Would you cook to save $400 on vacation?

I haven't read this whole thread but I would never cook at WDW and we are always in the villas...

normally I would say if you want to cook then go for it but in this situation there are several things I would consider: will you have a car to go get the groceries?

Have you thought about the time it will take to go back to the villa and cook - and then back to the parks?

If you are going to be there Christmas week - there is a good possibility if you leave the park you won't get back in on some days.

I think that you might find going to the villa to cook and trying to get back to the parks will be extremely time consuming! OKW is a good trek from every park!

Good point about it being difficult to get back and forth during Christmas week.

I will disagree about OKW being a trek from all parks - we've stayed at all resorts on Disney property (except GF), and we drive, so we can get around WDW with our eyes closed. We find that OKW is in a perfect location to get to MK, Epcot and DHS. Animal Kingdom is a bit farther, but it's farther from most resorts, except of course, AKL! We absolutely love OKW location for getting around.

OKW really is in a good location to get around WDW very easily!

Tiger :)

I haven't read this whole thread but I would never cook at WDW and we are always in the villas...

normally I would say if you want to cook then go for it but in this situation there are several things I would consider: will you have a car to go get the groceries?

Have you thought about the time it will take to go back to the villa and cook - and then back to the parks?

If you are going to be there Christmas week - there is a good possibility if you leave the park you won't get back in on some days.

I think that you might find going to the villa to cook and trying to get back to the parks will be extremely time consuming! OKW is a good trek from every park!
Yes but not everyone wants to go back to the parks every night after dinner. In fact most days we were done touring by 5 or 6 and ready to call it a day.

I think it is time consuming to get back and forth to a resort or off site townhouse/condo just to eat a meal.

When we travel to WDW in the cooler months we are generally in the parks from early to late...not going back to the resort until time to go to sleep. We do work an afternoon or morning here and there to take advantage of the pool, etc but otherwise we are somewhere else on property.

I couldn't see stopping and traveling back to the resort just for a meal.

When planning our TS meals, I figure out what park we will be in at that time and our ADR is for a restaurant either in the park or in a nearby resort.

I plan our TS meals for dinner (best use of dining plan credits), CS meals are for lunch and we grab stuff we bring with us or on the go OOP/snack credits in the food court at the resort or once in the parks for breakfast.

In the warmer months, we plan a midday break at the resort to rest and swim... getting back into the parks a few hours before dinnertime so that wouldn't work for dinner back at the resort either.

I just see making food in the room as a huge time suck over and above the whole cooking while on vacation thing.

When we are at the beach, or skiing...I generally premake a pan of baked ziti and bring burrito ingredients, etc. But those trips involve doing something during the day and then something else at night...not like WDW where we can be in the parks from 9am-11pm...or more.

I'm guessing it really depends on how you spend your time at WDW...for us we like maxing out our park time (while working in some resort time here and there) as opposed to just spending a few hours a day at the parks and more time at the resorts.

I can see why making meals at the resorts makes sense if you are there more than we are...but I can't see my family ever preferring the resorts over park time!

What about BLT sandwivhes, you can even buy the pre-cooked bacon and zap it in the microwave for a few seconds.

at first I thought you meant Bay Lake Tower sandwiches!:rotfl: (I spend way too much time on the dis!) I was thinking, if I buy a sandwich at contempo, why not just eat it there?
great idea, thanks! except hubby won't touch a tomato:sad2: and I LOVE BLTs!
thanks everyone else for the ideas for studio cooking. great ideas anymore?
I didn't think there were freezers in those little fridges. or if there are, that they would be big enough to fit things like waffles, or frozen microwable meals. (such as frzn lasagna)
also, I don't recall soup bowls. we could nuke a can of soup, but can't picture eating it in theo tine paper cereal bowls.
thanks again.

We often eat in on vacation because it is the only way I can guarantee you that kids screaming in the table next to you is not mine!!! We drive to almost all of our vacation spots so I am able to pre-cook and freeze meals at home and then pack them in the cooler for the drive.

My crock pot is my best friend on vacation. The last trip we had chicken tacos, bbq pork sands and meat sauce from the crock pot. It was great to load it up in the morning before we left, set the timer, and then dinner was ready when we got home from a long day or ready after our break before we went back to the parks. Although, we had a full kitchen I don't think I touched a pan and crock pot liners make clean up a breeze!!!

I cook and love to cook ! We do it to save money! The food budget is a huge part of the total vacation budget! So eating out takes a huge chunk of that budget. By us cooking and not going out every meal saves us sooo much money that we are able to go on more vacation! Just because I choose to save money by not going out to eat , Doesn't mean I cant afford to. Just to me eating out is a waste of money in certain vacation areas. Disney being on of them! I find them to be very over priced! But that's my opinion! however I see comments on if you can afford to eat then think of a cheaper vacation! Well My rebuttal to that is, A person who chooses to save money by not going out to eat doesn't in turn mean that person cant afford to! My family would be 6 so that mean I would have to be required to spend at least 18% in tip! regardless if I had a dinning plan or not! Just by me eating at our vacation place we will save at least $250 alone on tips! then on top of that I can save basic dp 1175.7. so far that 1425.7.
I can shop for the week for 6 of us for 250! So that 1175.7 I'm saving! I'm not staying on property we have a townhome nearby for the week. Just could not pass by the deal!
Well, Another thing is that my kids help with the kitchen duties and with me, hubby, my mom and the 2 boys we will get the kitchen clean fast like we always do on vacation and head back out for the night!

So I'm all for cooking on vacation regardless if you are on a tight budget or just don't see the pointing wasting money on over priced food! :woohoo:

Walking tacos for those that like tacos! my kids love them and is a must for vacation!

whats a walking taco?
Make tacos like you normally would do except on shells!
Buy the individual packs of Doritos's or Frito's, cut them open on the side makes for a larger opening! add your meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc... Plastic forks and eat!

I have never cooked on a Disney vacation and can't really imagine it. For us, Disney is a go, go, godestination. When we have down time, I want to relax by the pool or nap just like the rest of the family.

That being said, we've never stayed in a condo at Disney and we don't go often. When we take a beach or mountain/ski trip and have a condo, I do sometimes cook. I'm usually good for a couple of cookouts or picnics on the beach and in the mountains, I cook either lunch or dinner just about every day. Those trips for us are more about relaxing and hanging out.

I guess, if you have a condo and want to cook, then go for it.

I think it is time consuming to get back and forth to a resort or off site townhouse/condo just to eat a meal.

When we travel to WDW in the cooler months we are generally in the parks from early to late...not going back to the resort until time to go to sleep. We do work an afternoon or morning here and there to take advantage of the pool, etc but otherwise we are somewhere else on property.

I couldn't see stopping and traveling back to the resort just for a meal.

When planning our TS meals, I figure out what park we will be in at that time and our ADR is for a restaurant either in the park or in a nearby resort.

I plan our TS meals for dinner (best use of dining plan credits), CS meals are for lunch and we grab stuff we bring with us or on the go OOP/snack credits in the food court at the resort or once in the parks for breakfast.

In the warmer months, we plan a midday break at the resort to rest and swim... getting back into the parks a few hours before dinnertime so that wouldn't work for dinner back at the resort either.

I just see making food in the room as a huge time suck over and above the whole cooking while on vacation thing.

When we are at the beach, or skiing...I generally premake a pan of baked ziti and bring burrito ingredients, etc. But those trips involve doing something during the day and then something else at night...not like WDW where we can be in the parks from 9am-11pm...or more.

I'm guessing it really depends on how you spend your time at WDW...for us we like maxing out our park time (while working in some resort time here and there) as opposed to just spending a few hours a day at the parks and more time at the resorts.

I can see why making meals at the resorts makes sense if you are there more than we are...but I can't see my family ever preferring the resorts over park time!

Lots of times when we are there in the cooler months, like January, the MK and HS close early, like 7. And AK always closes early. Only Epcot stays open routinely until 9.

So we eat a late big lunch on site, then do a late dinner once we get back to our DVC.

Lots of times when we are there in the cooler months, like January, the MK and HS close early, like 7. And AK always closes early. Only Epcot stays open routinely until 9.

So we eat a late big lunch on site, then do a late dinner once we get back to our DVC.

In Nov/Dec when we would go the parks tend to be open later than 7pm... at least to 9 or so. We typically close down the park OR take advantage of the Late EMH so dinner at the resort doesn't work out.

It is a huge money saver for us by cooking most of our dinners and all of our breakfasts on our disney vacation. We are generally done at the parks about 3:30-4:30 and then come back for dinner. We do quick meals like many others have said, but I find it to be healthier as well.

We can't afford Disney Table Service every night, and the counter service isn't the healthiest. Plus even the "healthier" options at the restaurants seem to be filled with calories, fat, etc.

I want my family to be feeling their best on vacation, and eating out that many meals just doesn't work for us. Our bodies are used to healthy home cooked meals and too much processed foods makes us feel :sick: after awhile!

The money saver is the biggest motivator though!

Sorry, I'm going the opposite way. No way would I cook on vacation. To me, it's not a vacation for me if I have to work. I'd rather save up a little bit longer so that we can go on a vacation where everyone can enjoy themselves. :goodvibes But if I'm stuck making meals or doing dishes and then we head to the parks, it's going to feel like we're home only w/ different scenery..... I love being able to go out to eat when we're on vacation. It's a lovely break from the norm. :thumbsup2

I totally agree with you! Cooking is the last thing I want to do on my vacation.

Ok, I'll admit it....we are going on vacation next week and we are low on funds! We have had our trip to DC planned for over 6 months, including a congressman getting us tours, so we don't want to cancel. This spring we have had many, many dr and hospital bills, hence being low on funds.

The kids are aware of this so we are staying free for 6 nights with AmEx points in the Sheraton Suites in Alexandria. We are driving, only having to pay for one night in a hotel. I am packing food for the car for the drive down. I am also going to be cooking food today and freezing it to eat at least 3 dinners in the room. We will be eating all breakfasts in the room and I figure will eat lunch out in DC while touring.

Today I am cooking taco soup and taco seasoned meat for two meals. We will only have a micro and a fridge. I am also bringing my own toaster and electric skillet for eggs and toast (I can't stand eggs in the microwave). We are also going to have hotdogs and barbeque sandwiches with mac and cheese and baked beans.

I have $30 in gift cards and a $5 off coupon to Outback, which we will use in Alexandria for dinner one night. So that's 4 nights worth of dinners. I will only buy 3 out. Maybe take out pizza or something cheap one night and 2 good dinners out or I'm thinking about cooking and freezing another meal if I can come up with one, hmmmm....

There is a Trader Joe's on N. St Asaph Street just about a block south of you just in case you need some milk, or other quick groceries. I go there all the time. Enjoy your visit!

Another thing we do is that the adults on the trip all rotate preparing a meal. Generally there are 3 or 4 adults. There will be 5 adults on our next trip. Everyone picks a day (or 2 days since our trips are longer than a week) and they fix the meals on the day(s) they pick. That way no one person has to do the cooking/preparing for the entire trip.

Ok, I'll admit it....we are going on vacation next week and we are low on funds! We have had our trip to DC planned for over 6 months, including a congressman getting us tours, so we don't want to cancel. This spring we have had many, many dr and hospital bills, hence being low on funds.

The kids are aware of this so we are staying free for 6 nights with AmEx points in the Sheraton Suites in Alexandria. We are driving, only having to pay for one night in a hotel. I am packing food for the car for the drive down. I am also going to be cooking food today and freezing it to eat at least 3 dinners in the room. We will be eating all breakfasts in the room and I figure will eat lunch out in DC while touring.

Today I am cooking taco soup and taco seasoned meat for two meals. We will only have a micro and a fridge. I am also bringing my own toaster and electric skillet for eggs and toast (I can't stand eggs in the microwave). We are also going to have hotdogs and barbeque sandwiches with mac and cheese and baked beans.

I have $30 in gift cards and a $5 off coupon to Outback, which we will use in Alexandria for dinner one night. So that's 4 nights worth of dinners. I will only buy 3 out. Maybe take out pizza or something cheap one night and 2 good dinners out or I'm thinking about cooking and freezing another meal if I can come up with one, hmmmm....

You travel like us! I think you will have a great trip.

Chicken casserole freezes & nukes well, the kind made with soup and stuffing. You could boil frozen peas in the electric skillet if its the type that has sides.

This is what we do, Jodi, and it works out really well for us.

:thumbsup2

There is a Trader Joe's on N. St Asaph Street just about a block south of you just in case you need some milk, or other quick groceries. I go there all the time. Enjoy your visit!

Thanks! I saw that this week on GoogleMaps and plan to make a stop.

Some of the PP who would not cook on vacation are making it sound like an all-or-nothing scenario! I prepare a few meals while on vacation, not all of them - it doesn't take much to save $400 (or whatever). Like so many others, I work full-time and do all of the cooking at home. My vacation is important to me too but cooking/assembling a total of 10-15 meals (out of 42) over the course of a 2 week trip is no big deal. I hate wasting money and in my experience, too many of the Disney meals we had were under-whelming. We also spend up to 4 weeks a year in a DVC resort - with 4 adults in my family, using the DDP would cost us well over $5,000 a year. We have better vacation uses for that money.

I would...not so much to save the money but I get tired of eating out every meal after a while. I would do something easy like sandwiches or maybe a one pot pasta dish.

Same here.

With a 8yo & a 4yo sometimes it's more relaxing to eat in.

Some of the PP who would not cook on vacation are making it sound like an all-or-nothing scenario! I prepare a few meals while on vacation, not all of them - it doesn't take much to save $400 (or whatever). Like so many others, I work full-time and do all of the cooking at home. My vacation is important to me too but cooking/assembling a total of 10-15 meals (out of 42) over the course of a 2 week trip is no big deal. I hate wasting money and in my experience, too many of the Disney meals we had were under-whelming. We also spend up to 4 weeks a year in a DVC resort - with 4 adults in my family, using the DDP would cost us well over $5,000 a year. We have better vacation uses for that money.

Exactly!

Quite frankly, I don't understand the whole debate. Either it works for you or it doesn't. For us, we really enjoy having a kitchen at our disposal and eating in the room often but I can understand how it doesn't work for others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter