Would you drive or use Disney transportation......

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
....if you were staying onsite at CBR and wanted to get to:

1)Disney Quest
2)Contemporary Resort
3)Hoop De Doo (I think we already have decided to drive this one but always looking for more opinions )

Thanks!

When we went the 1st time we had planned to drive to DD ( where DQ is) and HDDR. We were staying at the ASMo. After we had such good bus service everywhere else, we decided to try the bus to both of these places with the understanding that if the trip did not go well, we would take a taxie back. Well, we had no problems either place. To get to HDDR, we take the bus to Mk and catch a boat to FW. To return after the show, they have plenty of buses going to every resort. The bus ride to DD was also easy and quick, though we did wait about 15 minutes on the bus back. Not bad but was our longest wait. We now plan to use the bus anywhere on property. Leave plenty of time for you PS and don't worry. You can always get back. The transportation at WDW is how I talk DH into trips. He loves not driving all week.To get to the CT, take a bus to MK and walk over or catch the Monorail.

jordan's mom

We NEVER rent a car when we go to Disney. My husband says the best part of the vacation is not having to get behind the wheel of a car. We have spent several vacations at CBR and NEVER drive. We have learned a few tricks about how to get around. The easiest way to get to Hoop de doo is to take the bus to MK and then take the boat to Fort Wilderness. Hoop de doo is right there by the dock.....MUCH easier than driving. If you drive you will still have to get a bus at the front gate to take you to Hoop de doo.

To get to Disney Quest take the bus directly to the Marketplace and get off at the West End.

Take the bus from CBR to MK and then the monorail to Contemporary.

Once again, I post a thread asking something right along these lines on the "Transportation" board, but lo and behold, another member has asked the same question here! ;-)

Glad to hear that everyone has had good luck with WDW transportation. DF and I are planning on making PS arrangements for dinner every night at various places (parks, resorts, DD, etc.) and I wasn't sure if it would be worth it to rent a car and drive, or just rely on the provided transportation. You guys have been great for swinging me in the latter direction!

One question though -- do the resorts provide some kind of transportation map or information about using the various transport modes to get from resort to resort? It would be really helpful!

I just came back from a stay at CBR and used Disney transportation exclusively. Neither myself or my boyfriend wanted to drive on our vacation... :rolleyes: Bus service at the resort was pretty good, very consistent... we never had to wait more than 15-20 minutes for any bus. :) On our first day at Disney we went to the California Grill and we took the bus to Downtown Disney and transfered to a Contemporary/Grand Flordian/Poly bus. We were thinking of taking the MK bus, but DD was the first bus and we had some time so we thought we'd go shopping first.

I would use Disney transportation. It's dependable and inexpensive :)

We always have a car. The only place we don't drive to is MK.

If you drive, you can be at DisneyQuest in about 10 minutes.

ScarletIndigo, I do believe the resorts provide a transportation map on how to get around using the WDW transportation. In addition, I believe resort phones may even have a 'transportation' button...or at least they have someone at the desks who can answer your questions.

I do agree that WDW transportation is good but I find that my own car is quite convenient when going to eat at the various resorts for dinner. Being that transporation from resort to resort is virtually non-existent, it can take an hour or longer at times to get back to our resort.....and I find that to be a hassle and a waste of time. In addition, many times of the year the parks close early so your only option to get back to your resort will be to go to DD. We have taken cabs in the past and they are pretty effecient but cost. Being we generally drive to WDW anyway, driving to the resorts for dinner is a convenient option.

Again,WDW transportation is very good, but there are times when a car is a great convenience. Is it worth renting a car? To me, that would depend on how many different resorts you were planning to visit in the evening and how much you value your time.

We drive everywhere when we are at WDW. I find it faster and it isn't a problem driving. I don't have to worry about what time the bus comes, how full is the bus, how do I get there from here.

I am glad that they have the buses but we don't have any problem with using our rental car.

Perhaps my original post was misunderstood. I was not asking whether or not to rent a car. We will be driving to WDW and thus, we will have our car with us already. What I was asking was, assuming you have your car with you....is it easier to drive to the aforementioned places or use Disney Transportation?

Thanks so much for the replies. We generally always use Disney Transportation and would never consider driving to one of the parks but I wondered about these three places. For example, if we drive to DQ, is it a pain to park there? Would it be quicker and simpler to take the bus? Or, does the bus stop at 17 places between CBR and DQ?

As another poster mentioned, is there any literature or perhaps a website that gives you the ins and outs of transportation? I just learned recently that when you leave the MK you can take the "Resorts" monorail too, who knew? That's the kind of info I would love to find out ahead of time.

So, now that I have (hopefully)clarified myself....anyone want to take a shot at telling me whether you would drive or ride and why?

Thanks!

To get from CBR to DQ, you would take the Downtown Disney bus. That bus must go all the way around the resort before it leaves (I think there 7 stops in total) ... Once that bus gets to DD, it will stop at the Marketplace and then at PI/West Side before going back to the resort. There seemed to be quite a few parking spots at DD ... the bus ride wasn't too long, I believe it was about 10 minutes or so.

Originally posted by GenePA
ScarletIndigo, I do believe the resorts provide a transportation map on how to get around using the WDW transportation. In addition, I believe resort phones may even have a 'transportation' button...or at least they have someone at the desks who can answer your questions.

Fantastic! Thanks, Gene.

In my experience, using your car to travel between your resort and non park destinations is always faster and less aggravating.

herc.

Looks like you got bumped to transportation anyway!

I would use my car for DQ as well. Parking is easy over there. The busses make a lot of stops and I don't have a lot of patience!

As for the contemporary, it really depends on the time of day. In the evening, it would probably be easiest/fastest to drive. During the day, you have more options, so it's not a big deal, but in general, I agree with those who say that for resort to resort it's best to use your car.

And for HDD, your car, of course! :)

We've stayed at CBR 7 times and always rented a car, but we've never driven to any of the parks. I prefer to take the buses, even if they are always as fast. I don't need the hassles of parking.

If we were going to DisneyQuest, we'd probably drive. The buses work, but the traffic going from CBR to DD usually isn't too bad.

For CR, I'd probably take the bus to MK and then walk to CR from the dropoff point. It's not much further away than where you'd park in the CR lot.

Greg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter