Would we really miss that much if we didn't make it to DTD?

princessag

Earning My Ears
I had originally planned on us going to DTD on our arrival day, around 2 or 3. My plans were to see Santa and then I guess some shopping.

We are going to Epcot the following day, but were only planning on spending that one day there. After all my "research" on the boards, I am wondering if we shouldn't try to go to Epcot for the arrival afternoon also. We can see Santa and Mrs. Clause at Epcot, as well as, the other Santa's. Also would have more time to ride things b/c DH wants to ride alot of the big ticket rides and I'm afraid we just wouldn't see as much as we would like of Epcot if we only go for one day.

Any thoughts on missing DTD? Thanks!

I would much rather go to Epcot than DTD. DTD is mostly just shopping.

The best part of DTD on our last visit was the boat ride from one end to the other. If you've never done it, I'd plan on spending a couple hours there. They have cheap eats. Even Wolfgang Puck's express place was only about $35 for a family of 4 to eat! I think DTD is fun and worth doing.

I would much rather use the extra time to go to EPCOT. Downtown Disney is OK if you have an extra day, or don't want to burn a ticket on arrival day. Otherwise it is mostly shopping and eating, you can do that anywhere on property.

I would do extra time at Epcot. DTD is mainly shopping. Maybe you could go over to DTD while kiddo naps in the stroller one afternoon or the evening that you go to AK. That's what we do. We go DTD after AK.

We haven't taken that tedious bus ride since the Adventurer's Club closed, we may get there in a rental car next March, but it's not on our 'Must Do' list. Raglan Road and a live act at House of Blues might tempt us, but that's about it. I'd vote for more time in Epcot with a stroll to the BoardWalk after dark to catch the entertainment there.

Bill From PA

Thanks for all the responses! We will see DTD if we have some free time somewhere during the week. Would much rather spend that arrival day in one of the parks!

Never been to Downtown Disney, but just doesn't appeal to me... I'd rather be in the parks. I'm not a big shopper... the restaurants don't appeal to me as much as those at the parks and Disney resorts, the hot air balloon would be fun but I'm not big on heights.....

I thought about going to Downtown Disney during some downtime.... but we are planning to do the Santa Mini-Golf by Blizzard Beach instead. I too wonder if I'm missing something, but this will be our 3rd WDW trip next week and probably not going to DD again...

I've been to Downtown Disney a few times...for Disney Quest, La Nouba, one time just to poke around by myself, but I don't like to shop, so it doesn't do anything for me at all. The food at Wolfgang Puck's is good, but I wouldn't go to DTD just for that. Now EPCOT...that's a lot of fun. EPCOT hands down!!

I'll pile on - possibly unjustified because we haven't gone - but I don't understand the draw of shopping, eating and drinking - you can do this in the parks or even at home.

We won't be going this year either - the extra add on park day is always incrementally short dollars, and I'd much rather spend time in any park - even to re-do rides and attractions we've already done.

i mean if you aren't a shopper that looks at every single thing, i've shopped and done all of DTD in under 2 hrs

We don't bother with DTD on about half our trips. We're not big shoppers and there are other, more convenient/entertaining places we'd rather eat (mostly around the World Showcase). On longer trips where we've got the water park ticket upgrade, we sometimes plan for a morning at Disney Quest and a stop at the Lego Store because those are two of DS's favorite places in WDW, but if he's not traveling with us or we've only got base tickets we don't do DTD at all.

I had originally planned on us going to DTD on our arrival day, around 2 or 3. My plans were to see Santa and then I guess some shopping.

We are going to Epcot the following day, but were only planning on spending that one day there. After all my "research" on the boards, I am wondering if we shouldn't try to go to Epcot for the arrival afternoon also. We can see Santa and Mrs. Clause at Epcot, as well as, the other Santa's. Also would have more time to ride things b/c DH wants to ride alot of the big ticket rides and I'm afraid we just wouldn't see as much as we would like of Epcot if we only go for one day.

Any thoughts on missing DTD? Thanks!

Epcot's Countries always have a storyteller about how Christmas is celebrated. Interesting for Mom and Dad and entertaining for the child. I love DTD, but vote a second day at EPCOT.

Look for Lime Green Mickey Heads!!!!

I wouldn't think twice about NOT going there. Downtown Disney is in my opinion overrated. It's a crowded shopping area with overpriced food places with super long waits (both summer and Christmas -- most places no reservation and some places three hour waits for dinner). I love the Disney parks, but usually avoid DTD like the plague. Note, though, I'm not a shopper. The only time I will set foot there is if I have Cirque du Soliel tickets, and I usually eat somewhere else before heading over there. (Just have never cared for the place)

21 trips since 1971 Camping offsite 71, 72, 74 (twice) , 75, 77 / Camping Fort Wilderness 75, 76 / Onsite Hotels: Contemporary 93, 99 Port Orleans Riverside 07 / / Rental House Gated Community (Name escapes me – house available through my husband’s company) 95 / Offsite Condos: Marriott Royal Palms 86, Polynesian Isles 94, Cypress Pointe 01, 04, Sheraton Vistana Resort 03, 04, 07, 08, Cypress Point Grand Villas 07 / Offsite Hotel: Hilton Garden Inn Sea World 09, 10 / Note: Will be staying at Orange Lake March of 2011 (Another offsite condo stay)

I agree with most that at times you can miss DD, but at Christmas it is pretty cool.

They have a very neat house built for Santa and the decorations there are very nice.

If you have time try to see it.

I would vote for Epcot over DTD. Even if you just stay in the countries and/or perhaps are fortunate enought to fastpass SOARIN or Test Track.

If you have extra time and want a park-free day (saving a day on your ticket), then DTD is a good something-to-do and can burn up a couple of hours, especially on a not-so-nice weather day when you can't swim.

However, if you have an annual pass, then I'd do Epcot. It's much more interesting than DTD, hands down.

Have a wonderful time!

I like to go to DTD for a short while. I do like to shop a bit, but my biggest reason for going is Goofy's Candy Company and I get three of those pretzel rods dipped in chocolate. I'm plain and I just get them rolled in Oreo crumbles but YUMMM!!!! They are heavenly!:goodvibes:goodvibes:love:

We used to love DTD (back in the day when it was the Village, especially), but we don't go anymore bc it's so overly crowded all the time. Everyone raves about Wolfgang Puck's, but it's very packed and difficult to find seating for a fam of 6.

We always stay at WDW for at least a week, so an extra day in the parks is only about $18 total for our whole family. So, the parks are a much better deal in our situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter