Would we regret Oasis or Allure instead of Fantasy?

We are Disney people through and through as well and I can't see us cruising any other line. It's not the ports we love or even the experience of being on a boat but the Disney atmosphere and entertainment on the ship. For us that's well worth the extra dollars. If we couldn't afford to cruise Disney anymore we'd probably chose a land vacation of some kind. I too have read the Shrek vs Mickey trip report and it is excellent. I can tell just by that and other online research that sticking to Disney is the way to go for us but if you feel drawn to give something else a try you should! It all depends on your tastes and what those particular tastes are worth to you.

Different strokes -- the world would be boring if we were all alike. The Fantasy is beautiful and humongous -- I have no desire to sail on an even larger ship.

Our travel agent loves the Oasis-class ships, and has "encouraged" us to give them a try, but I'd rather sail on a smaller ship that doesn't overwhelm the tiny port towns when thousands of passengers decend upon them.

Walking is good exercise but the hallways of the Fantasy seemed to go on and on and on. I'd rather play on the Magic or the Wonder.

Maybe if the Oasis class ships installed moving walkways?

We are looking forward to our first DCL cruise, but have cruised Freedom of the Seas, and I agree with a prior poster's recommendation. New ship that's big enough with plenty to do, and still good itineraries. I think the ports are somewhat lacking with Oasis and Allure, Freedom has more options.

RCCL has stuff for kids without being totally kid-focused. Be aware, however, that staterooms on RCCL are pretty small. My comparison is to Carnival, but I bet it would be a bit of a shock compared to DCL. And the bathroom situation is different - you have to go to suite level rooms to get a bathtub, and no split bath. Honestly, availability of a tub and room size was the deciding factor for us with DS3. With older kids, maybe not as much of a concern for you.

This is how I feel about the Oasis class itineraries, but I REALLY want to sail one of them. I think we will plan on either Independent or the other one that is in Europe probably in 2014. Stoked. :banana:

The rooms are much smaller, but when I travel with DH, my travel companion is the most important :) and then the itinerary...

and its not that hard not to spend more money. on our last cruise, aside for one excursion, we didn't spend any more money (and 4 pictures). We didn't feel gyped in any way and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Today will be our first Disney cruise on the fantasy. We have done royal carribbeans liberty of the seas and had a fantastic experience. It's similar in size to the fantasy and they have the dreamworks experience. We have the oasis booked for may so well be able to do a real comparison then!

We are Disney people through and through as well and I can't see us cruising any other line. It's not the ports we love or even the experience of being on a boat but the Disney atmosphere and entertainment on the ship. For us that's well worth the extra dollars. If we couldn't afford to cruise Disney anymore we'd probably chose a land vacation of some kind. I too have read the Shrek vs Mickey trip report and it is excellent. I can tell just by that and other online research that sticking to Disney is the way to go for us but if you feel drawn to give something else a try you should! It all depends on your tastes and what those particular tastes are worth to you.

i can't stop myself from commenting on your post...
it's amazing to me when people comment on one cruise line vs another when they're never been on one of the cruise lines!!

it's nice that you love DCL, but the OP was wondering about RCI vs DCL...
the OP has been on DCL, so presumably already knows what DCL is like...

anyway...i guess i'm in a bad mood today or i would have just gone on my merry way without commenting...

i've also only been on DCL and had very good times on all 3 cruises....
nevertheless, DCL has priced itself out for me....i just can't see paying those exorbitant rates again... ....
so I'll be on Oasis of the Seas this August and i can't wait....

my decision was made much easier after DD sailed on Radiance of the Seas this past summer - on the southbound cruise from seward alaska to vancouver canada...
she's been on DCL several times and adores it (she's the reason we started going on DCL to begin with)...
however, she was very impressed by RCI - she said the ship, service, activities, food, everything was just perfect and she can't wait to go on another RCI cruise...(one is already scheduled for August 2013)..
she'd be thrilled to go on DCL again, but it's just too expensive for her...and given that RCI was so fantastic, she's not at all upset about missing out on DCL! :goodvibes

bfaber said:
We are Disney people through and through! We've done the Wonder, Magic, and Dream and were anxious to complete our Disney crusing experience with the Fantasy. I have the end of May 2014 on hold, but can do the RC Oasis or Allure for over $2000 cheaper the same week!!! Would we regret it? What would we miss that we were used to on a Disney ship? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We prefer Disney. We have sailed RCCL only twice. Once before Disney and once after.

We do love Disney, but we don't do the characters things while on boards. We just love the service and the atmosphere. It's seems to us that the people who cruise on DCL are all wanting the same thing from the vacation, family. My children are older and still choose Disney.

RCCL would be our second choice if we really wanted to cruise, but couldn't get on Disney. My main objection to Royal is there are some interior areas that allow for smoking. One small interior room with smoking and I can smell it all over the ship. Too much for me. My children were excited to try the rock wall climbing, the ice skating, etc. The ship we were on didn't have those activities open all the time. We were under the impression that we could choose what we wanted, when we wanted.
We spent a lot of down time just wandering it seemed.

My children called Royal Caribbean ROYAL BORIBBEAN.

That being said, I'd choose RCCL over Carnival or NCL. I'm sure you will have a good time no matter what you choose. Those are just my objections. Doesn't make RCCL less nice than Disney, just different and not my preference.

i can't stop myself from commenting on your post...
it's amazing to me when people comment on one cruise line vs another when they're never been on one of the cruise lines!!

it's nice that you love DCL, but the OP was wondering about RCI vs DCL...
the OP has been on DCL, so presumably already knows what DCL is like...

anyway...i guess i'm in a bad mood today or i would have just gone on my merry way without commenting...

i've also only been on DCL and had very good times on all 3 cruises....
nevertheless, DCL has priced itself out for me....i just can't see paying those exorbitant rates again... ....
so I'll be on Oasis of the Seas this August and i can't wait....

my decision was made much easier after DD sailed on Radiance of the Seas this past summer - on the southbound cruise from seward alaska to vancouver canada...
she's been on DCL several times and adores it (she's the reason we started going on DCL to begin with)...
however, she was very impressed by RCI - she said the ship, service, activities, food, everything was just perfect and she can't wait to go on another RCI cruise...(one is already scheduled for August 2013)..
she'd be thrilled to go on DCL again, but it's just too expensive for her...and given that RCI was so fantastic, she's not at all upset about missing out on DCL! :goodvibes

Different tastes for different people. I know my tastes pretty well and well enough to know what type of vacation I want. Our kids don't know who the Dreamworks characters are, they love the Disney characters and that's something we do a lot of on the cruise. The Disney broadway shows are my absolute favourite part of the whole trip, I love the pirate party, ordering room service late at night and watching Disney movies on demand in our staterooms, eating in Disney themed restaurants, etc. We always piggy-back a few days at WDW on our cruises so that's another going for Disney - it makes for a seamless family vacation. All those things are the reasons we cruise. Without that I'd rather go to New York or Disneyland or WDW or Europe or Hawaii or Banff etc. I have nothing against the other cruise lines they just don't appeal to my tastes. I'd rather do my online research and go for something I know I love than spend the thousands of dollars it costs our family to fly down from Canada and try something that doesn't appeal to me at all. I just wanted to post here to second the recommendation for the Shrek vs Mickey trip report because it truly is excellent at illustrating the differences between the 2 cruise lines.

The size of the Oasis scares me I have thought about RCCL Freedom class ships since DCL. Prices are so high. My friends went on it and loved that size ship and said they had plenty to do. Just have to remember its different its suppose to be.

I should have mentioned we have 3 girls 16, 14, and 12 and a boy, 8. We love swimming, the kid teen clubs, and the shows. And of course the eating! How will all that compare?

Teen club on RCCL and especially the Oasis and Allure are very nice. I like that they split the teens into 12-14 and 15-17 as I feel that is a more even split for those ages

Pools on Disney are one of the reasons we are looking at RCCL for our next cruise. Picture 10 kids in the pool and it being crowded. The pools on RCCL are much larger and there are more of them plus the 16 year old can join you in the solarium area (adult area if accompanied by a parent). The adult area on these ships is huge.

as previously mentioned on these larger ships you do have to reserve everything, even the shows. If you want to experience RCCL on a ship closer in size to the Fantasy and Dream I would suggest the Freedom of the Seas

by the way I am a platinum castaway club member on DCL and have sailed all of their four ships multiple times. For a $2000 difference and the pools I would go with RCCL

Happy99 said:
Teen club on RCCL and especially the Oasis and Allure are very nice. I like that they split the teens into 12-14 and 15-17 as I feel that is a more even split for those ages

Pools on Disney are one of the reasons we are looking at RCCL for our next cruise. Picture 10 kids in the pool and it being crowded. The pools on RCCL are much larger and there are more of them plus the 16 year old can join you in the solarium area (adult area if accompanied by a parent). The adult area on these ships is huge.

as previously mentioned on these larger ships you do have to reserve everything, even the shows. If you want to experience RCCL on a ship closer in size to the Fantasy and Dream I would suggest the Freedom of the Seas

by the way I am a platinum castaway club member on DCL and have sailed all of their four ships multiple times. For a $2000 difference and the pools I would go with RCCL

Is the Freedom of the Seas just as nice the Oasis with just less to do?

For those who have sailed on Oasis or Allure, what are things you pay for on those ships that are included on Disney (such as soda)?

jdb in AZ said:
I'd rather play on the Magic or the Wonder.

This is me, too, and not just because of price. But in-laws are insisting on Western Caribbean for the big family vacation, so Fantasy it is. :P

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

TheHannas said:
I am loving this last part as I sip my coffee this morning!! Just very well put

Thank you. I live in NY, very near one of the areas that was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. We personally were fine, as were our immediate friends and family thankfully. But counting our blessings and being grateful has become a new pastime.

For those who have sailed on Oasis or Allure, what are things you pay for on those ships that are included on Disney (such as soda)?

it's true that you pay for soda on RCI, while you get it for free at the soda dispensers on DCL.
However, my daughter - who initially wasn't going to buy the soda package on her Radiance of the Seas cruise - realized that she actually likes it better on RCI because the soda package permits you to order a soft drink in every bar - something that isn't true on DCL.
So no matter where she was on the Radiance, she could order her free soft drink. She found that to be really convenient and she preferred it.

as for other things - you can bring your own liquor on board DCL, you can't do that on RCI.

I am a Diamond with RCCL. We did the Allure last year and are about to do our first Disney ship on the Wonder. I am going in with no expectations. I hear amazing things about Disney and am very excited, but I so have to say there is nothing like the Oasis/Allure. They have things that just don't exist anywhere! While we frequent RCCL and Celebrity, the service, and food are always spotty, but on Allure, everything was consistently perfect. Everyone we know that has sailed on these two ships only get off with the most positive reviews. I thought the most amazing thing were the fact on a sold out sailing with 6000 passengers, the only crowd we ever saw was I. The royal promanade during a parade. Always room in pools and always deck chairs to be found.

With a 3 and 7 year old, we felt it is the perfect time for Disney Cruise. Again we only hear the best things about Disney, so I hope it hold up to its buzz. My 3 year old is obsessed with Mickey and this will be a total surprise to both kids. The only issue is, I just had a work commitment come up and our Christmas cruise may get pushed to spring.

We just went on the Allure in November and loved it. My kids are girls 16 & 14 and a 9 year old boy. We have done the Oasis as well as Freedom. While the kids loved RCC we are looking to book Dream for our next cruise. There is so much to do on the Allure/Oasis and the kids loved the boardwalk area, flowrider and ice skating. With that being said my girls are the ones pushing for DCL. They think the teen area is better on Disney. I believe the pools are better on RCC and while they are crowded, I feel it is not as crowded as Disney. The cost difference is what made me originally switch over to RCC, but you do still end up paying more. We did purchase the soda package. Food is good on both. We did not feel the need to do the specialty restaurants as the menu in main dining rooms was good.
We will most likely switch and do DCL this year because we have done the RCC for past 4 years and want to change it up a bit. But will definately do Oasis/Allure again!!

it's true that you pay for soda on RCI, while you get it for free at the soda dispensers on DCL.
However, my daughter - who initially wasn't going to buy the soda package on her Radiance of the Seas cruise - realized that she actually likes it better on RCI because the soda package permits you to order a soft drink in every bar - something that isn't true on DCL.
So no matter where she was on the Radiance, she could order her free soft drink. She found that to be really convenient and she preferred it.

as for other things - you can bring your own liquor on board DCL, you can't do that on RCI.

correction - RCI just changed its policy as of this week - you can now bring wine on board with you....i just saw the posts on cruise critic about the change in policy..

Could someone comment or confirm that the kids clubs on RCCL close at lunch and dinner times and charge a fee for after 9-10pm.

I thought I read this somewhere and could make a big difference in your cost and enjoyment of your cruise(if you have kids)?

I know my DD just loves those clubs and would spend the whole cruise in there if we let her.

On the Hawaii they did a sleep over(her first night away from us) and she loved it and so did we!:blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter