Would you keep this ADR? (help a first timer?)

momof3littles

Mouseketeer
Hi folks,
We are planning our first ever Disney trip as a family. I haven't been since I was 4 or 5, and my husband and kids have never been to Disney.

We'll be going in early Feb. during fairly low projected crowd levels (mostly 3s I think).

Right now our first ADR is at 8:25 for the Crystal Palace. I couldn't get any earlier, as we only booked about a week ago. I'd rather have the first reservations of the day.

We are planning two back to back MK days during our first two full days. This would be on our very first day. If I keep the Crystal Palace ADR, I know it will cut into getting into the parks ASAP. How much of a tradeoff would you consider this in February? Would you rather hit the parks running at rope drop, or deal with a slight delay and do Crystal Palace?

I've heard different points of view from various friends in my day to day life. One friend said she'd keep it just to get photos in the morning. Another friend said you really will want to just get in ASAP.

Thoughts for newbie Disney visitors? It has been a bit of a challenge as we've gotten some really nice ADRs, but have had to flex a bit on ideal times, etc. and I'm not sure how many of them I will want to keep. I need to think through things a bit more.

For reference, my kids will be almost 10, 7, and almost 4 when we travel.

Since you are doing 2 MK days back to back in the beginning of the trip, I would keep the CO ADR for the first day and do rope drop on the second day!

Keep it! We have been going in February for the past few years and the parks usually aren't too bad, especially in the morning hours. We usually can glide through most things until about 11am or noon, then the lines build a little. We also LOVE the CP and wouldn't miss it - the characters are great. We have only been for early dinners but have a breakfast booked for our next February trip.
I also read a great tip which I will be trying - since it is a buffet, it is a set price. Others have said to ask for the bill up front so you can pay and get it settled before you meal is over, so you don't have to wait for that in the end. That way you can leave when you are done and ready. You figure that it takes a bit for the people still at the gate to get through the crowds and travel down Main St, you will be more than fine - you are already a bit ahead of them. Enjoy your breakfast and have a great time!

Crystal Palace is an experience itself (in that your kids get to meet characters). And since it sounds like you will have time at WDW (hitting Magic Kingdom 2 days in a row, the first two days), it sounds like you will be able to get to experience a lot - Crystal Palace will just add to the experiences. The only reason I would change it is if you were staying on site and that reservation interfered with Extra Magic Hours for early morning at the Magic Kingdom. If that were the case, I would make the reservation for later, or make it for the second day. And even though the crowd levels are low for February (and you will likely ride all the rides you want), it is a lot of fun to get in early with minimal crowds and ride a bunch of rides in a short amount of time.

It can real suck sitting in the restaurant watching people go by outside heading to the attractions with little to no wait at that time. We've been there, done that, and said we would never do it again on our first day of the trip. A few days later, no problem.

As a first timer ever this might leave me unsettled and I couldn't enjoy my meal or the dining experience. If you are able to change it to another later time in your trip I would.

I would keep it. Feb. is a great time to go, usually the wait times aren't bad at all. Eat a Pooh's Puff for me!!!

Are you dealing with any type of time change, and are your kids morning people? We discovered on our 1st WDW trip with DD, that pre-park opening breakfasts were a bad thing for us. She is not a morning person and getting her there for rope drop is hard enough. We prefer CP at lunch. We can get a lot done in the morning, and then use CP lunch as a sit down break.

If your kids are morning people, I'd say keep it, especially since you are planning more than one MK day. You will miss a little of the prime MK low line time, but now that there is FP+ it isn't quite a crucial because you can book a few fast passes ahead of time. Plus, you are going at a low crowd time so the lines won't be too horrible anyway. It will be really nice to get some shots of an empty main street and the photopass photographers should be out where you can get some shots in front of the castle without a bunch of people in the background, which should be great for your first trip.

Keep the reservation! Our first family trip was in early February 2009. We had an 8:20-8:25am ressie but were allowed in the park at 7:45am. We were able to leisurely walk up Main Street, take 3-4 castle pics and report to CP by 8:05am. We were seated by 8:10am, saw all the characters and ate, and were at the Castle by 8:55am to beat rope drop crowds with two 2.5yos. Nothing better than having the park to yourself! My kids insist on CP and MK for our first day on every trip now. Have fun!!!

I have been in febuary and the lines are really not that bad. I love going to CP before park opening. IT makes for great photo opportunity while the park is fairly empty. They will let you in 15 min. before your reservation time. Crystal palace is magical in the early morning with the sun rays peeking in its glass dome. It is a great way to start your day at MK. Keep it, you won't regret it. WE have been going back on every trip at that same time. have a magical trip!pixiedust:

I had the same exact reservation time at CP in JULY.. during peak crowds, where the crowd level was listed as a 9. We were done with breakfast at 10. Even with level 9 crowds and a late entry to park.. we still managed to do everything we wanted to do that day and more. Next trip I am not scheduling any ADR's before 9. Getting up that early just didn't work for my kids. We have several park days this time around and plan on going at a slower pace... CP was one of our favorite character meals. Food was great, and so were the characters. I say keep it!

Here's what I did last trip. I had breakfast at CP - but I requested the last seating time for breakfast! (I think it was around 10:30 or 10:45.) I treated it more like brunch, rather than a true breakfast. Just ate a quick granola bar first thing in the morning, in the room, to tide me over until brunch.

This way, I still enjoyed a leisurely breakfast/brunch, got to hit the rides right at rope drop, and didn't feel antsy and rushed at breakfast. Since it's your first day of your trip, you'll be anxious to get going, so this solution may work for you, too!

Are you dealing with any type of time change, and are your kids morning people? We discovered on our 1st WDW trip with DD, that pre-park opening breakfasts were a bad thing for us. She is not a morning person and getting her there for rope drop is hard enough. We prefer CP at lunch. We can get a lot done in the morning, and then use CP lunch as a sit down break.

Good questions. We are arriving the day before, and will probably get to POR around 3pm. I am thinking that we'll take the boat to DTD just do dinner there, then explore POR a bit and head in for a somewhat early bedtime. My kids are usually up around 7-7:30 at home. Later in the week I imagine they may be too tired to make early morning times and rope drop, but I'm hoping they'll be okay that first day, before full-on fatigue sets in ;)

No time change. I think we're leaning toward having a rental car as I'm not super excited about relying on buses from POR. I think with a rental car we can also sleep in a bit longer some days, but maybe that's wishful thinking. I still don't have a fantastic understanding of Disney transportation. I'm hoping that for something like Crystal Palace, maybe we'd get up at 7, leave the resort by car at 7:30 or a bit before that, and arrive at CP by 8 for an 8:25 ADR?

Later in the week I scheduled Tusker House, but I made that one a 10:30 am, as I'm sure by then the kids will be getting increasingly tired.

I say keep the reservation. It's fun to start off your day with the characters and eating a good breakfast. :)

I agree that it depends on your kids and how well they get up in the morning. If they are morning people and get up well I think it's a good place to start, as my nephews LOVED it and still talk about it 3 years later. If your kids are hard to get up in the morning, it adds a lot of stress getting up and getting there on time. If you are driving yourself, make sure you leave a lot of time to get to MK as you have to park at the Transportation and Ticket Center and then take the monorail or boat over to MK. I always tried to leave an hour from leaving the hotel to getting into the park for this. Maybe we are just slower, with having smaller kids, but it seemed parking took a lot of time at MK.

I do love CP and recommend it. It's a great place to start your day. :)

Good questions. We are arriving the day before, and will probably get to POR around 3pm. I am thinking that we'll take the boat to DTD just do dinner there, then explore POR a bit and head in for a somewhat early bedtime. My kids are usually up around 7-7:30 at home. Later in the week I imagine they may be too tired to make early morning times and rope drop, but I'm hoping they'll be okay that first day, before full-on fatigue sets in ;)

No time change. I think we're leaning toward having a rental car as I'm not super excited about relying on buses from POR. I think with a rental car we can also sleep in a bit longer some days, but maybe that's wishful thinking. I still don't have a fantastic understanding of Disney transportation. I'm hoping that for something like Crystal Palace, maybe we'd get up at 7, leave the resort by car at 7:30 or a bit before that, and arrive at CP by 8 for an 8:25 ADR?

Later in the week I scheduled Tusker House, but I made that one a 10:30 am, as I'm sure by then the kids will be getting increasingly tired.

Plan a mid-day break every day! A nap keeps everyone going & happy!

I think having a rental car is a great idea. But my suggestion is for you to use it for transportation to get everywhere EXCEPT the Magic Kingdom. I'd use Disney transportation to get there. The reason behind my suggestion is that there isn't any onsite parking for the Magic Kingdom, you have to park at the TTC and then take the monorail or a boat over. Everywhere else there is direct parking at the parks.

I'd also like to second the opinion of the above poster who suggested midday naps. I have three girls (last trip they were 4,7,9) and we went back for naps almost every day. If you want them to see a nighttime show and still hit the parks early, this break for a nap is so important. We always leave the park around 1:00 and go back for a nap when the park is starting to get hot and crowded then we come back after the crowds have thinned a little and the heat is better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter