• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you do a studio?

mrsp1030

DIS Veteran
Looking at a Thanksgiving 2014 trip and can't decide on a resort or size. It will be me, DH, and 3 DS: 8,6 and 2. Last time we can do a studio and even a regular room at AKL and WL (our two favorites). Any advice or opinions?

Looking at a Thanksgiving 2014 trip and can't decide on a resort or size. It will be me, DH, and 3 DS: 8,6 and 2. Last time we can do a studio and even a regular room at AKL and WL (our two favorites). Any advice or opinions?

If it were me, I'd go with a regular room with 2 queen beds or 1 queen and bunk beds vs 1 queen bed and a sleeper sofa (but that's just me). You can't go wrong with either resort as they are both awesome places to stay :goodvibes.

IMO, the studios were designed for singles or couples. While they'll allow you to book one with 4 + a baby, it wouldn't be my idea of comfortable. I, too, think you'd be much more comfortable in a bunk bed room at AKL or WL. There's virtually no room to walk around in a studio with the sofa bed open, and you'd need to put the crib in front of the bathroom or in the door/entrance area.

A bunk bed room will feel much more spacious, there'll be more room for the crib, and the kids can nap without having to open up the sofa bed.

I guess I should have said that AKL and WL were not our only choices just that it was the last time we could stay there without getting a one bedroom. We prefer to rent points and can't decide if we go for a studio or one bedroom somewhere else like VGF or BLT as this is also a 10th anniversary trip for us.

Being a veteran of staying in all three room types, my opinion is that the studio may be a bit crowded at this point. On our last trip we had a studio at SSR and our two little ones who were 12 and 10 at the time fit nicely on the pull out, but if we had to find another area to set something up for a third it would have been a bit "cramped". I'd look at the 1 BR at least, and if you could swing it think about the 2BR.

I guess I should have said that AKL and WL were not our only choices just that it was the last time we could stay there without getting a one bedroom. We prefer to rent points and can't decide if we go for a studio or one bedroom somewhere else like VGF or BLT as this is also a 10th anniversary trip for us.

Five people, no matter what sizes, in a BLT studio would be horrid. It's the smallest of all. You would all fit in a GFV studio, but that is going to cost as much as a one bedroom villa at some of the other resorts.

If you are "renting points", you'll need to get that rental in December or miss out (except for SSR. AKV and OKW).

Yes we plan to do it in December that is why I am researching now. Part of my reasoning for asking is whether to do a studio or just spend more for a one bedroom or try to get VGF studio.

A studio would be cramped, IMO, for your group. I would definitely spring for the 1 BR if I could.

We have always rented a night or two before checking into YC. Studios for a party of 3 are ok...5? I couldn't see it. This year I am trying for GFV and plan on paying the extra for daily housekeeping. Big downer coming home to unmade beds. I would do a 1 BR at a lesser known resort for the space...((and same points for a more well known studio etc)

I am beginning to think the same unless VGF. We will still need a stroller and prefer to be close to either MK or Epcot resort areas.

I wouldn't do a studio but I think you'll be fine in a 1BR. My family of 5 did fine this summer in a 1BR at Kidani with kids 14, 12 & 10. Prior years we had always stayed in regular deluxe rooms. Rooms at Poly & CR are pretty roomy.

I would do a studio, having a sofa sleeper gives you that extra space for play time before bed or in the morning. I love the AKV's

See I'm debating if b/c kids are still young if a studio is adequate space before we need to move to a one bedroom or get a room at more spacious deluxe such as poly or Epcot resorts.

See I'm debating if b/c kids are still young if a studio is adequate space before we need to move to a one bedroom or get a room at more spacious deluxe such as poly or Epcot resorts.

Once again, the BLT studio is way too small for a family of five. Even if the kids are small. I haven't seen the GFV models yet.

I understand the BLT studios are very small and if I was to do BLT, I would only do a one bedroom there. We may not even use a pack n play as our son will probably be on our portable toddler air mattress too as he is already very long and at the edge of outgrowing a pack n play. Just trying to make a priority list to decide.

We just stayed in an AKL studio with 3 kids. Didn't feel cramped at all. The crib fit will between the bed and the fold out sofa. The extra space in the bathroom/wetbar area really helps make the room feel bigger. Not to mention the balcony.

I think we are leaning towards a one bedroom at BLT or VWL as this is also a 10th anniversary trip for us. I'm afraid the VGF won't appeal to my 8/6 year old boys. As much as we love AKL, we want close to a park so if we need to bring our youngest who will be 2 back for a break we can. I think the Epcot resorts are wonderful but we go about every two years so as the boys get older, I think those resorts will be nice and AKL when I'm not lugging around a stroller. However, my husband will probably disagree and vote for AKL.

1-bedroom at BLT is wonderfully

but a studio at VWL or VGF would be cheaper.

if you want a studio with 2 queen beds - OKW is the only choice.
it is bigger than the other studios.

although think your son would be fine on air mattress at VWL. It is definitely bigger than BLT (of course all the DVC resorts studio are bigger than BLT studio)

plus the size is not the main problem - the design is the problem at BLT.

VWL does not have an activity center - BLT does - although think there is more than enough for your kids to do at VWL - they do have activities.

We have stayed at VWL before and I think it will come down to if we want to try something new. . If we just want to settle and do a studio or just go for the one bedroom. This is the last time we plan to go before our youngest turns 3 so since we aren't paying for his ticket to we just do the one bedroom.

Yes VGF is on our list too. We figure might as well stay at monorail resort while kids are young and before we are paying for additional tickets!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter