would you ever go to disney just to stay at the resorts?

The only resort I would consider staying at without getting park tickets is Fort Wilderness. I think there is more than enough to do within the resort to keep me occupied for a long weekend.

Actually my husband and I were just discussing this.The kids want to go to an island next year. We want to just go to disney during the summer months. Hubby isnt all that big on the beach and then we would have the park option if we got bored.

For a long weekend, I would love to just chill in a resort. I have just gone to a park to watch the shows and NO RIDES. We have passes and just enjoy the area. When I was much younger, I did the wanting to ride everything. Now, I am past that. This spring, we will stay on property and most if not all days, we will not do rides.

after touring some of them today, i think i may book trips just to hang out at the hotels.

i would love to stay at the yacht club and not even do anything except chill

It would have to be just DW and I and it would be at an EPCOT resort. Probably the Swan or Dolphin if we got a deal. Would not pay YC or BC price just for the room. Hanging around Boardwalk, and DTD sounds like a nice long weekend.

...that said, we'd probably head down to the keys if we just wanted to chill out...

It would be hard not to go hang at the World Pavillion though.

We are doing that in August ::yes::. We just got back on 12/21 and are looking forward to our August trip to swim and chill at the resort :cloud9:. We have been many times, with 2 of those times being in June & July, so with going back in August we would rather enjoy the pool and do some shopping in DTD without fighting the heat walking around the parks ;).

We did this once when my husband had a seminar at the Contemporary and were there on a four night three day stay. We had a tower view room and I was there with my son (age three at the time) and my parents (They had a room next to ours. We didn't do any of the Disney parks and on two of the three days we just played at the pool, did some resort hopping -- My son loved taking the monerail and the little boats around. There was a little petting zoo area at Fort Wilderness, etc. A highlight too was watching the Electrical Parade that is on the water from our balcony in the evenings (I remembered this back from the 70s when I was a kid and staying at Fort Wilderness.) We did leave property one day and go to SeaWorld. It was such a great trip // ideal with a little toddler.

I don't know if I could not "do" the parks, but I could definately not do the rides. When DH and I went ourselves, we went to MK, Epcot and HS and the only ride we did was Soarin. It was May--we stayed at BC and spent lots of time at the pool just chilling. We got to see more of the shows and non ride attractions and felt way more relaxed!

Our last trip we only went to Epcot one day, water park one day and seaworld one day. Given that were were there for 9 days we loved it. Time to relax and really enjoy the resorts.

Denise in MI

I don't think that I would do that. Florida is a long way from California just to stay at a hotel. We have lovely hotels right here if I wanted to spend that kind of money just to stay at a hotel.

I don't know if I could not "do" the parks, but I could definately not do the rides. When DH and I went ourselves, we went to MK, Epcot and HS and the only ride we did was Soarin. It was May--we stayed at BC and spent lots of time at the pool just chilling. We got to see more of the shows and non ride attractions and felt way more relaxed!

I agree, I could go without most rides but not without seeing the parades & fireworks. I am actually going in feb for a 4 day trip, and will be by myself for 2 of the days The friend I'm going with will be in a conference. I keep saying I can just relax at the hotel GF where I'm staying, but I really can't see me doing that, I think I would feel like I'm missing something:rotfl: the funny thing is I am so not the person who is comfortable walking around by myself but I figured I love WDW soo much, outta give it a try :scared1:

I don't think that I would do that. Florida is a long way from California just to stay at a hotel. We have lovely hotels right here if I wanted to spend that kind of money just to stay at a hotel.

I'm also from California, and my answer is the same. I'd find something closer for "chill time" or I'd go to Hawaii.

If I lived in Florida (or close to Florida) I might consider it. We do try to allot non-park time for every visit, partly to soak up the atmosphere at the resorts.

My husband and I did this for our anniversary one year. We are DVC members so we go down at least once a year from NY. My husband is not really into the parks. So we planned a trip just for he and I - no kids or parks. We stayed at Saratoga Spring to take advantage of the Spa and Downtown Disney. The location was also helpful in that we were not so close to a park that there was a great temptation to just go in. We slet late, relaxed by the pool, rented boats, got massages, had signature dinners, shopped, it was great. We also rented a car which was helpful going to hotels for dinner and generally not using Disney transportaion lessened the Disney Parks feel of the trip. I enjoyed it very much and would do it again.

We are going to the Polynesian for spring break, and while I won't say that we won't be going into a park at all, I don't see us spending much time in the parks. We really (kids included DD13 and DS14) really want to enjoy being at the resort.

We've done it more than once and will do it again. My DH really is not a WDW lover :confused3 so I have lured him in with the resorts and dining plan. The boy likes to eat. I will be going this winter sometime with my DD and we might only go to 1 park on 1 day. We will be looking to just relax and enjoy a little warmer weather. It will not be the least bit unusual if we do not do that 1 park day.

I never would, and I dont understand why anyone would. I would rather go somewhere else like the DR, or some other Island. I go to Disney to go to the parks, if I want a truly relaxing wonderful vacation on the beach I would go to a resort on a REAL beach or Island not the poly, lol......for the money I would pay there including how much it costs us to fly we could prob go to Hawaii!

If I want to be in a grand Hotel, I would stay at one in NYC

I never would, and I dont understand why anyone would. I would rather go somewhere else like the DR, or some other Island. I go to Disney to go to the parks, if I want a truly relaxing wonderful vacation on the beach I would go to a resort on a REAL beach or Island not the poly, lol......for the money I would pay there including how much it costs us to fly we could prob go to Hawaii!

If I want to be in a grand Hotel, I would stay at one in NYC

To be fair, your signature says that you've only ever stayed at the value motels and the moderate resorts. I imagine the only way you could stay at a resort and not go to the parks is to stay Deluxe or DVC.

I woudl not. Could get much more bang for my buck at other resorts around the world than at Disney if I was not doing the parks.

We have only stayed at deluxe resort at Disney, but I would easily respond to your question with a polite, No. You can easily find far better resorts, at the same price or lower, to "chill" at than a Disney Deluxe. Plus, no silly ADRs required 6 months in advance or massed produced commissary food.

Agreed! Much better true resorts out there for a lower price.

After having our first WDW vacation, and experiencing OKW....both hubby and I could finally see how people can do just that!

I kept looking at the schedudule of events they had, and wishing we didn't have those pesky and expensive park tickets that we did need to use. Who knew OKW had campfires every other night or so???? They had a lot to do at AKL too, but OKW seemed really amazing.

I've been to various hotels around the country, and none of them had schedules of events of things for kids and families to do. Since my "sit at the pool or beach" ability stops at about an hour, I don't really think I could go to just any resort/hotel anywhere else and just hang out there. If I went to Hawaii I'd want to get out and go hiking. Not just stay at the resort. Same goes for most resorts/hotels I can think of.

At WDW was the only place so far I've encountered where I could just imagine staying AT the resort and vegging (not in the room, but around the resort).

That said...that grand marnier slushie at Epcot was mighty tasty, and might be a temptation too much to bear day after day! :)

Coming from New York, I'm going to say "no". If we lived in, say, Winter Park, maybe. :)

It's just a waste of money to fly all the way down to Orlando and not stand on Main St. It wouldn't feel right.

I agree we are from NY as well and it would not be worth the airfare or the drive to just do resorts. We do have nice resorts here but to travel from NY to Orlando and not do Disney thats CRAZY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter