Would you go "low end" Grand Californian or "premium" DLH?

AndrewC

DIS Veteran
Would you guys go for a standard room (cheapest) at Grand Californian for three week days in October, or would you go for "Premium Downtown Disney" view at the DLH during the same time? It's about a $25 difference with the Grand being slightly more expensive, lol

I've stayed at the DLH before and had a downtown Disney view and it was... nice, but not amazing. I haven't stayed at the Grand before but I can't seem to see any benefit other than getting into the park directly from the hotel and maybe 5 minutes less walk. I'm probably only going to be doing two days where I start at DCA first... I will say one of the days I'll be ending my night with a Halloween party... can you walk right into the Grand after the party, or do they shuffle everyone out the main gates that late at night?

Are the only Downtown Disney view rooms at the DLH in the Adventure Tower, or do either of the other towers have some rooms that are considered Downtown Disney view?

We always book standard at GCH. I honestly think those are the best location rooms at the resort.

I'd pick Grand.
What do you mean by best location? I've never been in the Grand to the point of seeing/understanding the layout of which areas had which type of rooms...

I'd pick Grand no matter the case as long as money is not an object. Just love the ambiance and architecture.

The convenience in regards to DCA is great, especially when returning to the hotel from there. OTOH, it's just a few more minutes of walking to dlh and rooms have been recently refurbished so you can't go wrong with either of them.

Another vote for Grand. Can't beat that "inside" entrance to DCA. It's a beautiful hotel and a beautiful walk into the Park from that entrance. Plus, if it hasn't changed, rope drop from GCH is at Ariel. Great way to nab some Pixar Pier attractions first thing.

Grand. In years past, we walked right out of DCA after the Halloween party and into the Grand. No reason to think it would be different this year but maybe someone can confirm. We have stayed at both the GCH many times and the DLH. The view really doesn't matter because we are in the parks all day. The view is not helpful at 11pm!!! And the extra walking distance to the DLH doesn't seem long on a map, but at midnight, it feels like 100 miles to my feet. The pools MAY be better at DLH for younger kids, but for my now-teens, the pools are fine at either place since they aren't going on the little slides anyway (the pools was the reason we stayed at the DLH a few times when they were younger, that and a lower price!). I love the ambience and style of the Grand, so it is now always my choice.

We prefer GCH now as we’ve gotten to know several of the CM’s that work there and look forward to their outstanding service. The nooks and crannies of the grounds, lobbies and restaurants are special to us as well. We’ve rolled right over to our room after Oogie Boogie…ahhhhh…so easy and poof a good nights sleep!

Honestly, can go wrong with either! Have fun,

If you haven't yet stayed at the Grand, I'd pick Grand just so you can experience it and see what you like better. I think DLH pool is better for little kids and the theming in the room is better. I like the Grand because it's a closer walk (makes a big difference after a long day in the parks).

What do you mean by best location? I've never been in the Grand to the point of seeing/understanding the layout of which areas had which type of rooms...

I like being off the lobby and those are all standard rooms. Our room in July was only about 30 steps from the elevator, just over the port cochere. It's quiet, there's a little water feature you can hear when you are on the balcony and it doesn't require a long walk once you enter the hotel.

View usually doesn't even figure in my choice at DLR. There are few rooms that have a view that's good enough to pay extra to get, plus how often do you sit in your room there and look out the window? It's nice from almost anywhere, DLH or GCH, except for those rooms at DLH that overlook the employee parking lot.

Grand has the best location. It has by far the best place to hang out in the lobby, with everything you might want right there either off the lobby or via a covered walkway. DLH currently has almost nothing but Trader Sam's/Tangaroa, both of which require you to be outdoors to get there and often to eat there. Many more food/drink options at the Grand, currently, since DLH keeps eliminating options in that regard. You can sit by the fireplace, people watch in the lobby, sit outside next to the outdoor fireplace (directly behind the indoor one), visit the outdoor or indoor bar, grab to-go food, and on and on. For $75 difference? Stay at the Grand.

Grand, especially with risk of construction noise at DLH in the forecast. It's not bad now and may not be an issue in October, but there is no way to know for sure. Eventually...it will have to be loud to build a new tower. This only applies if you take midday breaks or pool time. Not a concern mornings or evenings. :thumbsup2

Wow, everyone is saying Grand! I was on the phone adjusting a reservation when I posted this so I just made adjustments to the DLH reservation... but maybe I'll go back and switch to the Grand. I mainly was thinking Premium DTD View because I figured that would get me Adventure Tower and a high floor AND opposite the pool, all things that should result in a fairly quiet stay (minus the construction, but I likely won't be back at the hotel until about 10pm or later and probably will be at least up and getting ready by 8 to 9am depending how late my previous night was).

I really really really wish they would extend the promo that ends on Oct 2nd right now. I've already "budgeted" the money in my mind right now, so if the promo was extended it's almost guaranteed that instead of me "saving" I would just upgrade room types or switch over to the Grand for stuff, lol.

I'll be the outlier and say DLH. I stayed at Grand a couple of weeks ago and will be staying at DLH this weekend. DLH has better and larger rooms and a better pool. Grand has the lobby (which you can walk through and look at regardless of if you are staying there) and a better location. If Steakhouse 55 was open, I'd give the restaurant edge to DLH. I spend more time at Trader Sams than any of the restaurants in the Grand.

I booked GC standard for December trip. While I like DLH very much, I more often grab park view at PP. I love looking at those Carsland mountains all night. But this trip I have friends at VGC so I booked GC standard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter