Would you go on a game show?

I was recently called up to play Deal or No Deal on a cruise. I did it but was super nervous and anxious. Couldn't speak well. ANd that's just a cruise audience watching and not on TV all over the world. I would not want to go on a TV game show. Due to deer in the headlights freeze up (stage fright).

I watch all the reality shows and always dream about doing Big Brother or Survivor or Amazing Race. I know I couldn't now, too old and out of shape. But my girls (age 25) and I always talk about it and joke about how well or poorly we'd all do at what. ANd who'd work well together (on TAR).

Last edited:
Deal or No Deal was always funny to watch. People seemed to hold out for too long assuming their case had some huge value in it. No real skill involved, other than knowing when to cash out. I think viewers lost interest once they figured that out.

Deal or No Deal was always funny to watch. People seemed to hold out for too long assuming their case had some huge value in it. No real skill involved, other than knowing when to cash out. I think viewers lost interest once they figured that out.
On the cruise the top 3 prizes were $350, $400 and $1000. And my case ended up having the $400. I went all the way to 1 case plus mine left. It was the $400 or like $5. They offered my $190 to quit and I took it. Was pretty happy about it. But I had such stage fright. Next time I get chosen I am sending the hubby up instead. LOL.

I would love to play Plinko - it was my favorite growing up as a kid even though it doesn't make that much money.

Supermarket Sweep (the OG) would be the ultimate for me. I had the exact layout of the store memorized and what the best plan of action would be. I always laughed because my mom would do so well with the mini-games (she always knows the product ads, etc) but I would be the runner/muscle. Alas, I was too young! :rotfl:

I would love to play Plinko - it was my favorite growing up as a kid even though it doesn't make that much money.

Supermarket Sweep (the OG) would be the ultimate for me. I had the exact layout of the store memorized and what the best plan of action would be. I always laughed because my mom would do so well with the mini-games (she always knows the product ads, etc) but I would be the runner/muscle. Alas, I was too young! :rotfl:

Plinko is just super-fun to watch. It's not what you want if you want the big money (well, maybe on a prime-time special), but there's a reason it's such a favorite.

A co-worker in 2016 won a European cruise on The Price Is Right. Funny because, SHE worked on camera at the ABC station and her HUSBAND worked behind the scenes at the NBC station. Folks at the local CBS station must have loved seeing her on their channel.
And a Fraternity Brother of mine won kitchen appliances on Let's Make a Deal in 2022. Dishwasher, high end stove and refrigerator. He sold the stove.....it was gas and he has an all electric house......and the refrigerator......it was too big for the refrigerator space in his kitchen. So in the end , he got some cash and a new dishwasher.
As for me being on a game show, no. Not interested in any of the game shows that are left. If Match Game was still on, I'd go on that show.

I’m not interested.

Younger DD loves The Price is Right and attended the tapings of two episodes, but her name wasn’t called to be a contestant.

On one show, however, she was seated a few rows behind the contestants and appeared on TV about half a dozen times.

I would love to go on Wheel of Fortune. I feel like I'm really good at it, but I'm sure the pressure is totally different when you are there in person.

I love Jeopardy and am a pretty smart person, but not nearly smart enough to actually compete on the show.

I agree Brian that Plinko is special. It's nostalgic :)

Oh, man, is it! I actually remember when it debuted. It was such a cool looking game with so much activity. The satisfying sound of the chips sliding down is classic. I remember they used to get stuck a lot or bounce off. They changed the construction a little to help prevent that. I read that one time, some one slid like four chips into the middle slot, but the game had been rigged with fishing line to film a promo and they forgot to take it off. That did not air and they replayed once they realized what was going on.

A co-worker in 2016 won a European cruise on The Price Is Right. Funny because, SHE worked on camera at the ABC station and her HUSBAND worked behind the scenes at the NBC station. Folks at the local CBS station must have loved seeing her on their channel.
And a Fraternity Brother of mine won kitchen appliances on Let's Make a Deal in 2022. Dishwasher, high end stove and refrigerator. He sold the stove.....it was gas and he has an all electric house......and the refrigerator......it was too big for the refrigerator space in his kitchen. So in the end , he got some cash and a new dishwasher.
As for me being on a game show, no. Not interested in any of the game shows that are left. If Match Game was still on, I'd go on that show.

I think a lot of people do this. You have to pay the taxes on the prize values in order to receive them. In some cases, if it's somethign you don't want, you're still getting it for way less than it's worth. You can turn them over easily, even if you undercut it's actual value, and come out ahead. Cars are a no-brainer, even though you do have to have enough to cover the taxes (on some of the high-end cars that could still be steep). You cannot just take the cash value - though if you won cash, then you're already covered! I always wonder about trips, because you have to fly out of LA. If you're not local, do you have to arrange to get back to LA for your trip?

My coworker's mom was just on The Price is Right about 6 months ago. She won a boat, an office set-up, and some smaller items. Everything was shipped to her except the boat, they offered her a cash-out for that which she took.

My coworker's mom was just on The Price is Right about 6 months ago. She won a boat, an office set-up, and some smaller items. Everything was shipped to her except the boat, they offered her a cash-out for that which she took.

I was not aware that a cash-out was ever an option. It's probably the better option with a boat too - a boat is the kind of prize that will cost you money!

I was not aware that a cash-out was ever an option. It's probably the better option with a boat too - a boat is the kind of prize that will cost you money!
Cash wasn't always an option. Sometimes you just got a gift certificate from the sponsor and could get what you want. Sometimes you could cash out. Others, you took the item or forfeited your prize.

Someone mentioned trips. The trip price out of LAX was included on the show so that a definitive value could be placed on the trip for bidding purposes.

Cash wasn't always an option. Sometimes you just got a gift certificate from the sponsor and could get what you want. Sometimes you could cash out. Others, you took the item or forfeited your prize.

I agree. I noticed on Wheel of Fortune recently where they showed someone winning a car a few years ago. The car on display was not the same one the person eventually ended up with. I assume in that example you got a certain amount of money to be used toward the purchase of a certain brand of vehicle having the options/features/color you preferred.

In the case of an expensive item like a car, the car company is doing this to advertise their products. Giving someone the cash equivalent wouldn't be of any benefit to the car company so my guess is that option isn't offered. For some items of lesser value, I could see the cash equivalent being offered.

Saw some other articles where you still have to pay tax on your winnings which could be significant if one of the largest prizes.

Does a Food network challenge count as a game show? If so, I have been the assistant on one. It did air on the food network years ago.

dh and i have always joked that if 'doorknock dinners' chose our house the chef would be thrilled with variety of items we routinely have on hand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter