, but that is because our DS is not anywhere ready to be left alone. Maybe when he reaches 13 I would feel different. If you are that concerned about leaving him alone, can you afford in room child care? Although 13 yr olds probably will hate having a baby sitter, if it makes you more comfortable to do it, I would definitely budget it in. In the end, do what you think is right.

I would totally go for it! Sheesh, here in CT you only have to be 10 to be a 'latch key kid' and our kindergarteners walk themselves to school. I can't imagine a 13 year old holed up in a Disney resort would have any problems as long as he's responsible and understands the rules. Like another poster said, I went to DC when I was 13 and I went to WDW when I was 14 with school groups, honestly I don't remember seeing my chaperones during the Disney trip more than once a day. What a blast that was! (Of course, I would probably die now if it were my daughter...LOL)

It's a great opportunity to extend some trust and give him practice wisely exercising his freedom. Our favorite babysitter is 12. If I can trust my 4 yr. old with a 12 year old, a responsible 13 year old can certainly handle video games for a couple of hours. When I was 14 or 15 I went to Disney with my best friend. Her parents were generally over protective, and they let us go on our own all around the MK and CR. I do understand the element of worry, but I agree with the poster who said he's closer to college than to diapers. My mother raised me to be independant so if something should happen to her I'd be better prepared for the world. I'd consider letting him run around the MK or the resort on his own and keeping in touch via cell phones.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem leaving my 13 DS alone in the hotel for a couple fo hours. I would most likely even let him go to the food court and arcade while we were gone. If we were within walkie talkie distance I would leave DD with him (or if I ever get a cell phone with coverage in Orlando). Weh we were at US/IOA I even let him go to City walk to watch Tony Hawk. He made certain he was back in the room before his time was up. He was so set on getting back in time he walked away from a conversation with Tony Hawk himself (long funny story).

I'm 13...so this is just my opinion. When we went to WDW in June, it was my parents anniversary, but they decided to bring me and my little brother ( he's five ) along with them. On some nights they would get us something at the food court ( we stayed at Csr, so the pepper market ) and they would go to down town disney for the night. I'm pretty responsible, so i guess they trusted me with my little brother. I just stayed in the room, with the doors locked, didn't answer the door, etc, etc, etc.. My little brother and I had fun watching tv and stuff and we didn't have any problems.

"NO. I don't think that 13 is old enough to be left alone at the resort but that is IMHO. One suggestion. I know they don't make exceptions to the under 4 rule at the kids clubs but that is because of state regulations. Is it possible that they might would make the exception for a child one year older. It would not hurt to call and ask. " Jordan's mom

^ I'll say I have to disagree......I think 13 is old enough to handle it.

Originally posted by froggy12
I'm pretty responsible, so i guess they trusted me with my little brother. I just stayed in the room, with the doors locked, didn't answer the door, etc, etc, etc.. My little brother and I had fun watching tv and stuff and we didn't have any problems. ...

^ I'll say I have to disagree......I think 13 is old enough to handle it.

You say that you are pretty responsible so that is why they trusted you. Now do you believe that all 13 yr olds are as responsible as you are. If not then by your own admission 13 yr old is not enough to handle it. I do not think all 13 yr olds can handle it yet. Some may. Possibly most. But if a 13 yr old is not responsible, if the parents have not really left the child- and at 13 you are still a child- alone for long periods of time, WDW is not the place to see how they would do.

Thank you all for your opinions. We have decided that our son can handle it and are planning a nice dinner out. We're all very excited about our upcoming trip!:)

Originally posted by mjenni27

You say that you are pretty responsible so that is why they trusted you. Now do you believe that all 13 yr olds are as responsible as you are. If not then by your own admission 13 yr old is not enough to handle it. I do not think all 13 yr olds can handle it yet. Some may. Possibly most. But if a 13 yr old is not responsible, if the parents have not really left the child- and at 13 you are still a child- alone for long periods of time, WDW is not the place to see how they would do.

I may be off base but somewhere in this thread is a statment about knowing your kids.

Agreed eeyore, but he was questioning JordansMom's statement that she felt 13 was too young by saying that 13 was old enough. In his case it may have been, but that does not make it so in every case. I was trying to remind him of that.

What nobody has mentioned is that in the event of an injury, if the parents cannot be reached and it is not life threatening, the doctors cannot treat the injury until an adult with legal authority steps in. Just something to think about.

What nobody has mentioned is that in the event of an injury, if the parents cannot be reached and it is not life threatening, the doctors cannot treat the injury until an adult with legal authority steps in. Just something to think about.

This is no different then leaving you child at home. When DS broke his arm last year. (a severe break) He handled it, he found us. If you cocoon your kids you'll smother them. The rules at home should apply at WDW.

As I said , the key is knowing your child/children.

Originally posted by Eeyore2U

This is no different then leaving you child at home. When DS broke his arm last year. (a severe break) He handled it, he found us. If you cocoon your kids you'll smother them.
Or if, knowing that your child cannot handle it, you decide that it is not best to put your child in that situation you may keep the child from failing later in life from a fear that never needed to be there because you didn't want to be seen as "smothering him".

The rules at home should apply at WDW.
[/QUOTE]My point exactly.

As I said , the key is knowing your child/children.
[/QUOTE]Agreed.

As my mom used to say, "There's a mother's love and smother love." As my father died when I was a yr and a half she deliberately did not use the smother love approach. All I'm saying is there needs to be balance. I'm not afraid of new experiences and treat life as an adventure, but my cousin who was smothered was scared to meet me in Cancun for a weekend because my return flight was earlier than hers. Naturally, I left the kids with dh and took the chick trip alone! If your kid is ready, give him the freedom now before he's on his own.

Enjoy your adults-only dinner at WDW!

We've asked him and he's fine with it. He enjoys being able to stay alone sometimes, I think it gives him a break from his little brothers! He does not want to go to a kid's club even if they would bend the rules and he does not want a sitter. He's becoming the sitter at our house, so he doesn't think he needs one at WDW.

He'll get to enjoy some quiet time with his PS2, and he's just fine with that;)

this is disney world people not the murder capital of the world! i'm sure her son would be safe! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter