Would you expect a meal at a 3pm pool party? OK, UPDATE :-)

I think most people are thinking in terms of a party for a child as being a "kids party" whether or not the parents are there, you plan food or not based on the intended guests. Parents are a byproduct to me in that case.
I don't know if they're a byproduct here, since they'll be swimming or at least nearby, definitely part of the party.

:confused3 I had LOTS of birthday parties with only snacks and cakes all were mid afternoon-I never heard this "rule" before?

I dont eat at 5pm-so no a 3pm party does NOT mean food to me-and isnt there a rule about not eating when swimming anyway?

In the NYC area, it's rare have a party without a meal, and it's a very old wives tale that you have to let food digest before swimming. In this case, it's a party where at least one parent has to stay, and since there is no end time, it will most likely run into dinner time (kids don't get bored of swimming after a couple of hours).

No, I would not expect a meal for a 3pm party. Cake and chips and drinks.

I think that you should have had a start and end time on your invitation however.

I'm Italian so there is always food. :rotfl:

But I would agree that grilling up some dogs would probably be a good idea.

Being Italian we always over do it when it comes to food. Is this family, neighbors or kids you only know from preschool? Family & friends would definately expect to linger if I didn't add an end time-and expect a meal. But I would say that I usually expect there to be a meal when it comes to a kid party. I would also expect at least a few parents to be presumptious and ask if they can have their other kids stay since most will stay for a young child in a pool party and plan to feed a large group. It seems like no one RSVPs anymore but I've had parents drop kids off and leave a 2nd child without even asking and they didn't even RSVP.
If you don't want a huge grill going- how about heavy h'orsdoerves? Sliders, pigs in the blankets, chicken nuggets? With chips and a veggie platter that should cover it. Either that or call one of the cheaper pizza places for a delivery around 4pm. We're in FL and Hungry Howies has pizza for $5.55 with free delivery if you order 3 or more. I do that for the kids when we have parties all the time its often less expensive than appetizers!

Don't stress about it hot dogs, pizza or some appetizers would suffice at that time of day. Enjoy the party!

We usually have pizza, burgers/dogs, or hot dogs at dd's pool parties along with chips, cake, ice cream, and juice pouches. The kids are usually starving after a couple hours swimming.

Unless it is explicitly stated I never expect a meal at any party at anyone's house.
::yes:: Me, neither.

:confused3 I had LOTS of birthday parties with only snacks and cakes all were mid afternoon-I never heard this "rule" before?

I dont eat at 5pm-so no a 3pm party does NOT mean food to me-and isnt there a rule about not eating when swimming anyway?
There have been threads like this before, and it seems to be pretty regional. Around here, kids parties (besides sleepovers) are usually just 2 hours and rarely serve a meal, unless the party is right at meal tiime (11-1, 12-2, 5-7, 6-8). But once I took my dd to a party of a family who had just moved here from the south. The party was from 2-4. They were serving sandwiches when we got there, and crawfish and sides when we picked them up. It was very generous of them, but seriously, I cannot eat that much food that often! :rotfl:

If the party was 3-5 or even 3-6, most around here would not serve a meal, but being a pool party and swimming making kids hungry, most would serve heavier appetizers. Since you left it open ended and it sounds like there will be adults, people will probably hang around longer, so I would plan to serve an early dinner around 5 or 6.

I have never been to a party no matter what time of day that did not serve a meal there and just had out snacks and cake- that would be a hugh faux pas around here. Doesn't matter what time the party is- 1pm, 7pm--they all come with some kind of meal even if you are just grilling burgers and dogs and a couple sides!

I was thinking the same thing. Unless someone says, come over for cake, I'd expect a meal of some sort.

I would expect a meal at that time.

Considering most children will eat lunch sometime between 12 and 1. The party doesn't start till 3 so it's already been 2-3 hours without food. After an hour of swimming, I'd expect their little stomachs to be famished. Even on a normal day, 3-4 is after school snack time, and my kids are usually pretty hungry at that time. . .sometimes more so than at dinner time.

Around here, food is almost always served. I think the only time you can get away with only cake and snacks is a 1-3 time frame. . .and even then, if it's a pool party, a meal is always served. It doesn't have to be fancy. . .pizza or hotdogs and some sides.

If the party had an end time of 5pm or earlier, I would not anticipate a meal. If the party runs later than 5 (which it might if it's a pool party) then I would be wondering if a meal would be served. I wouldn't necessarily think less of you if you didn't serve one but, as a guest, I would like to know what to expect.

If I were hosting the party, I would probably plan to serve a meal (or at least something more than chips/fruit/cake). As others have said, swimming makes people hungry.

I think 3:00 implies dinner unless you explicitly say cake and snacks on the invitation. Parties tend to be at least 2 hours long, which runs you into dinner time. Plus swimming makes kids extremely hungry. As a parent, I would find it inconvenient to spend 2 hours with my kid a party, then have to rush home to make dinner or have to buy dinner out to feed my overstimulated, sugared up child.
That said, I never know what to expect and I always feed my kids immediately before we go to a party. However, it hasn't been necessary because every birthday party we've been to has had other food served no matter what time the party.

But once I took my dd to a party of a family who had just moved here from the south. The party was from 2-4. They were serving sandwiches when we got there, and crawfish and sides when we picked them up. It was very generous of them, but seriously, I cannot eat that much food that often! :rotfl:
LOL but in places where you "know" you're going to have food, you don't each much earlier, in anticipation. :laughing:

I don't usually eat at home between 3 - 5. Maybe a little snack, which would be the cake. We don't eat dinner until 6-ish, so I wouldn't expect your party to include a meal.

If my family ate hot dogs or burgers at your place between 3-5, the kids would still be hungry around 7 and expect dinner. It's very frustrating to have my children eat two dinners in one day.

FOr myself, personally (as an adult) I wouldn't expect to be served a meal in that time frame. But if I were hosting a party during the 3pm until ?? timeframe I would DEFINITELY serve food beyond snacks and cake.

For a children's pool party at that time of day I would definitely serve some sort of food beyond snacks and cake, probably something along the lines of hot dogs or pizza or giant subs cut into pieces. I would also provide some food for the adults (because If I were hosting a pool party for 4 year olds, every child would be required to have an adult stay with them to supervise).

Seeing as it's a pool party and no end time is given, I'd expect the party to last beyond 5pm, probably until 6 which IS dinnertime. Like someone else said, the kids probably ate lunch at 11:30-12:00, even with snacks and cake, by 5:00 after all that swimming they are definitely going to want/need dinner.

If my family ate hot dogs or burgers at your place between 3-5, the kids would still be hungry around 7 and expect dinner. It's very frustrating to have my children eat two dinners in one day.

Really? Weekend bbq's usually have the main meal served between 3 - 5, and lots of people here have a big Sunday dinner at that time. My kids would never expect dinner after that. If they were hungry at 7, they could have a piece of fruit.

Really? Weekend bbq's usually have the main meal served between 3 - 5, and lots of people here have a big Sunday dinner at that time. My kids would never expect dinner after that. If they were hungry at 7, they could have a piece of fruit.

That must be a regional thing. We eat lunch when we get home from church, about noon. No one would be interested in a big BBQ meal at 3:00, and I've never been to a big Sunday dinner at 3:00. If I knew ahead of time, I'd simply have a snack instead of an actual lunch, but I would definitely not be expecting an actual meal at 3:00.

In this area if you are invited to a party you expect to be served a meal regardless of the time.

Do what you want, its your party. I usually put on the invitation what will be served. If you tell people Cake and Ice Cream and finger foods, they will know what to expect. You could start the party earlier, and put an end time... say 2-4:30, then you would be really safe in not offering a meal.

Sorry I have not read all the replies but if the party goes past 5:00 then yes I would serve a meal. If it's only 3-5 then no, just cake and maybe some goldfish or pretzels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter