• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you get EBCI if you were me?

Yes I would buy the EBCI for peace of mind and for the ability to control where I sit. My kids have had ear issues, pretty severe, obviously nothing as severe as epilepsy. But I always looked at it is my responsibility to make sure we set together. Before EBCI I was on the computer at T24, now I just get the EBCI. I dont need to worry about it and it is great for the way home not having to worry about being near a computer.

I HAVE to be near my son if he has a seizure. I also need DH near me so he can help if we need to give him rescue meds. We don't need assistance boarding, just assurance we are all sitting together. I am not abusing the system and resent you insinuating that. I would gladly trade my epileptic sons health. Give the kid and us a break. Havbg a kid with epilepsy is not fun.
Just pay for the Early Bird Check In, then.

And bluntly, if your son's epilepsy is so fragile that despite medication he might still have a seizure on the plane and need two adults to medicate him, you need to discuss that with his neurologist. This isn't a random comment; I've had my anti-seizure medication and dosage changed a few times.

people who *lack compassion* ...

karma is a two way street

my2cents

I would pay for the EBCI. You stated the 3 of you NEED to be together. There you go. That's what it's there for. Honestly, there have been flights where for whatever reason, I have purchased EBCI, and the fight attendants make the request to have someone move. Quite frankly, I paid my extra money to secure the seat I wanted. If sitting together is a priority (and it sounds like it is to you), pay the extra money.

I don't believe that using the blue sleeve would be a valid use of it.

I am always surprised that so many people take postings on public boards from people you don't know so personally. Just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean their post is not "nice" or they lack compassion. I think most of us understand having a child with any kind of disability is a challenge. Additionally, you have no idea of other poster's personal situations/problems unless they chose to share.

Someone will always try to work the system to their advantage, so be it. It's just my opinion that many medical problems don't warrant airline pre-boarding. I don't fly WN, I always fly an airline with assigned seating, so I have no personal stake in whether or not the OP or anyone else wants to jump the boarding order for an invalid reason. :duck:

But Early Bird for 1 of the adults and have that adult save the other 2 seats for the rest.

Larry

We usually have bought EBCI for Southwest for our flight home only- we've always been just a party of 2 adults so seating wasn't super important.

But next month we are flying with a child for the first time- our 19 month old daughter. We bought a seat for dd and it's a 2 hour non stop flight.

I was planning on getting EBCI to try to get on the plane as early as possible and sit up as close to the front as possible.
But now I'm second guessing it - I'd hate to spend $30 and end up being like A50 51 52 when we could just board after the A's and before the B's for free.

Would you get EBCI if you were in my shoes? :confused3

I have flown SW quite often with children of all ages. I have yet to purchase EBCI and have yet to be split up from my children. Once, my DH and one child sat together and myself and another child sat a few rows up but that was no big deal at all. Depending on the time of year, they *sometimes* suspend family boarding and a few times we have been on flights where they decreased the age to 2 and under. Especially to Orlando when it looks like a majority of the plane would family board anyway.

So, the OP, I'd say to hold on to the extra $30/$60 both ways.

However, to the poster with the Epileptic son, I would say most definitely pay for the EBCI as it seems critical for all 4 of you to sit together. People sit in the seats they do for all types of reasons. Some people have claustrophobia and can only sit in the aisle or need to be close to the front. Some adults have severe anxiety and need to sit next to their travelling companion. To Orlando, there are MANY families on teh plane. I like to think my needs are no greater than anyone else's needs. I can only control what I do and not someone else. So, if it is imperative that I sit next to 3 other people, I am going to pay the extra money.

One more thing. I am new to Disney and southwest. I am not sure how ECBi works. I am now seeing we should probably purchase it to guarantee we sit near one another. However, it is disconcerting to me how people on these boards make assumptions. I would gladly give up my seat for someone to help a family in need. Would you? I am not trying to milk the system. Just trying to make sure my son is cared for. Thanks for the explanations.
As you have already seen, using medical preboard to be able to sit together isn't what it is there for. It is for those who need more time to board and get settled. So, that doesn't apply in your case.
If you have to sit together (and most families want this), then either be at your computer right at the 24 hr window, or pay for EBCI. You shouldn't have any issue getting three seats together, even though it may very well be further back in the plane. One adult will most likely be able to find a seat across the aisle or behind or in front of the rest of the group. I have only seen those boarding in the C group have issues finding seats together.

I love the SW boarding proceedure. I have never had any issue with it. BUT..it can be a problem for those who have to sit together. In these cases, it may be best to just book another airline..even though preselected seats can be changed as well, with little notice.

You are going to ORLANDO! Think about it folks. Who do you think is going to be on the plane? Lots of single people off to gamble.. Nope that's Vegas...

The plane will probably have LOTS of families. All of whom have a "reason" that they need to sit with thier family member. If you HAVE to do it then you need to either (A) pay or (B) be online at 24 hours in advance and check in. (And if you are in group A and B you are generally ok, it's the "we got C59 and C60 and now think the entire plane should rearrange for us" that's an issue :) )

I have flown on Delta planes in an out of MCO where they had SO many families they flat out said "no early boarding for families as that's the entire plane" LOL! That's the risk in Orlando. There may not be as many people who CAN move for the sob story 'du jour'

Even Lisa up there saying "I have been on planes" didn't say "I have given up my seat for these families" And why? Probably because she was WITH her family too. The assumption that "people are rude" may not be true.

IMHO if "WE MUST SIT TOGETHER" is an overriding concern then it should be considered when buying tickets. Don't buy tickets on airlines that don't do assigned seating. Don't buy tickets on airlines that do assigned seating and then decide "we won't pay the seat fee" etc.... And once you have bought and paid for those seats WATCH them every few days and make sure the airline didn't change your plane etc....Consider this a cost of your trip just like the tickets to the park.

I would call Southwest and ask them what their policy is on pre-boarding for a child with epilepsy. Epilepsy is a disability that is allowed accommodations on flights. Your child's rights are protected by law. If a child with epilepsy requires special seating you can request it from the airline 24 hours prior to the flight.

I have found that SW has great agents & customer service. I would bet that you will not have a problem if you explain the situation....they will find a solution. However, while I probably wouldn't pay for EBCI, I would definately check in at 24 hour window.
We have been A or B boarding without trouble finding 3 seats together. We have 10 years between children & have been allowed to board as family of 4 on flights without problem (knock wood!) We actually PREFER SW open boarding....for our last JB flights, assigned seating was not available at purchase & DH didn't have seat assigned causing a LOT of stress until straightened out at checkin. DS said he would rather drive 2+ hours for SW than 10 min for JB due to seating in future. Ugh

I would call Southwest and ask them what their policy is on pre-boarding for a child with epilepsy. Epilepsy is a disability that is allowed accommodations on flights. Your child's rights are protected by law. If a child with epilepsy requires special seating you can request it from the airline 24 hours prior to the flight.

We are going in late FEB 2013 to Disney -- first trip for all of us! We have a 4 year old and a 6 year old. Should we purchase EBCI? It is important that we all sit together. I know DD and I can board during the family boarding since she is 4 but if will DH and DS have to board seperate? DS has a medical condition and it is important to us that we are all together. Not sure what to do. I am hoping DD is whiny and people won't sit anywhere near us so DH and DS can!

thanks for any advice.

Posters have reported being on flights with no family mid-boarding. The GA decided not to offer it on that flight.

A poster recently went to the trouble and posted a link. Southwest has permission to only offer medical pre-boarding to those passengers who not only need more time to board but who also have specific seat requirements. A person with a service animal is entitled to a bulkhead seat. A person with a leg in a cast might require an aisle seat. People who merely need extra time to board can be given a white sleeve and will board after the passenger with A BPs, but before family mid-boarding.

The seat configuration of southwest is 3 X 3. Easiest thing is to head to the back of the plane. One parent sit next to one child and the other parent sit next to the other child. Go to the back you should be able to get aisle/middle seats in the same row. There have been relatively few posters reporting no family mid-boarding. I'd probably save the few dollars. Get a BP at T-24 and you should get an A or mid B. Probably high enough to at least get a parent and a child together.

So in other words.... rather then just spend the money we are advocating the use of "whiney" kids and "any medical disablity" Just to save a few dollars? What's next "inflatable temporary casts" LOL!

I have friends with diabetes, do you think that counts too? They only have four or five kids every trip. So they can probably board a group of 10 or so with thier kids. (REALLY? LOL!)

I believe in Karma. Abuse of a system to get stuff will some day "bite" you. So someday you will "need" medical assistance because one of those kids broke a leg or something and the airlines will have decided "it's not really working" and abandoned it. (They are NOT required to let you board early. They are required to provide you resonable assistance, but that does not mean "early boarding" )

You know, that reminds of something that was highly amusing to DH and I the last time we flew from MKE to TPA (in July of this year).

There was a woman with an inflateable-looking type cast on her leg in a wheelchair, with her teenage son and DH. They were allowed to pre-board the SW flight.

Well, lo and behold, this woman and her family were on the same cruise as us, and her cast and wheelchair were nowhere to be found the entire five days ~ until the return flight, that is. ;)

She sure was avoiding us at the gate, though, since she recognized us. :rotfl:

Don't buy tickets on airlines that don't do assigned seating. Don't buy tickets on airlines that do assigned seating and then decide "we won't pay the seat fee" etc.... And once you have bought and paid for those seats WATCH them every few days and make sure the airline didn't change your plane etc....Consider this a cost of your trip just like the tickets to the park.

And avoid using miles to book popular flights without assigned seating for you like the flight DS and I were on in July. It was especially bad b/c "weather" had canceled and delayed flights all across the country that day (at least on our airline), and we were the last of the last to get seats. At the gate I finally got seats, and we were half a plane away from each other. I finagled sweetly once we were on board, and got us one row apart.

Of course, he LOVED it, LOL.

But my point is...even on flights with assigned seating, sometimes you can end up somewhere other than with your flight companions, and absolutely NOTHING can be done about it.

First, those who feel the responders are not compassionate, need to understand where they are. The Transportation board is straight up information. There generally isn't any fluff on here, so the answers tend to be curt in nature.

In addition, many of these questions have been asked previously. While it is great the OP asked the question, the answer to most all of these questions can be found in other established threads. However, the controversies are stemming from others who tacked onto the initial intent of the thread (should a family with a toddler get Early Bird Check-in). Starting a new thread titled (WN Pre-Boarding with Medical Issues) would have been better for others needing the same information.

Third, many of the posters who responded are well traveled frequent flyers. They have seen how people game the system, heard many of the same arguments multiple times before, and witnessed the results. Some may be very crass to simply make a statement. If it is off-putting or embarrassing, just ask yourself if you would rather be challenged here or at the gate with people giving you the "evil eye" ;)? These people know the rules, have lots of experience, and should be considered great resources. It isn't personal, and if they didn't want to help, they would not respond and simply let you walk into the pit uninformed.

My dd has slight Asperger's and a food allergy that requires an epipen if she were to eat the source, and Southwest gives me the blue preboarding sleeve so that she can sit next to me should any incident occur on the plane.
I have mild to mid Aspergers (per the psychologist :rolleyes:), and I do not think this is a valid reason for pre-boarding as a medical condition. Maybe the allergies, but I doubt your family would board or sit separately, anyway.

As for sitting together in general, BE GRATEFUL YOU ARE FLYING SouthWest!!!!!! If you were on a legacy airline, you would pick your assigned seats, but they could be fluffed around in a nano-second! The only option would be to purchase Economy Plus to ensure sitting together (this assurance is based on other factors, though). Plane changes, schedule shifts, and other factors cause airlines to change seats. Much whining, crying, and gnashing of teeth occurs due to this. as an example, my DL flight for Nov has been changed three times, already!

Many of the Terms of Carriage (or Contract of Carriage) state they only need to get you from point A to B, and no seats are assigned (even if you did). At least WN allows you to board by group and permits saving seats (within reason) for those who board later.

To summarize:

1) The Transportation board is a full-contact sport. This isn't about making fellow DISers feel good (that's what the other boards are for); rather, the Transportation board is here to give you concise and accurate information to empower you during your travels, as the act of motion is stressful in itself (it's fun to be free...). You have a solid team that are willing to give you lots of information for free based on book knowledge and experience (without requiring you to read the provider's terms and conditions).

2) Remember, you are one of many traveling to Orlando/Anaheim. Everyone on the plane has a reason to sit together, or "need" to park closer, or get somewhere for a reservation. Lots of people try to use an excuse to get a better position, while others use money, and still more use information. We can provide you with the latter, if you are willing to listen. You are just one person heading to/from vacation. bad things happen, but sometimes it doesn't give you an entitlement to better treatment.

3) Use the search function! Many of our questions have already been asked in one way or another. This simple act can save us from these type of ("you are in-compassionate") threads. If you want clarification, please ask, but also realize you will get an answer you may not like/agree with/not enjoy the tone.

4) Before you ask a question on any BB, lurk first!!!! Look around, and determine the culture of those who live there. It is EASY to learn this board is not about fluff or sympathy; it is about information and knowledge. if you want compassion, hit the Families board. If you want to know how to get airline status, free bags, pre-board, get to the MK for an early BBB, not park in the resorts lot for a day at MK (yes, people still ask this), monorail schedules, or generally how to get from Billings, MT to Orlando in 2 days, this board is INVALUABLE!!!!! Just know what the culture is before speaking.

Thank you for your cooperation.

P.S. if this post is crass, tough, as I have Asperger's, remember? :p

First, those who feel the responders are not compassionate, need to understand where they are. The Transportation board is straight up information. There generally isn't any fluff on here, so the answers tend to be curt in nature.

In addition, many of these questions have been asked previously. While it is great the OP asked the question, the answer to most all of these questions can be found in other established threads. However, the controversies are stemming from others who tacked onto the initial intent of the thread (should a family with a toddler get Early Bird Check-in). Starting a new thread titled (WN Pre-Boarding with Medical Issues) would have been better for others needing the same information.

Third, many of the posters who responded are well traveled frequent flyers. They have seen how people game the system, heard many of the same arguments multiple times before, and witnessed the results. Some may be very crass to simply make a statement. If it is off-putting or embarrassing, just ask yourself if you would rather be challenged here or at the gate with people giving you the "evil eye" ;)? These people know the rules, have lots of experience, and should be considered great resources. It isn't personal, and if they didn't want to help, they would not respond and simply let you walk into the pit uninformed.

I have mild to mid Aspergers (per the psychologist :rolleyes:), and I do not think this is a valid reason for pre-boarding as a medical condition. Maybe the allergies, but I doubt your family would board or sit separately, anyway.

As for sitting together in general, BE GRATEFUL YOU ARE FLYING SouthWest!!!!!! If you were on a legacy airline, you would pick your assigned seats, but they could be fluffed around in a nano-second! The only option would be to purchase Economy Plus to ensure sitting together (this assurance is based on other factors, though). Plane changes, schedule shifts, and other factors cause airlines to change seats. Much whining, crying, and gnashing of teeth occurs due to this. as an example, my DL flight for Nov has been changed three times, already!

Many of the Terms of Carriage (or Contract of Carriage) state they only need to get you from point A to B, and no seats are assigned (even if you did). At least WN allows you to board by group and permits saving seats (within reason) for those who board later.

To summarize:

1) The Transportation board is a full-contact sport. This isn't about making fellow DISers feel good (that's what the other boards are for); rather, the Transportation board is here to give you concise and accurate information to empower you during your travels, as the act of motion is stressful in itself (it's fun to be free...). You have a solid team that are willing to give you lots of information for free based on book knowledge and experience (without requiring you to read the provider's terms and conditions).

2) Remember, you are one of many traveling to Orlando/Anaheim. Everyone on the plane has a reason to sit together, or "need" to park closer, or get somewhere for a reservation. Lots of people try to use an excuse to get a better position, while others use money, and still more use information. We can provide you with the latter, if you are willing to listen. You are just one person heading to/from vacation. bad things happen, but sometimes it doesn't give you an entitlement to better treatment.

3) Use the search function! Many of our questions have already been asked in one way or another. This simple act can save us from these type of ("you are in-compassionate") threads. If you want clarification, please ask, but also realize you will get an answer you may not like/agree with/not enjoy the tone.

4) Before you ask a question on any BB, lurk first!!!! Look around, and determine the culture of those who live there. It is EASY to learn this board is not about fluff or sympathy; it is about information and knowledge. if you want compassion, hit the Families board. If you want to know how to get airline status, free bags, pre-board, get to the MK for an early BBB, not park in the resorts lot for a day at MK (yes, people still ask this), monorail schedules, or generally how to get from Billings, MT to Orlando in 2 days, this board is INVALUABLE!!!!! Just know what the culture is before speaking.

Thank you for your cooperation.

P.S. if this post is crass, tough, as I have Asperger's, remember? :p

:worship:

people who *lack compassion* ...

karma is a two way street

my2cents

I'd consider changing my seat, possibly even to a middle seat, to help a family/individual who needed to sit together and due to circumstances beyond their control weren't able to do so. Examples include a family on a connecting flight which landed late or a last minute equipment change which voided everyone's seat assignments. Family mid-boarding or a low A sequence number won't help a passenger if they're incoming flight is delayed and they wind up being the last passengers to board.

I wouldn't take an inferior seat location or agree to be split from my wife, to accommodate passengers who didn't pay for an assigned seat or EBCI. A passenger who decides to take his chances is saying sitting together isn't that important. Not important enough to pay $10 then it's certainly not important enough to expect people to move for you.

Some Spirit passengers wait and get free seat assignments at T-24. Flights to MCO, and most airports, are filled with families, couples and even business travelers who want to sit together. Not everyone who checks in at T-24 will be able to get seats together. There are threads which describe such circumstances. GA and FA tell those passengers that you said it wasn't important to sit together when you didn't pay for assigned seats when you booked.

DH once switched for a mom and her two young sons, so they all could sit together, they boarded extremely late on SW. DH took a seat near another family. They were the family from heck! The mom was loud and obnoxious. Her kids were loud and obnxious, he even got knocked in the head by one of their things flying out of the overhead bin when they tried to open it. She told all the kids to get their puke bags ready, and then bragged how much Ativan she took to get through the trip, unfortunately it did not knock her out! It was so bad that he got free drinks, never even asked, they just appeared on his tray :rotfl2:, and the other mom who he switched with felt so bad bc she knew my DH made a bad move.

I dont know if DH will ever switch again if asked.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter