• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you get a double stroller?

chipper10

Disney Obsessed
We are expecting our 2nd baby. Our DS will be 4 (almost 4.5) when the new baby is born. Would you look into buying a double stroller or just stick with a single stroller? I'm unsure if DS would need one, but he still rides in his stroller when we go to the mall and on walks. We are planning on going to Disney in 2012, but I know we can always rent a double stroller if we don't end up buying one.
Thanks for any help!

I wouldn't bother buying a double for everyday use.

For WDW, then you will probably need one.

Yes! I did, I got a Combii Twin Sport ( ithink that's what it's called) but our 5 yr old is a peanut so it depends on the size of your 4 yr old and whether they like riding in a stroller, but my girls like riding together, and it is GREAT at Disney (lightweight, easy to fold)

We are expecting our 2nd baby. Our DS will be 4 (almost 4.5) when the new baby is born. Would you look into buying a double stroller or just stick with a single stroller? I'm unsure if DS would need one, but he still rides in his stroller when we go to the mall and on walks. We are planning on going to Disney in 2012, but I know we can always rent a double stroller if we don't end up buying one.
Thanks for any help!

I would consider buying one. My boys are less than 3 years apart (7 & 4) and this was the first year my oldest one didn't need a stroller, specially if you are staying for several days at Disney, it would be worth it.

I would get a double umbrella stroller. Even if you only use it for your trip it will be less expensive than renting one.

I wouldn't. You are going to put up with the inconvenience of a double all the time for a maybe he will use it if we go to Disney? Plus there is a good chance he won't need it by the time you get back to Disney. Mine never used a stroller past 3 ish at Disney. I would save money (put it to the Disney fund) and use the single you probably still have.
I doubt he will use the stroller soon at the mall, esp once he hits kinder. and may see other classmates there.

We did, and I'm glad we did. We bought the Baby Jogger City Micro (cheaper!) and got the car seat adapter. DD was a pest at the mall today, and I'm so glad we had the stroller to reign her in, lol. I think it all depends on your kiddo and what you're used to. You can always sell it if it doesn't work for you.

Thanks for any help!

I would keep the stroller you have now and get an umbrella stroller for those times he needs one. They are cheaper and a little less bulky to carry around.

Instead of renting a double stroller I would either bring or rent two singles. Having two singles makes it a lot easier to get through the crowds and go separate ways if you need to. For example you can take your older daughter with you to the restroom and let your spouse sit (in the shade) with the baby.

My 8 year old still hops on when she gets a chance to sit and rest for awhile.

On our last trip we had 2 double strollers going. One which we brough from home, and the second we rented after seeing the need for it.

DD will be 4 when this baby gets here and I debated back and forth with getting a double. I ended up basing my decision on WDW! LOL!! We are going back next year and DD didn't get to ride in her stroller much because my niece was in it...so I decided to go ahead and get one. That and I found a great price on a Mac Twin so it was really a win win.

My DD doesn't usually ride in a stroller when we go places but I wondered if she would when her baby sister got here...I was shocked at how happy she was about the stroller and how much she is looking forward to getting to ride in it with her baby sister so it really worked out great for us.

I would if money is tight check for a used one, or on craiglist. We have the twin sport combi and it is great.

I agree with the craigslist idea. You have plenty of time to watch and get a good deal on a used double that's going to work. We just picked up a single stroller for our upcoming trip to WDW for DD4. She hasn't ridden in a stroller since she was 2, but WDW is different than local fairs and stuff. We paid $25 for a Peg Perego in great condition and can easily resell it once we get back from vacation, assuming nothing major happens to the stroller on this trip. I could probably sell it for even more than I paid honestly. I've seen the one we bought on craigslist for more here lately, but I'm not sure I would feel right doing that. I say keep an eye on craigslist and resell the double when you get back if you don't think you'll have any other need for it besides WDW. Saves you money on renting one once you're there and you'll have it to get on the bus and get back to your hotel at night w/ tired kiddos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter