• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you bring an umbrella stroller?

TupperMom7

DIS Veteran
We have two children who will be six years old by the time we make our trip. I know them and when they get tired out, they will want me to carry them. My daughter isn't too heavy for a few minutes, but her brother - man that kid weighs a ton! He's skinny as a post, but he's solid.
We have an old umbrella stroller - no shade on it anymore, just the stroller part. I wouldn't feel bad if something happened to it while we were there and it might be good for them to plunk down in once in a while.
Is it better to bring a stroller or rent one there? Is it easy to take them on the monorail, the train, the boats, etc.? Or is it easier to rent one and just get a knew one at each park?

Our kids are past stroller age now but we always brought an umbrella stroller with us. It is so much easier than standing in line (which happens during busy times) to rent and/or return one. Remember to place some kind of name tag on it. I think you will find it a lot easier and quicker to use.

HBC

Here is another opinion - I just rent a stroller. Last year DS was 5 and I didnt need one other than in the parks so I didnt want to have it on monorail, buses, boat, etc. BUT I usually visit in September so I don't have to wait in a long line to get one.

Also, I like that it is bigger than most umbrella strollers and has some coverage if the sun is getting too much. I usually leave alot of stuff in the stroller when we go on rides (nothing that can't be replaced easy) I know that sounds silly but I still like to believe in the best of people-especially "disney people".

I think umbrella strollers are invaluable with smaller guests. They give you the option of toting tired children around the resort/Downtown Disney/Boardwalk Resort/etc which would not be possible with rental strollers. Ideally, we all go back to our resort and sleep when our babes are tired, but I've never been able to give up quite that early. ;)

Bumping you to Disney for Families for more replies.

Yes bring the stroller! My dd, now 5, doesn't use a stroller normally. We just did the zoo and she walked without complaint the entire day. Fortunately Disney is not the zoo! We are definitely taking her strolller. I bought her a Maclaren Daytripper a year ago that is great for taller kids. It weighs very little and easy to negotiate. I was just talking to DH today about bringing her stroller and he too though I should just rent but those strollers are so uncomfortable! The time I would probably need it is when I leave the park and DD is too tired to walk. If I rented then I wouldn't have a stroller to let her rest in til we got back to the resort. Most little ones need to rest and strollers are perfect.

Yes! Umbrella strollers are wonderful not only for tired kids, but also for a little bit of storage (if yours has a basket underneath).

If you're flying, it's nice to be able to just put the little one in and run through the airport if necessary, plus you can gate check it. We never travel without ours!

I'm bringing my Perego umbrella stroller but wouldn't bring a smaller one. The little ones are too hard for me to steer comfortably, too short. Last year we rented a Graco form ABBF. It had a large storage basket and was very nice. If your child will be in it a lot I think it should recline, have a canopy, have a storage basket and be comfortable for you. We also rented one for my DS which was nice for him but they dont have any storage room.

I would rent one.

Our twin boys had just turned 6 when we visited in Jan. I was worried that we would need one but they did great! They do have an older sister that they try to keep up with and the weather was very nice, not too hot.

The year before they were 5 and we forgot their umbrella strollers at home. I was so upset at the airport when we opened the back of the van and realized that they were still in the garage! The boys managed fine without. We rented a double stroller one day toward the end of the trip. I think they enjoyed being out of the stroller and able to walk up to things.

Good luck!

Do it. My DD is 5 and tall for her age but we bring a stroller only for WDW. She would not ride anywhere else but she does there. It is great to have for a tired sleepy kid. Once of carrying her from the bus to the room convinced me to bring not rent as youhave to leave the rentals in the parks. Plus it makes me feel more secure knowing exactly where she is in the crowds. Plus I bring a little cooler and stick in the basket and save some $ on drinks. You may wantto check out the stroller swap on the boards if you do not want to bring but need it outside the parks. Have fun!

most umbrella strollers have a maximum weight limit of 40 pounds, after which they can quite easily collapse. Given your childrens' ages, they probably already exceed that weight limit. Also, if you bring a stroller for one, the other child may get jealous of the free ride. I suggest you rent a double stroller while at the parks if you really need it.

I opted to rent this time dd(who'll be 5 Monday) is BIG for her age 4ft tall and 65 lbs. worked out fine because of her size she was more comfortable in the rented one. Towards the end of the trip she seemed to need the stroller more. Never even waited in line to get one but we were there in mid May.

I am going to rent for my twins when we go, they are over 40 pounds and I have found that it can be difficult to manuever the umbrella strollers, plus because they are very tall, they have a hard time keeping their feet on the foot rest comfortably and always end up dragging them which is a pain for me. Plus I really hated folding them up and dragging them on to the trams in the parking lot. In any case there are pros and cons both ways. I have done it both ways and prefer renting.

Last year when my twins were 5 was the last time we were able to use the umbrella strollers. :( Although they are of normal size they were too big for them and it was very difficult to push them around. This year at age 6 we rented a double and that was fine - they enjoyed the rest shaded from the sun. Otherwise they had no problem walking around, it was more a convenience for us and a little break for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter