• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you bring this camera to WDW?

3DisneyBuggs

DIS Veteran
Dh has a new Nikon D50. Has anyone brought this big of a camera to the parks? We're only going to have a park stroller and they don't have baskets for storage. I hope DH will take my advice and borrow my Mom's Sony digital.

Yes.

I bring my Canon 20D with me everywhere. I keep around my neck most of the time, put it in a Lowepro AW bag for those moist rides and put that in a ziplock inside the 'goodie' bag for the water rapids rides. Last trip I took the camera along with 3 lenses as well.

Why have a really good camera if you are not going to use it. :confused3

Get a good camera bag to hold the gear, I have had real good luck with the Lowepro Nova AW either the Nova 2 or Nova 3 would work well. Others here have used tamrac and backpack type.

Mike

I say take it. If storage is the issue, then make it clear that he is going to be the one carrying it all the time. I personally would never take my camera off my neck because as soon as it is, I am not taking care of it anymore and I might miss a pic by having to dig into the bottom of the stroller to get it. WDW is one of the most amazing places to take pictures. If he does not take it he might come home disappointed that he was limited by a point and shoot.

Went with my D50 back in June. Took almost 1500 pics. I couldn't wait to use it at Disney. It spent most of the time around my neck.

You will find on this particular photo board that if you have a great camera and want to take great pictures, Disney is the place. There are way to many things to photograph at Disney to not bring your dSLR. Many many many people have dSLR's and other excellent cameras that they bring to Disney.

He will enjoy the trip more if he can bring his good camera and you will reep the benefits of the great pics he can take.

latest trip to WDW I carried the following everyday from the moment the park opens to the time it closes:

Canon 300D + Vertical Battery Grip
The Kelly Lens
Canon A95
Fuji A345
Sony D8 Handycam
Manfrotto 290 tripod with ball head
Motorola V600 phone
Palm Tungsten E PDA
Cobra GMRS radio

We're bringing our new Digital Canon Rebel xt (and all the lenses/tripod, etc) to WDW and Disney Cruise in NINE DAYS!! The "camera backpack" is already packed and ready to go!! I'm with Mike ... the camera will probably, well, it WILL be around mine or DH's neck MOST of the time! If you've got a good camera to take GREAT pics, USE IT!!! It will be worth it when you get home and want to re-live your WDW vacation! :thumbsup2

So I guess I should get my DH a camera backpack then. I do love the pictures this camera takes so I do understand why he should bring it. I'm gong to look for a backpack bag- thanks for the suggestions!

I've been carrying an SLR around the parks for years.

I started with my Canon Rebel G and Sigma 28-200 lens, then later added a Canon Speedlite 220EX flash unit.
rebelg-together.jpg
50741.gif

Now I carry my Canon Digital Rebel 300D with my Kelly lens (Sigma 18-125), and I still carry the Speedlite:
41647-1.jpg

Carrying a large camera around the parks is not that big a deal when you consider how much better your pics will be, but it does require a few preparations.

1) A REALLY good camera strap. For many years I used a 2" cotton web strap. Recently I switched to an x-harness that is much more comfortable. Use the wrong strap, and the weight of your camera will give you pains in your neck or shoulders in a few hours.

2) Get a walkaround lens. Unless you feel like lugging one or two spare lenses around all day, and switching off constantly (thus missing a shot or two when quickness is required), you need a lens with a good range of zoom from wide to tele. I like the Sigma 18-125, known here as the Kelly because of Kelly Grannell's enthusiastic endoresment of it (I second the emotion every time she does that, by the way).

3) Figure out a comfortable amount of extra equipment to carry with you. You may not need 3 extra batteries, 6 memory cards, and a cleaning kit - or you might. Each person's shooting style is a little different. I carry 1 or 2 extra memory cards, my flash, a pocket-size tripod, and a 1-gallon Ziploc bag that I use as a Camera Poncho

4) Use it! Instead of lugging the camera around all day and only taking 1 pic per hour, take a bunch of pics. Use the shotgun approach; snap at everything, you can always delete the bad pics later.

I bought a new camera bag for this trip it is a backpack type but a sling one so it slips around the front it is awesome! TAKE THE CAMERA for sure! :thumbsup2

Kelly Grannell said:
latest trip to WDW I carried the following everyday from the moment the park opens to the time it closes:

The Kelly Lens
Canon A95
Fuji A345
Sony D8 Handycam
Motorola V600 phone
Palm Tungsten E PDA
Cobra GMRS radio

Take a look at the Treo's.... you can combine the Palm and phone into just one thing.... I got one about a year ago now.... was a great thing for me. The newest models are starting to get a little thinner as well.... My phone got a little bigger, but I got to give the palm away and only have one thing to carry.

I don't want to combine my palm and my phone. I use both extensively and the battery will not be enough. Besides, I change my phone every 11 months due to crazy talk time I use (about 20 to 26 hours per month). For my daily use, I have to charge my palm and my phone (now RAZR V3) once a day and by bluetooth headset once every two days.

UKDEB said:
Sigma 18-125mm - affectionately known as the 'Kelly' lens!!! (Kelly finds it a brilliant all-rounder)

pmcf said:
Sigma 18-125mm - affectionately known as the 'Kelly' lens!!! (Kelly finds it a brilliant all-rounder)
This is the lens I've been "praticing" with ... and getting used to the weight of this camera!! It's GREAT!!! HeeHee ... my DH refers to this lens as "the kelly lens"!! I crack up EVERY time!! Sigma ... Sigma!!

Willcad ... LOVE your camera poncho idea!!! I'm sure we'll need a poncho for our rebel with the afternoon thunderstorms I'm sure we'll be experiencing next week in WDW!!! GREAT thinking!! :thumbsup2

Shot gun approach!!! ... I live by that ... it drives my dds (and dh) NUTS!, but they love when they see themselves in the scrapbooks I create!!!

3DisneyBuggs said:
So I guess I should get my DH a camera backpack then. I do love the pictures this camera takes so I do understand why he should bring it. I'm gong to look for a backpack bag- thanks for the suggestions!

backpacks are good,,

vests are better...

I have 2 backpacks, {needed a bigger one}

and 2 vests,
gear travels in the backpack then switches over to vest for the parks,{batteries memory cards etc. stay in the vest}

Without reading ALL the posts(lots of catching up).

I just got back from a trip to DisneyWorld, I took my 20D and a few point and shoot cameras.

The 20D spent most of the week in the room and I carried a point and shoot EVERYWHERE.

WDW is my vacation I have only been there twice(now), I was just having too much fun to worry about taking gear.

DisneyLAND is my 2nd home and have been known to head over there with plenty of gear just looking for that one moment.

Kelly Grannell said:

The Kelly Lens
Canon A95
Fuji A345
Sony D8 Handycam
Motorola V600 phone
Palm Tungsten E PDA
Cobra GMRS radio

Now I know how to find Kelly :rotfl2:

That small bag on my back has my D70 and 3 lenses. Next trip I will also be holding my new SONY DCR-HC96

Spectro is #1 said:
Now I know how to find Kelly :rotfl2:

That small bag on my back has my D70 and 3 lenses. Next trip I will also be holding my new SONY DCR-HC96

LOL! Congrats on the HC96. You won't be disappointed!

Definitely bring it!

If you use a shoulder strap, be really, really careful. A DSLR with a lens is pretty hefty. With a shoulder strap, it hangs and swings right about kid head height. I carry a really hefty camera (usually with a chunky lens on it) and I'm always nervous that I'm going to klonk some poor kid with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter