• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you ever ask anyone to switch rooms?

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
We are cruising in November on the Magic (Western) and have booked two adjoining Category 9 cabins.

When we booked there were no two connecting cabins available, so we are adjoining. I later discovered that one of our cabins is a "joiner". I know people say they are noisier and not very desirable if your aren't "joining" with the other room.

Questions - would it be acceptable to ask the people in the "joining" room if they would be willing to switch rooms with us? Then we would have the connecting rooms and they would have a quieter room. We will have one child sleeping in grandma's room and thought it would be easier if we had a door between the rooms. (None of the rooms are on the noisy list.)

I would be more than willing to pay them for the inconvenience, or at least order them a gift basket if they wouldn't accept money.

What is your opinion? Would you be willing to ask others, or what would you say if you were asked. I know if we only had one room and it made no difference for category, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I read in a previous thread of a couple who were asked to change and they did. Does anyone know if this is a logistical nightmare or quite easily done?

Thanks for any input.

Maybe your post is confusing me but it sounds like you have cabin A and B and cabin B and C are connecting. You want to ask the people in cabin C if they will take cabin A so you can have the connecting room for your family. If that is the case this is what I would do.... I would call Disney or have your TA contact them and ask them to inquire if the people would mind switching. (kinda like when the dentist calls and asks if you would swap your 10am appt with someone's noon one as they have a conflict) I know i would personally have no problem switching in advance but would probably take offense if you knocked on my door and asked for my cabin.

I don't think DCL would tell you who they are, would they? Maybe they are regulars here. Why not ask if anyone is in room xxxx on that date and see if you can 'find" them.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea.

First I will call my TA and see if she and Disney would be willing to do the work ahead of time, secondly I will start a new thread.

Thanks for your opinions.

I think what Ann suggested is to see if DCL would ask the people in room C if they will switch to cabin A in order to give a family a set of connecting rooms.

All things being equal, I would definitely do this if asked. I'd probably refuse any kind of payment or gift for doing so, unless you wanted to buy me a beer.....

I think switching once on board would present a whole other set of problems, because the room accounts, luggage, passenger manifest, etc. would all be entered on the computer already. If you could arrange the switch before the cruise, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I hope that you will be able to work this out. If I were the person in a connector who did not need it, I would definitely be happy to switch too! We have only been in a connector once (a secret porthole room), and we could hear the family next door very clearly, especially when the kids slammed each other into the door. We would have been more than happy to switch. :D The noise probably wouldn't have seemed as loud if we had kids, too, but since there are only two of us and we're relatively quiet, it is a lot more apparent. I think that most people who did not need a connecting room would feel the same way. Someone might have that stateroom and not even realize that it is a connector. If it were me, no type of payment would be necessary. I think most people would do it out of courtesy if they didn't need a connector and someone else did.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Oops! Once again, I see a different user was logged in at the ship's internet cafe. I've noticed myself that I sometimes have to log out twice to make sure it works, and you have to log out separately from posting messages and from reading private messages.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Disney won't check for us.

"It is not their policy"

You would think they would think it is easier to do it now than to have to change records after we arrive.

I am going to post to see if anyone on the boards is in that cabin.

If u do not find the person in the cabin u r looking for....
would ask them the day u board the ship before they get all settled.... and let Disney worry about changing the onboard accounts and key to the world cards it is very easy to do for them
Good luck Peter

What might make it more difficult is if all the cabins are not the same type and catagory. Some sleep 3 or 4. If the other cabin sleeps four and yours only three, you may not be able to make the switch. If it is another category, that might not work either.

If you are not able to find the person before boarding I would just let things be.
Reason one... the people may be having gifts delivered to their stateroom that would cause a messup
Reason two.. the cabin could have sentimental value to them
Reason three.. I personally would find it very rude if someone knocked on my door and wanted me to switch cabins. As I said I would have no problem prior to embarkation but once I am there that is my cabin and I would find it offensive to be asked to switch.
Try posting the sailing date and cabin number and maybe you will luck out with someone willing to swap. But if not it really is not fair to impose your wishes on someone elses vacation.

Kmovies u bring up a good point ... but they r all the same CAT. CAT 9 , but some do sleep 3 and some do sleep 4......
And ANNMORIN, I think that not having screaming kids next door to me would be a better cruise experience than , going home saying it was an ok cruise except we had a connecting room and there where kids screaming and we could hear them
all night long even if we had to switch rooms at begining of cruise
to get this ..... and i would love to help make some one else vacation more enjoyable..... witch the switch would ....

Peter

I'd post here and any other DCL board to see if you could find the people. I WOULD NOT switch if asked on board. I'd be too afraid of my credit card info getting messed up(as it did when it was just my family in the connecting cabin) Also, would have left room number for emergency calls, etc.

sorry Bev but the answer is no - you are not getting my room

saw the title on this thread and w/out reading your post this was my first response

Actually though if you get the Cat 1, 2 or 3 yes then I will definately switch rooms - thanks for asking

Did you ask on cruisecritic.com?

Did you book connecting rooms? Or does Disney not let you do that. If you did then you should get connecting rooms or a gty.

Joanna

To answer all the questions I can:

They are all Category 9 rooms that sleep four.

There are only two people in the other connecting room.

We were not able to make reservation for connecting rooms. They were all sold out by the time we made reservation in February. So, we have exactly the rooms we knew about when we made the reservation.

If they have a sentimental attachment to the room, then I would never presume that they should change. I never even thought of that, I figured they were given the next room in line just like we were.

I called DCL myself today after TA didn't get an answer I liked :p , my agent called "the pier" (Port Canaveral) and left the message. They would be the ones to contact the other passengers. I should know by tomorow a.m. if they were able to reach anyone and if the other passengers are willing. I am not trying to be difficult, but ultimately trying to help both of us.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If not, it's not the end of the world. I just knew that most people said connecting rooms were a bit louder.

My kids don't tend to be the screaming type, but I am sure a family of four can be noisy in such a confined space.

In your other thread, you said DCL offered you connecting rooms in the same category, just down the hallway from the ones you have booked.

I'm just curious- since you want the connecting rooms bad enough to ask another passenger to move, why did you decline the offer for the other connecting rooms???

I guess I'm missing something...

We didn't accept the connecting rooms we were offered today (only offered because TA called, even though we have been on waiting list since Feb.) because they were on Dave's list of noisy rooms.

We made the decision that we would rather have adjacent rooms that were quiet than noisy roms that were connecting.

I was looking for opinions and had not made a decision regarding asking on-board. I was trying to get a feel for most people's opinion. I have learned that just because I would be more than willing to do something (trade rooms to make someone else's vacation better {especially if it doesn't impact mine}), doesn't mean other people feel the same way. I was just putting out feelers.

If the concensus is that this would be offensive, then I wouldn't presume to ask once we were on-board. We will make the best of the situation we have.

Momster, even DAVE acknowledges that his list is subject to interpretation.

PLEASE, if there are other connecting rooms available that are desirable for your group, TAKE THEM. :) I would never presume to ask another party to switch rooms. Personally I WOULD give up a connector unless I knew the party in the other room because I know they are noisier, but many folks are not subject to the wisdom of those who post here and may be offended by such an offer. ;)

Hope it works out for you! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter