Would you ever stay offsite?

belle&beast

DIS Veteran
If this is on the wrong forum, please move it for me.

We have been offered to use my cousin's timeshare in Orlando- not DVC- and it would only be $50/night for our family of 5. We have never stayed offsite and never thought we would. We love the WDW resorts and use the transportation to its fullest. We also have always used the DDP and our kids are looking forward to character meals. Will we lose the Disney magic if we stay offsite? I know this will be opinion based, but I am curious what others who always stay at a WDW resort think.

I would say that if it gives you the opportunity to make a trip you wouldn't normally be able to take, I would go for it. You are going to be in Disney.

However, beware of your expectations, that since you have stayed on-site before, you will miss those lovely perks that you are used to getting. So if you go in with the expectations with "Hey, it gave us an opportunity to get to Disney that we might not have been able to get, then it is all good."

We TRY to consider offsite for every trip and we just can't do it. Our trips this year are booked with a AAA discount only, which is miniscule compared to the AP or GP offers that we've gotten in the past. So, we thought maybe we could save the money and go offsite, and by that I mean Bonnet Creek :lmao:

We just can't imagine not having the service, cast members at the resort and the resort activities. So, we have finally realized we are onsite or no trip.

I have said on another thread that staying onsite is a Disney vacation and staying offsite is driving to a theme park. Not the same.

That is, as always, subjective... if you can imagine it, do it.
With the money you are saving you can easily rent a car and pay oop for a couple character meals.
However if you plan to prepare some meals in your timeshare, there will be extra 'work' involved, as opposed to take full advantage of the dining plan

I did off-site, but solo or adult only. So in no way comparable (if you have 3 kids and they are small). I now prefer on-site, but only have to account for my single self.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip!

A few years ago my parents gave us the use of a time share near WDW so we jumped at the chance. The location was a short drive away, but did not give you the feeling like you were on vacation. When we got into the unit we noticed that is was dirty (trash in the corners, dust balls under the tables, mold in the shower, etc...). It wasn't up to our standards, but we figured it was free so we bought new sheets and cleaning supplies at WalMart and cleaned it. On the 2nd or 3rd morning there I noticed a puddle on the floor in the living room and thought one of my kids spilled a drink, then I felt something on my head. There was a huge leak coming from the shower above the living room. I walked across the parking lot to the office and told them about the leak, then we checked out and went over to WDW and got a room onsite. I will never stay off property again, no matter what. I know that my experience was probably not a typcial one, but I know that there is a chance this could happen off property, while this would not happen on property.

We have always stayed on site and loved it. With that being said, we are giving off-site a whirl in May. It started that we were going to do a split stay so we could experience off site then move to on-site. It was the only way I figured we would make it to Sea World :rotfl: Then we got an awesome deal at Whyndham Bonnet Creek for $100 per night taxes in for the duration of our stay, so we jumped at it.
When we stayed the first time on-site, we rented a car. We loved it, having the car. The next time we went with magical express & busses, we also loved it. So we have rented a car twice and used the transportation twice (with adjusted expectations , of course :) ) We were so scared the first time without the car, but everything went great. Obviously we are renting a car this time, and we are going to show our kids the ocean , which is something we have never done, and we are very excited about it. Never thought I would go to Disney and do anything else but Disney LOL!

We always get the dining plan. I know you don't have to eat everything presented to you, but I usually do. I don't remember (other than the first day) ever being hungry. Actually the opposite, I remember being full all the time and I am totally looking forward to eating how I want, just knowing I have to budget before we go. I am also looking forward to eating off site at places we have never been before like Seasons 52 and Sweet Tomatoes.

I think 50% of how you will feel about off-site will be your mind set going in. If you think it's going to be horrible, it probably will be. If you think it will be great, it very well could be. If you have the right mind set, I'm sure you will have a great vacation.

Try off site , you might love it, I hope we do!! :cutie:

We would only consider staying off property if we were going to mix in other Florida attractions into the trip. Otherwise it is 150% immersed in the Disney experience.

We even have family in town with a beautiful home only 20 minutes away we stay with often, but not when we are doing our Disney vacations...you just don't get the full 'magical' experience if you are not on property. That saying, the magic certainly comes with a cost and I agree with a previous poster...if you can make a trip you wouldn't otherwise make and enjoy another way to experience Disney and central Florida, then go for it!

If this is on the wrong forum, please move it for me.

We have been offered to use my cousin's timeshare in Orlando- not DVC- and it would only be $50/night for our family of 5. We have never stayed offsite and never thought we would. We love the WDW resorts and use the transportation to its fullest. We also have always used the DDP and our kids are looking forward to character meals. Will we lose the Disney magic if we stay offsite? I know this will be opinion based, but I am curious what others who always stay at a WDW resort think.

Heck yeah !!

Sorry, but I've done both and I've never understand this "disney magic mystic".
We've stayed off site for various reasons, cost savings, better accomodations, doing other things. Just depends on the nature of the trip.

My dh & I celebrated an anniversary in October, we wanted to do a fun trip that was total luxury. Sorry but with the new Waldorf just outside disneys gate it was a no brainer. we still had the 'Disney Magic" only with a way better hotel. :lmao: The few times we did not drive we used the hotel shuttle which was efficient and very nice.

We love on site and off site. So, don't think for one minute that if you stay off site you'll not feel teh "disney" magic because IMO, that's just not true.

Since I drive no matter what (I don't use disney transportation unless the occasional monorail) disney, transportation is not an incentive for me. You say that the transportation is important to you so you should keep that in consideration.

As far as cost, sorry I've always found off site is always cheaper comparing apples to apples. Sure you can get a value for 89 bucks/ a night but no way are you getting a room for 50 bucks a night as big or nice as the time shares in Orlando.

Try and figure out what perks are really important to you and go from there.

I've never had a bad trip offsite.

either way, have a great time.

Thanks, everyone! We have to still do a more cost analysis- car rental is EXPENSIVE when you need a large vehicle- $550-$1000 on my first check. We are a family of 5- me , hubby, daughter who will be 10- so technically a Disney adult, son 7 yrs and son 2 yrs- so he will be free. So this time will be the last time we can stay in a value- it will be tight, but doable, and I have a pin code that gets us our room for around $500 for the week. So many things to consider!!!!

There are a couple of things to consider with offsite more than money. This past Sept we stayed offsite for the first time. We thought we were saving a bundle. But like you said the car was EXPENSIVE (we needed a van) and then the daily parking fee was added to it. The food was a push because we ate at the Disney restaurants for the most part as if we were on the DDP but just paid OOP. Breakfast was store bought but we probably would have done that anyway.

My analysis:

Pros- we spent about the same as we would have in a value, we had tons more space (4bedrooms), and a pool to ourselves. We didn't have any noise from other guests and it probably was easier to get to the parks than with disney transpo. (DH didn't mind driving either.)

Cons- I was not on vacation. I did laundry (alot of it). I cleaned up. I cooked more meals than I would have (not many but more). I was still mom taking care of stuff. I had to call maintenance about ants. (Notice a theme?)

So value= A+
But overall- C+ because @ disney Mommy gets taken care of too!

Like others have said though... if it's this or nothing... I'm still all in.... cause I'd rather be an overworked mama at Disney than at home!

Pros- we spent about the same as we would have in a value, we had tons more space (4bedrooms), and a pool to ourselves. We didn't have any noise from other guests and it probably was easier to get to the parks than with disney transpo. (DH didn't mind driving either.)

Cons- I was not on vacation. I did laundry (alot of it). I cleaned up. I cooked more meals than I would have (not many but more). I was still mom taking care of stuff. I had to call maintenance about ants. (Notice a theme?)

I hadn't thought about the clean up and laundry!!! YUCK-not on vacation! My DH wouldn't mind driving either, but the kids LOVE Disney transportation. I am having a really hard time deciding what to do. I am afraid that my big kids will miss the WDW resorts. Although the timeshare resort has a lot to offer, too, but they love walking the resorts and taking pictures by all the different things there. I am really torn. I am thinking by the time we rent a car, the cost is going to be the same. We will do the DDP if we stay nosite and if we stay at the timeshare, we will still do the same # of meals OOP- I need to price that as well, especially since DD will be an adult cost this time.

While we prefer not to stay offsite price will dictate everything.

We have stayed offsite for weekends etc because we redeem DH travel points through various hotels.

Since we go often it really doesnt matter too much to us but if it was a once a year thing I would have to stay onsite

From a difference perspective, we have always stayed off-site ever since my daughter was 3 years old.

We have gone 3 times (only missing one year) and we have stayed at Hyatt Grand Cypress or Omni ChampionsGate or Gaylord Palms.

All of those are resort/luxury properties and was priced between a moderate and deluxe. But it was hard to pass up with the ammenities offered.

This year we are staying at a mod onsite.

I can tell you that you are still in Disney. ;) You still see Mickey & Minnie things at the stores, etc.

We've enjoyed the relaxing non disney atmosphere after a day at the park.

We stayed off site our first 3 trips; tried on site in 2003 and have stayed on site every trip since then, not sure we would stay off site again

We have done off-site twice and will never again do it.

We love the:

24/7 Disney
Theming
Purchases sent to resort
ME to WDW
Transportation once we are there (let them do the driving and I hate the rent a car thing)
The places we stayed at off site had lots of traffic noise once you leave the building. At WDW all you hear are the WDW housekeeping and grounds carts.
Love walking the grounds in the early morning while wife and kid get ready for the day.

And many more reasons but I need to get off now.

I stayed off-site in 2009 for the first time under similar circumstances - my mom was kind enough to offer us her Marriott timeshare to use in Orlando. I figured it was silly to pass up free so we gave it a go. The trip did have a different feel to it and I did miss being on-site but we had a great trip and I'm glad we did it. We are staying off-site this trip because Disney prices in July were a little crazy and we are a family of 5 so we are a little limited in where we can stay. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is on-site, just not a Disney hotel, and we are getting a 2 bedroom villa for much cheaper than a single hotel room would have been at Disney. I know it won't be the same but sometimes you can't turn down a good deal. :thumbsup2

To get a kitchen and enough beds for all of us (family of 6) would cost us too much to stay onsite. We are staying at Bonnet Creek for less than the cost of two value rooms.

I do love being on-site. It works well for my kids, who 1) often like downtime in the middle of the day, and 2) get such a kick out of being surrounded by Disney even when not in the parks.

But honestly, if staying off-site meant I could go to Disney at a time when I wouldn't normally be able to, I'd jump at the chance. I went to Disney almost every summer as a child and stayed off-site for 90% of those visits...I think we did the Polynesian and Contemporary once each but other than that it was a Holiday Inn for us because that helped make the trip affordable for my family. I still have amazing memories of those vacations and don't think they suffered at all by our having to stay outside of WDW.

I stayed off site on every trip my parents took me on. I only started staying on property when I started taking DS. When I take him (and now DD) alone I don't have any other choice, as I don't drive. I can honestly say now that we've stayed on site I will never ever stay off site again. My family would all love to come and they keep complaining about the price and trying to sway me with renting a house off site, but I just can't do it. I tell them they are welcome to stay off property and meet me in the parks, but I won't be joining them in the house.

The reasons I won't stay off site are:
-staying off property consists of a half hour or so to and from the park, which means going back "home" and then back to the park is harder to accomplish
-having some sort of food service, whether it be QS or TS on my way back to the room is much easier than having to cook something or stop and pick something up
-there's nothing more magical than being submerged in the Disney feel 24/7
-ME is absolutely amazing when traveling alone with kids. I couldn't imagine having to claim my bags and lug them through the airport with 2 little ones in tow, and it eliminates the need to pay for a taxi or town car to the resort
-I don't have to be on anyone else's schedule. If I want to go to the parks at RD and the rest of my party doesn't I can hop on the monorail or the bus and meet up with them later. No one has to sacrifice.

We've stayed onsite and offsite several times and have loved our trips. I think some of the biggest drawbacks of staying off-sites are you don't have as much os "Disney Magic feel", and the perks that Disney give you the EMH.

To us, we didn't necessary get home later because sometimes Disney Transportation can take a while with all the stops it makes and the occasional long wait.

The benefits of staying offsite are the savings, and the convenience of exploring off-site attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter