Would you go? Dh announced he doesn't want to go again.....

I always go with my mom. My H always chooses to stay home. Since my mom buys the trips, we go when she wants. Otherwise, I think I would go at least once sans H.

I would go. My DH has had to work many times that I have taken Disney vacations and while I missed him I still had a great time. I will admit that the last time was just before Christmas and that time I vowed not to go without him again. He loves Christmas and there was not one minute that I did not think of how much he would love to be with us.

Even with that said I would take the kids and enjoy your vacation with your Mom.

I've taken my kids without my husband since they were 4 and 6, and we had a blast! Less adults to have input on what to do when.

My mom met me once at the Swan, and she stayed in our room for a couple of nights; that was fun too!

I went a few years back with a girlfriend and her kids, no husbands, and we also had a blast.

My husband probably comes half the time, like next month I'm going for 10 nights then he's coming the last 5 (long trip, two Marriott timeshares).

You mention your husband has vacationed without you before; did he have concerns about doing this? You should go and have fun! Your kids will only be this young once. Although, we pulled our kids out of school for a family celebration last winter, and at 7th and 9th grade, missing 4 days was horrible, so we wouldn't do that again. I'd go when they're off school from now on. It was too much work to make up (more for the 7th grader honestly).

Go and enjoy your time! It is ok to have different interests and experiences, but try to make quality family time when you are all together also.

My DH has been to WDW once with a work retreat, and to another convention in Disneyland, and that got him interested in taking the fam to WDW (before that he said he'd never do Disney). I haven't been in 20 years since I was a kid and our boys will love it. He will choose more stay-cations next year since it is an expensive trip, but told me we can go again in a few years when our youngest, now 3, is a bit older and can remember it. :yay:

Yup, I'd go.

It's perfectly fine and normal to vacation without your spouse once in a while. He will be happily home getting things done and relaxing without the girls. You will be at Disney.

At the end of the week, you'll both be energized and happy to see each other.

At least that's how vacations work in my family. We travel together, we travel separately. We travel with kids and without them.

When we lived close to Disney I would go without DH all the time. I took the kids and we had a blast. The first few trips he was all, oh, that's lame, it's for kids, I don't want to go. Then, he saw how much fun he was missing out on and then started to ask to come along with us. Great! Now that we moved, it's to the point where he tells me for months how much he doesn't want to go to Disney ever again... but then when we're there he loves it. Go figure...

I would go. And I wouldn't pine about how much you're missing him, when you talk to him tell him how much awesome fun you're having. Maybe he'll realize what he's missing!!

Yup, I'd go.

It's perfectly fine and normal to vacation without your spouse once in a while. He will be happily home getting things done and relaxing without the girls. You will be at Disney.

At the end of the week, you'll both be energized and happy to see each other.

At least that's how vacations work in my family. We travel together, we travel separately. We travel with kids and without them.

this is prolly the most sensible answer on here. My DH and I sometimes travel without one another. Frankly, I don't love his mother but I encourage him to visit her without me now and then. i think it's good for them to have 'private' time without other family members detracting from it. We DO vacation with her a week every year so it's not like i never go.

I have taken children without him to disney and traveled other places wihtout him. Yes, I enjoy it more WITH him but what fun is it if he dreads the trip and/or is miserable.

I also see a PP's hubby's pov, too...for us, vacation is sometimes getting away from everything just to relax. That is just as good (sometimes better) than a commando, let's see it all vacation.

Absolutely yes, I'd go. In fact, earlier this month DD16 and I went just the 2 of us. We actually went for her birthday and it was one of the best trips we've had. :)

I've taken my kids without my husband since they were 4 and 6, and we had a blast! Less adults to have input on what to do when.

This, exactly! Hubby only comes on every other trip now. I'd prefer if he came on every 4th trip, LOL! We (lovingly?) call him the dementor. Yes, he tried to suck all the happiness out of our last trip.

DD18 and I are driving down in 11 days for a 'road trip before college' getaway. So excited!

My suggestion would be to discuss it with him one more time. Your daughters are near the same age as mine. When you go on a trip like this, you are building memories with them that they will have for the rest of their lives. That is why I go, so that I can be part of those memories. Not because I want to spend my time in the heat, the crowds, and buy everything at overpriced rates. I go because my girls are growing up way too fast for me, and I want to spend every minute that I can with them before they get to an age that they are not so interested in spending time with old dad. Make sure that your husband knows that he will be missing a great chance to build valuable memories that he can not get back. If he is still willing to miss out on this opportunity, then absolutely go without him.

bear_mom said:
Thanks for all the replies, I know we would have an awesome time if we go and it wouldn't be hard to manage. It just seems odd to go there without dh.....

Emily

Why? He doesn't find it odd to not go? It's ok to go on vacation without your spouse. If you wanted to make a family trip reschedule it for 2014. Maybe he will want to go then, vs back to back Disney trips. No way could my DH go to Disney every year but he doesn't mind going every other.

Absolutely! What a great experience for your kids- to see their grandparents enjoy Disney for the first time!!

You will be creating great memories between grandparents and your kids.

I would go without him. Mymom and I went just the two of us 2 years ago and had a great time. This year my husband and father and our 1 year old will be joining us, but I'm sure there will be more trips in the future where my husband won't go. He's not as enthusiastic as I am about Disney

Thanks for all the replies, I know we would have an awesome time if we go and it wouldn't be hard to manage. It just seems odd to go there without dh.....

Emily

You answered your own question. :goodvibes. You can go without him, but you would miss his presence. Talk to him again and find out what exactly he dislikes about going to Disney. Have you done a family camping/hiking trip? We've done WDW and Niagara Falls/Adirondacks. Both were magical!

I go to Disney without my DH (and my 2 oldest kids) People think I'm awful :scared1:

DH would like to go, but he stays home with our DS16 who is on the high school soccer team and we go during Fall Break which is right during sectionals/regionals. It's the only time we can go because we meet my brother's family who are there for a conference so the dates are set.

I go every other year, me with my mom and brothers family and our 2 youngest kids, DH then goes on a fishing trip or something with his dad and brother. We make sure the teens get to do something with us or friends (DS16 did Spring Break with friends and a mission trip this year, but DS19 opted for college fund money instead) On the other years, we take a big 2 week family vacation all 6 of us.

Last year just DD and I went....we had an AWESOME time!! DH is going this trip....but I'm guessing next trip he won't!! It's fine by me!!!

I'd definitely go. For me to get my Disney fix (he's not a Disney addict), I know I'm going to have to go without him some years. This year just ODS and I went. DH (and thus YDD) would have come along but honestly, it's so much more $$ with him and we wouldn't have been able to do it for 4 of us. So I got a little DIsney fix before our next big family trip next year. I'm thinking family trip every other year, and on the alternating years I'll go myself with just 1 of the kids (or heck, myself).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter