Would you give up 5 days at Disney for 3 day cruise?

Chelley00

DIS Veteran
We are planning a WDW trip for Oct 2012. We are going on an extended family trip and will have 4-5 days with family. We usually go down earlier than everyone else so we can do the parks "our way" before everyone gets there and we have to slow down. :rolleyes1

We are considering taking the 3 day Bahamas cruise this time before everyone else arrives instead of going to the parks. The price of the cruise equals what we would pay for 5 park days. The timing of the cruises and the dates our family arrives makes it so only the 3 day cruise is possible. Would you do it?

For some background, it would just be DH, me and our 2 littlest ones (10 and 7 for the cruise) We've only cruised 9 night RCL cruises with them, so I'm worried the 3 day cruise would be terribly short. However, we've never been on a Disney cruise and we've never been to Nassau. We've been to Disney quite a few times in the past few years, and we would still have enough days left to visit each park before we leave.

We are really split on the decision :)

Our first cruise was for 4 days and it seemed to go so quickly! But since you've visited the parks before and you'd be using it as family time before everyone arrives I think it sounds like a great idea!

I agree, I would do the 3 day cruise with just your family! :goodvibes

We did our first 3 days cruise last Sept. We have been to Disney many times, this was great because it was something new. I am going back for a 4 day this October, the kids really wanted to go back and see the Dream :)

I say go for it! And, if you can, keep it a surprise until you get there:woohoo:

You do realize you're asking this question on the cruise board right? :lmao:

I also vote cruise, it's much more relaxing. However, if you ask the same question on the parks board, you may get the opposite answer :goodvibes

As usual, I'll be contrary. I don't think a 3 night cruise is long enough to make it worthwhile. A 3 night cruise is really only 2 1/2 days. You are no sooner on the ship than it is time to get off. Don't get me wrong--I love the cruise. However, the choice between 5 days at the parks vs. 2 1/2 days on the ship...I'd take 5 days at the parks in that situation.

Cruise over WDW. Yes! I would take a four day cruise over the three day. You will get hooked.

14 cruises for our family, and still going!

I would do the cruise. I think the 3 night cruise is a perfect introduction to DCL. It is very short. Since you have already done the parks before and will do the parks after you are done, why not? My 9 year old would rather do the cruise instead of the parks. I say book it before the price increases. :goodvibes

I think, for the price, that i'd do WDW. You'd only be getting 2-1/2 cruise days (depending on when you are able to board). I think it would be more relaxing to have the 5 days. Just because you've done the parks before, doesn't mean you HAVE to go ride the rides. There is so much to do at WDW, you could spend that 5 days enjoying activities outside of the parks and still have a fun, relaxing time with just your family.

If I'm understanding your situation correctly, you will be at WDW for 4-5 days anyway, right??

Ok...if it were a matter or ONLY WDW for 5 days OR a 3 night DCL cruise, I'd take WDW in a heartbeat!!

But since you'll be going to WDW for 4-5 days anyway, I'd take the 3 night DCL cruise before the WDW portion.

In your position, I would take the cruise. Simply because that is the thing I haven't done before. You have been to the parks, you are certainly going to go back there again, so go take the three days doing something different. Then you can cross DCL off that "to-do list".

Warning though...the 3 day criuse would hardly give you time to get settled before you're packing up to go home. very little time to enjoy the ship and all it has to offer

If it were just me and my sister and we both had done a DCL cruise before - NO. We enjoy the parks better and never have enough time to eat and do all the rides.

BUT...if it were with extended family (or not) and you never took a DCL cruise - then most definitely YES.

BUt...if you want some great pictures of your children (or just yourselves) with the characters this is defintely a better way to do it (at least for some of the characters) - YES

BUT...if you want to enjoy a nice day at the beach (depending on your itinerary, you can sometimes enjoy 2) - Castaway Cay was wonderful! - YES

We did this in 2006 when we went back for my "sisters" 10th wedding anniversary (she got married at WDW). There are 5 of us "sisters" from college. So we decided to combine the trip to WDW with a 4 night cruise. The most fun we had ~ there were 14 of us on that trip. We did the Magical Experiences for groups of 8 or more and then the Annv couple and best friends booked one of the Disney suites! It was a trip to remember.

We try to do WDW every December but did not make it last year. Also big fans of DCL. This year we decided to cut our WDW trip short and do 4 nights on the Dream and 4 at WDW. We want to see the new ship. While the cruise will be short for you, you get the best of both Worlds. For the folks that point out it is really 2.5 days to me being on the ship is more Disney time that at WDW because you can go 24/7 with the experince including the movie and room service that is include.
Of course it is all what your personal preference is. Have a great vacation.

I agree that a 3 day gives little time to enjoy the experience. You're not sailing until afternoon of day 1 then are getting off the ship early the morning of day 3. Very little time to enjoy the ship and relax. I'd take the 5 days in the parks and save up for a 5 or 7 day cruise :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter