Would this work?

terri33inne

DIS Veteran
Considering buying DVC... just myself & my daughter, and we average 2 trips/year... 3 out of last 4 trips have been deluxe stays, so am thinking DVC makes economic sense.

Here is my question. We already have a trip booked for this December 2-8th. I know there is no availability that week to book DVC (perhaps SSR, which I don't want to stay at for this trip).

If I bought a contract now, would it make sense to just move forward with my cash trip for December, and then maybe rent out my points? I just don't want to pay for the contract AND pay for a cash trip when I have points I could use.

I'm debating a long weekend trip in August, would I be able to use points for that trip if I bought a contract now?
TIA.

Only you know what makes sense for you. Availability on short notice is always a challenge, expect resale to take 90 days.

:earsboy: Bill

Where do you want to stay? Are you looking resale?

If you're thinking direct there's a lot of interest in poly points right now and that are paying $13/pt. you get points right away thru Disney but it's $$ than resale

That being said if you buy direct your guide could try to pull some strings for December

Where do you want to stay? Are you looking resale?

If you're thinking direct there's a lot of interest in poly points right now and that are paying $13/pt. you get points right away thru Disney but it's $$ than resale

That being said if you buy direct your guide could try to pull some strings for December

For December I've been planning for over a year & really want to stay GF. For purchase I'm leaning toward BLT... I love being on the monorail, and BLT price/point is good as well as the annual dues. I am looking at re-sale contracts.

So, your choice is basically, buy now or buy later? If you have the cash, buy now. Prices have increased dramatically lately. Nobody knows if they'll continue to go up, but they don't seem to be going down. The rental brokers have increased what they'll pay for points, so it seems like a good time to buy to me.

If you made your decision to buy, then buy now. Why wait? There's always the element of the unknown in the future (price increases, change in your financial status, etc)., and the possibility you'll regret buying when you did. As for the cash reservations vs. buying now and using points....I'm in the same boat. I would make the cash reservations until everything is settled with the DVC purchase. As others mentioned, availability in anything but SSR is going to be tough on short notice (less than 6 months). If by chance you can use points for your stay, you can always cancel your cash reservation. If you can't cancel (at the risk of losing a deposit or monies paid), you can possibly bank the points for DVC.

I'm going in September, and again for the RunDisney events in November/Jan/Feb. Right now, I have cash reservations for September and November, knowing that I probably won't get anything I want through DVC for those times. I have a contract under ROFR waiting to hear (expected the end of June). Once that clears (hopefully!) My closing is scheduled for the beginning of August, but I would hope it would be sometime in July. Even then, I doubt I'd get a DVC resort for November. I'm hoping to use my points for January, but not holding my breath on that either.

I agree with supersnoop ---Buy now. It may take you awhile to find what you want and once you find it, expect at least 90 days, possibly longer before you can book anything. I don't think you would have it time for along weekend in August but once you have gone through the process then you can decide what to do for your next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter