Would This Bother You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C.Ann said:
I think you're under an enormous amount of stress and not just from the issues you have stated here.. What happened was you finally reached your "breaking point" - something we have all done at one time or another..

Removing yourself from the situation was the best thing to do.. If you had stayed, things would have gotten very ugly and deteriorated further..

Try to relax.. Take some time for yourself.. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.. :flower:
I agree with C.Ann here and other messages in this thread. You are a great mom to your kids and cat! I don't think you need to seek medical help or should feel like a horriable mother. You had a bad day, we all do! And it always helps to vent by writting down how you are feeling, which you did with this thread. I hope all is well today! :)

The only thing that I want to add is some advice I got from somewhere when our kids were first born. I don't remember where but keeping it in mind has helped at times so here goes:

Its OK for your kids to get angry, moody or whatever. But its not OK for the parent to get angry at the kid. This doesn't mean you ignore the kid or let them get away with whatever they are doing. You have to deal with it if required but it isn't OK for the parent to get angry about it. Part of being an adult is having control over your emotions no matter how hard.

It is along the line with disciplining kids. Disciplining them when angry is about the worse time to do it.

Having boys 6 & 8 this has come in handy more than once.

clkelley said:
she should have jerked the kids up and taken them back to the room and put them to bed for that behavior, or even taken them home.
Who teaches them that behavior? Where do they learn it? Who leads them to believe that it's acceptable? Gee -- let's see ... it's either parents, teachers or television/movies/video games. I'm sure it's not their teachers. At school, I have to teach basic behavior/manners to students. Why should I teach this? Shouldn't children come to kindergarten knowing how to behave? That hitting, calling names, making faces, saying nasty words, talking back to the teacher are unacceptable? Well, if they see it at home, then it is acceptable. If they're allowed to watch it on tv/at the movies, then it's acceptable. I am only in school for so many hours to teach this. Are my proper behavior lessons being reinforced at home? I can't come to each student's home and teach them there, too. Isn't it the parents who should be setting the example, teaching their children not to play w/food or drinks, teaching them how to articulate, teaching them basic manners, showing them that there are consequences to their actions? My students sure don't learn that playing w/food and water, making faces and mumbling, lack of manners are acceptable from me. I make my students repeat themselves and speak articulately so they can be heard. If they make a face for doing it, they go into time out during recess. Those kids learn quickly when recess is taken away. If you don't want a child to spill a drink, you move the drink away from them. Isn't it obvious? Tell them once to stop ... if they don't stop immediately, then take action immediately. Don't keep parroting the same thing b/c it's not effective after one time.

If it's not the teachers, that leaves the parents or television. Don't be so fast to blame tv b/c isn't it up to the parents to monitor the television shows that their children watch? That tv has an off switch, a plug that can be pulled. Same w/those video games. As for movies, again, it's up to the parents to monitor those. Parents can control the movies/tv/video games. So, ultimately, it's the parents who teach/show/make acceptable the behaviors and allow their children to learn what is acceptable from the things they and society subjects them to.

The OP has allowed her children to act this way. She states that her dd has been pulling these faces for months. What has she done to prevent it? Simple talks? Asking her a million times to stop it? Well, if it's not happening after asking the 2nd time, what's going to make it happen after the millionth? If that's not getting through to the dd, then the OP needs to up her ante. I wonder .. if OP's DD had to spend time in the corner every time she made a face, would she stop doing it? Or, if OP took a priveledge away from her DD, would the faces stop? If the mother has to repeat herself 10 times and the action hasn't stopped, then repeating it has NO EFFECT on those kids. She needs to take other measures to deal w/them. They need to learn there are consequences for their actions. If the child hears "If you don't stop" a zillion times and there are no consequences b/c they don't stop, then they're going to keep going.

Wouldn't Nanny Frost say "if you have to say it more than once, then you aren't effective and you to find a new approach"?

I wonder where the OP's dd picked up the habit of making the face? Maybe at home? B/c, after all, we learn from watching our parents.

By removing herself, her children still got the party even after acting out the way they did.
Oh, yeah, some party. Whoopie. Is that the kind of party you want to be part of? Please. That was hardly a party after mother stormed out. If you were 8 yo, would you be in a party spirit if your mother removed herself from your party? Or would you be hurt? I'm sure this was not the party it was supposed to be.

This society is catering to children way too much these days.
Let's see ... I'm part of society and I don't cater to anyone's children ... not even my own. I, certainly, am not Super Mom but my child has to pitch in and do. He doesn't get to slack off while Mommy does everything for him. Sorry, but you can't raise a functioning human being if you do everything for them. It's the parents who are catering to their children and who allow society to cater to their children. It's a parents responsibility to navigate their child through society and show their children what is acceptable and what isn't. I have 3 students whose parents do their homework every night. In kindergarten! I can tell that those students didn't do the cutting, coloring, pasting, etc. I know when Mommy did it. Mommy even has the nerve to write child's name at the top of the paper for Junior, too. How is Junior supposed to learn how to print his name if Mommy does it? How is Junior supposed to learn to print the letter S if Mommy does the letter S printing homework for him? Society isn't making Mommy do it ... Mommy wants Junior to have fun, so she "takes on the burden" and does it. And, believe me, my Kindergarten homework is basic reinforcement. It's not difficult for the student to do. The one parent that does the Kindergarten child's homework also writes her 5th grade child's reports. It's so easy to spot parents work when you know the work the child does in the classroom. So, what is little Susie going to do when she has to go off to college? Is Mommy going to go w/her and do her work there? I'll even ask my students if Mommy did their homework. They, ever so blase, say yes. I tell them that Mommy already went to Kindergarten and they need to do their own work. Does that help? No ... b/c it's Mommy, not society, catering tot hem. Society shows the children what is available to them ... it's up to Mom and Dad to determine and show their children what paths to take. Parents are the enablers.

Pedler said:
Part of being an adult is having control over your emotions no matter how hard.

Yes, yes, yes! I completely agree w/this!

This is where you take that deep breath in through the nose and push it out through your mouth and say "Is this the worst thing that could happen to me today?" and if it is, then consider yourself freaking lucky b/c there are loads of other people throughout the whole world dealing w/greater tragedies than a mumbling 8 yo and a drink spilling younger child. (Geez - I wish I would have thought to say this pages ago!)

It's all in the perspective! OP -- you could have been dealing w/far more enormous tragedies in your life ... be thankful that you aren't.

Isn't it possible the daughter mumbles not because she is being rude, but because she's embarassed about her teeth that need braces? She might not open her mouth enough so that people can see how crooked they are. Poor kid.

The only thing I feel the need to add is: Don't post something asking for opinions if you are not willing to hear what people have to say. Be careful what you ask for.

clkelley said:
I'm coming in on this late, but I think the OP DID NOT overreact. In fact, she should have jerked the kids up and taken them back to the room and put them to bed for that behavior, or even taken them home.

By removing herself, her children still got the party even after acting out the way they did.

This society is catering to children way too much these days.

Carol

:eek:

jerk the kids up???

clkelley said:
she should have jerked the kids up

Disneynutbsv said:
:eek:

jerk the kids up???

:eek:I know!!! :eek: And maybe she should have slapped the dd across the face for making a face and mumbling ... and smacked the drink spiller upside the head? :eek: :sad2: Hey -- maybe if it's ok to jerk the kids up, it's ok to smack them around, too? I don't think society would cater to that treatment.

all the slamming from my family would bother me yes, but i would deal with it for my kids sake. no harshness intended, yes you were overreacting.

clkelley said:
I'm coming in on this late, but I think the OP DID NOT overreact. In fact, she should have jerked the kids up and taken them back to the room and put them to bed for that behavior, or even taken them home.
Jerk them up, how, by the arms, or the hair, or maybe just drag them upstairs? That would have taught those kids respect, un huh. Even the boy who has been Diagnosed with the attention problem? For making a face (ok all those with 8 year old who have never made a face (that you could see anyway) raise your hands!), and spilling some water. I don't think if that is the type of learning these kids would have, that anyone would have to worry about being a mom about for a long time (and keep in mind, this is the same mom who bragged not long ago about how well behaved her kids were in nice restaurants..so obviously if that were true, this was not normal behavior from her kids). I'm betting with that type of behavior (by the parent, not the child), that in 10 years, or 20 years, she'll be posting on this board, my daughter/son won't visit me, or allow me to be with my grands. How ungrateful after all I did to, er for them.
Wow, I didn't think people jerked their kids around anymore..I thought those books were all thrown out once we found out hitting begets a hitter. I would give anything to undo the mild spankings that were all the rage 30 years ago.

clkelley said:
I'm coming in on this late, but I think the OP DID NOT overreact. In fact, she should have jerked the kids up

Carol

:sad2: :earseek: :sad2: :earseek: :sad2: :earseek:

Wow, this thread is full of all kinds of wonderful advice.

ok...deep breath...
now count to 10....
Ok, first off, none of us are perfect mommies (or daddies)...It's humanly impossible. We ALL make mistakes! Sometimes one of the biggest mistakes that we make is not realizing that our children are people...just like we are...and they make mistakes and have accidents too. Have you ever rolled your eyes when someone said something you didn't agree with...only to be caught? Or maybe someone warned you not to do something once or twice, but you did it anyways because you were enjoying it... I could list examples, but I think if we all think hard enough, we can remember some.
We must remember that it is our RESPONSIBILITY to teach our children what is appropriate in inappropriate behavior, but we have to do it in appropriate ways. Remember, they learn more from our actions than from what we say. It concerns me that the OP has a hearing loss, and has not remedied the situation. You want your dd to fix her mumbling problem, but you haven't fixed your hearing problem. My sister has worn hearing aids all of her life...and it's frustrating...to everyone involved. She would be frustrated because she didn't hear something, and I would be frustrated because I would have to repeat myself often. Then my grandma became hard of hearing as she aged...and that was even MORE frustrating because she was too proud to admit that she needed a hearing aid. She finally humbled herself and got one and is much happier now!
To answer the original question, did you overreact, yes...but I don't think that the damage is irreversible. Instead of it always being a negative memory for your family, it can be a springboard to a better future. A new beginning of sorts...
Here is a poem that has made me think many times about what I am teaching my children by how I react to situations...I'm not sure who wrote it, but boy does it say alot.

CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE

If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight
If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy.
If a child lives with shame, he learns to feel guilty

But,

If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient.
If a child lives with encouragement, he learns confidence.
If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate.
If a child lives with fairness, he learns to show justice.
If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith.
If a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself.
If a child lives with acceptance and friendship, he learns to find love in the world.​

Since I posted early on to this thread, I assumed the OP was looking for serious replies or seeking some kind of input on the situation. I came back to read and see if the OP had anything positive to say about the outcome of her situation... Like maybe, she's talked to her family and resolved to find ways to not let herself get to the end of her rope, at least not on special occasions. I'm wondering how she and her family members are treating each other right now. I sure hope this incident has blown over and been forgiven or resolved at least at home... It's apparent from the outpouring of stories here of people who had this same kind of stunt pulled on them whether once or repeatedly as kids, still remember it. It has left a big impression, one that is negative toward the stunt-puller in most cases it seems. That in itself, says it all.

Is it right to let kids get away with bad behavior? No. But is it right to be the "perfect police" and nit-pick them to death, especially when you're supposed to be "honoring" that person? I say no. I guess some people here live in more black-and-white than I do. I strive for balance, tolerance and happiness in my lives and for the lives of my family. Think Fruit of the Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-Control. These are the attributes God wants us to strive for. Are these the ones you carry? Are these the ones you displayed in this situation? There's no corollary in here stating it's okay to blow your top if you are not thanked, underappreciated, stressed, feeling sick, etc. But there's one not mentioned here that should be sought... forgiveness.

I have to respectfully disagree that leaving the restaurant was the best thing to do as C.Ann has suggested. A temporary time-out in the car, bathroom, etc., taken tactfully, seems like the better option. If the OP is really that incapable of controlling her own emotions, I feel very sad for her and worried for her children. Quite frankly, I don't really care what the underlying issues were. I don't care how many things she had piling up on her plate. As the mother, it's her job to deal with that. That's part of what you "sign up for" when you have the baby. If things are that close to the breaking point, for heaven's sake, don't push yourself further with all the party planning stuff. I don't know if professional counseling is necessary... though, who here couldn't benefit from it from time to time? But for goodness sakes, at least the organization, prioritization, stress-reducing and coping skills could be strengthened here. Oh and whatever happened to PATIENCE? Honestly, it really makes me sad to see someone who is so angry and lashes out with such harsh sarcasm and ridicule. Why must you fight so hard to protect yourself? What are you trying to protect yourself from?

I actually regret posting to this thread because of how heated it has gotten. Not so much that I can't deal with the direct attacks back towards me... though I don't feel they are fully deserved. But the general negativity, the biting sarcasm, the hateful "tone" that comes across in vhoffman's post and replies (and yes some of her previous posts as well), makes me not really want to be anywhere in the same vicinity. And I have control over my contact with her. I don't even know her face-to-face. She is my equal... she is not my authoritative figure. So, I can't even begin to imagine how her kids and dh may feel, if this is how she conducts herself on a daily basis with her family. I am sure they so desperately want to have a light-hearted, loving family that makes happy memories together, but quite frankly, a person that continues to submit to this kind of attitude will forever taint and spoil and good memories she tries to create.... no matter how hard you try. You can't get yourself out of your own way, I think. But I sure wish you could prove me wrong, for you and your family's sake.

Under typical circumstances, this incident, while blown out of proportion, has gotten even more so. I wonder if the OP is just digging her heels in even further because of this thread. I mean, I've been thinking, if, just what IF, this is something I pulled (I hope to dear God I would be able to control my mood enough not to, but hey, people have bad moments)... even if I felt stubborn about it, eventually, I would come to the conclusion that I DID indeed overreact and I would recognize that I alone, defeated the very experience I tried to accomplish... creating a nice birthday for my dd. I would don't know if I'd actually apologize... I personally, probaly would, but in any event, I would definitely resolve this with some kind words, praise and some ideas on how to reconcile.... to teach, it's okay to screw up, but there are consequences. Right now, my consequence is rebuilding my kids' trust... and I'm going to take responsibility for that... here's how I'm going to do it... That's where the teachable moment lies. I sure hope this family finds that. IT'S JUST AS MUCH ABOUT REALIZING IT YOURSELF, THAT YOU OVER-REACTED. If you continue to try to justify your actions, you will hold onto your anger and resentment. Besides, why be so defensive and insist you were RIGHT? Would you rather be right or be happy? Would you rather your family believe you are always right or would you rather your family be happy when they're together?

I guess this might make me a part of the "Dis Post Police" but, I just had to see for myself. There are a lot of negative posts by the OP. But what I want to know, is what happened to the mother who had this kind of understanding? This is one of vhoffman's posts from awhile back:

My children are remarkedly well-behaved in "nice" restaurants, to the point we've had numerous compliments from other customers, wait staff, etc. That being said, I would limit the number of "nice" restaurants I take my children to. When I was a kid I was constantly drug to "nice" restaurants with my parents and their friends. Since I was an only child, it was a rare treat if there was anyone in the group within 20 years of my age. I just recall being bored to death more times than I can count. I do think it makes a big difference if there's other children for the child to interact with, and do try to realize that the children are there, they can't be expected to just sit there for hours on end listening to old people talk about so-and-so's stroke, heart attack, bunions, etc. Be considerate of the child if you want consideration from them. I would have much rather spent my time in a kids club type place rather than sit through all those upscale meals. With our children, the difference is that we have two kids, so they have each other to interact with (albeit appropriately). Also, we don't drag every old crony along and expect our kids to endure hours of "old people" talk. Do remember, they're just kids--oil and water don't mix!

So, you see, you've got it in you to be understanding. I think you also know deep down that you've over-reacted, and contributed to the downward spiral of your dd's bday memory. But the good news is, once you get past the anger and denial, you've got the ability to smooth this over and start anew.

I read to page 2... and I agree with what most everyone is saying, particularly DMrick's posts to that point.

You asked for opinions.. mine is that you overreacted.
Would I have been a wee bit frustrated at that point- after doing so much for the party, one child giving me attitude, the other spilling water on me and then a flip comment from DH who did apparently none of the work behind this "special day"? Sure I would have... but knowing me I'd probably just make a quick flip comment back to DH and got over it. MAYBE excused myself to the bathroom to do a silent scream (do I have a patent on that? am I the only one that does that occasionally??? LOL) but I wouldn't have left. And I CERTAINLY wouldn't blame the child for it all and plan on doing hardly anything for her the next year.

What exactly did she do? She just had a little attitude when she talked and you didn't hear her or she mumbled. THAT'S IT. The rest is beyond her control and is not what she did. She didn't spill water on you, she didn't give you the flip comment about ruining the day. That was done by the other child and the husband... NOT HER. If you blame her for this all and not only ruin one birthday but the next one as her "punishment"- you're being too harsh, IMO. Kids have attitudes sometimes... and kids almost ALWAYS do not appreciate what moms/parents do for them, atleast at this young age. They just don't get it. It's part of being a mom (atleast in my experience). Do all the work, don't get appreciated for it by the children- atleast not until they are older.

Well that's my opinion.. you overreacted and punished your daughter quite harshly for just one moment of attitude... on her BIRTHDAY. I, like someone else mentioned, am quite a bit more lenient on attitude, misbehavior, etc. on one of my (3) children's birthdays.. it's their day, it's not the day to "teach" them respect, how to behave, etc. I am not saying I'd allow serious misbehavior- but one tiny second of attitude when you didn't hear her? And for that punished one, maybe two birthdays?? Yes, overreacted and being too harsh.

I personally think there is more to this and it was your boiling point. And I think it has a lot to do with your husband. I think you were upset with his comment, it was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. What the children did were nowhere NEAR bad enough to walk out on a birthday celebration. Atleast IMO.

Only because the spilling of the water reminded me of it am I going to share this little tidbit: Yesterday on our way to my youngest sons hockey practice we are driving along when I hear a load pop. I look over and my son is covered in a white powder substance. It turns out the homemade stress balls that they made on the last day of school (a regular balloon filled with corn starch with a face drawn on it) had popped, something I warned (a number of times) was going to happen if he didn't stop streching it out in the manner that he was. My first inclination was to say I told you so and get upset at the huge mess he made in my truck. But as I gained my composure and looked around to find that we were both covered in corn starch I just started laughing my butt off. (this wasn't a long process it happened in a matter of seconds) He seemed a little perplexed at my reaction and thought I was laughing at him. It took a few seconds and we both were laughing so hard that I was honked at to move from a red light that had turned green. This really doesn't add anything to this discussion I realize, but I have overreacted in the past to similar situations and reading this topic for the first time this morning makes me so happy that I reacted the way I did to something rather insignificant. Instead of remember the time he screwed up and made a huge mess we will remember this and laugh our butts off again. I just wish I had the presence of mind to use that stupid camera phone and get a shot of his face covered in starch.

HockeyDadof2 said:
This really doesn't add anything to this discussion I realize, but I have overreacted in the past to similar situations and reading this topic for the first time this morning makes me so happy that I reacted the way I did to something rather insignificant. Instead of remember the time he screwed up and made a huge mess we will remember this and laugh our butts off again.
Good for you. :)

HockeyDadof2 said:
My first inclination was to say I told you so and get upset at the huge mess he made in my truck. But as I gained my composure and looked around to find that we were both covered in corn starch I just started laughing my butt off.

That's so funny! Good for you for not getting upset. Laugh and then have your son clean up the mess. Parenting is the hardest job there is, but also the most rewarding in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter